Temperature question

Fx10

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2007
I wasn't sure what forum to put this in, but since it's a more general home-built system question I thought this one would it would best fit here.

I've got a new system assembled and am wondering what I should be getting as far as temperatures go. I'm fairly new at this and am unsure of what's in a good range, and what I should look into.

These are idle temps

CPU e6600 running at 32c (consensus of my mobo software, speedfan, and coretemp) My motherboard reports that the cpu fan (stock intel) is running at 1700 rpm and that's triggering a fan failing warning. Anyone know what speed it should be running at? 1700 seems quite low.

System temp: 45c (should the system temp be higher than the cpu temp?)

Graphics: 8800gts running at 55c (I'm a complete newb at what this should be running at).

Are these inline for normal temps? Am I approaching a meltdown?

Mondoman

Splendid
Your CPU temp seems fine (you can stress it by running something like Orthos). Your system temp seems high (if not dangerously so), probably because of all the heat your graphics card is putting out. I'd consider improving your case ventilation -- ideally your system temp should be close to your ambient room temp.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
The temp values are fine.
The system temp higher than cpu is odd, meaning that if true the cpu is not the primary source for heat. Must be the 8800.
See if you can adjust the alarm threshold for the cpu fan speed down. No sense getting false alarms.
You did not give specs, but it sounds like better case airflow could drop your system temps as well as the 8800's.

proof

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
My 8800s are not really that hot... At least they don't heat the case up too much. I do have 3 fans sucking every single molecule of hot air from them though... Man is my computer loud... The ONE thing I am dissapointed about is how loud those 120cfm fans are. (120x38)

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
If your fans are powered through the motherboard, download a free program called Speedfan (google it) to turn them down and cut the noise.
If not, then an inexpensive fan speed controller with rheostats that fits in a 5 1/4 bay will cut voltage to the molex style connectors.

Fx10

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2007
My case is a Lian Li 60plusbII (Newegg Reference) which has 2 80mm fans blowing out (back and top), one 120 blowing out (side) and one 120 blowing in.

I'm thinking of switching the top fan around so it sucks in, as the length of the 8800 and the hard drive cage blocks off a lot of airflow into the top area of the case. And the air it is blowing out doesn't appear to be that hot anyway, especially compared to the side fan.

The downside of the board is that the 8800 is right on top of the heatsink for the southbridge. Which I'm sure can't be good. I should probably jury rig a fan to blow on it somehow.

I'm not sure what to do with the side fan as of now, currently it's lined up so that it's sucking air from over the top and the bottom of the card and blowing out. Is that better than having it sucking in?

As as a last question (not really experienced with cooling, so I'm sure this is a remedial one), but what should I be looking at for max temps? After 5 or so hours of gaming this afternoon my proc and case toped out at 50-51, and my 8800 stayed at a steady 65.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
...I'm thinking of switching the top fan around so it sucks in, as the length of the 8800 and the hard drive cage blocks off a lot of airflow into the top area of the case. And the air it is blowing out doesn't appear to be that hot anyway, especially compared to the side fan...
Top fans should never suck, alway blow out. Same with upper rear fans. Heat rises.
Front fans are usually mounted low and should suck cool air into the case.
Side fans are usually mounted low and should suck cool air into the case.