Sign in with
Your question

Power Requirements

Last response: in Systems
April 20, 2007 12:12:50 AM

Hi Guys,

I recently started building a new computer with the plans to upgrade it over time, and after my first upgrade i've had a bit of a problem.

Initially a bought;
Pentium D 3.0GHz Dual Core
1 GB PC 5300 RAM
250 GB Sata HDD
Asus P5VD2-MX motherboard
running on a 400watt PSU.

The other day i bought a Albatron 6600GTS 3d card and another 1gb of RAM and now i can't boot to windows.

My initial thought was that perhaps the 400watt PSU couldn't supply enough power to everything at once, so i wanted some input on how much power you think i should have, or any other thoughts on what's going on...

Thanks

More about : power requirements

April 20, 2007 12:45:18 AM

You will have to tell us what PSU you have not just the wattage.

Look at the sticker on the side of the PSU, and tell us what is says on the graph.
April 20, 2007 6:51:11 AM

more details will help but I think I would look for something other than PSU. Try taking the new stuff out and trying it again
Related resources
April 20, 2007 3:24:56 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for the help - i found the problem. The new stick of RAM was faulty - so i'll have to return it and get a new one. Damn it pisses me off when stuff is broken out of the box. Can't be helped though i suppose.

I invested in a new PSU anyways just to be on the safe side - the generic 400watt crap-job that came with the basic case i bought can't have been of too higher quality.
April 20, 2007 9:08:04 PM

Quote:
Hey guys,

Thanks for the help - i found the problem. The new stick of RAM was faulty - so i'll have to return it and get a new one. Damn it pisses me off when stuff is broken out of the box. Can't be helped though i suppose.

I invested in a new PSU anyways just to be on the safe side - the generic 400watt crap-job that came with the basic case i bought can't have been of too higher quality.

Good find. I had a friend who's PC didnt turn on one day bc his ram DIED.

No go ADATA.
April 20, 2007 9:58:50 PM

Mmm - this is not the first time RAM has caused me headaches... i guess i can't complain - it's to be expected when all you buy is cheep generic RAM
April 22, 2007 12:56:08 AM

Quote:
Mmm - this is not the first time RAM has caused me headaches... i guess i can't complain - it's to be expected when all you buy is cheep generic RAM

I bought cheap generic ram twice, and used it on Dells. Not one issue to date.
Thats because I bought Kingston...

Kingston Value Ram= Good
Kingston HyperX= EXPENSIVE but very good
!