Global Contact Access with PPC Problem

July 14, 2005 10:09:01 AM

Hi,

Hoping somebody can help me with a problem I'm having with getting Microsoft
Global Contact Access to work on a I-Mate PDA running Pocket PC 2003 SE.

Tha application installs OK but on attempt to connect back to my Exchange
2003 Server (after keying in credentials and servername) a "Unable to connect
to email server" is displayed.

Exchange Mobile ActiveSync and OMA both work fully on the device. No error
messages logged in Windows 2003 logs.

Sorry if this post is in the wrong section. (Maybe Exchange Setup?)
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 10:35:29 PM

Shanel <Shanel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Hoping somebody can help me with a problem I'm having with getting Microsoft
>Global Contact Access to work on a I-Mate PDA running Pocket PC 2003 SE.
>
>Tha application installs OK but on attempt to connect back to my Exchange
>2003 Server (after keying in credentials and servername) a "Unable to connect
>to email server" is displayed.
>
>Exchange Mobile ActiveSync and OMA both work fully on the device. No error
>messages logged in Windows 2003 logs.
>
>Sorry if this post is in the wrong section. (Maybe Exchange Setup?)

Uncheck the "forms" box in the GCA properties. This assumes you have
OWA up and running properly on the Exchange server.
July 18, 2005 1:10:01 AM

"Ed Hansberry, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices" wrote:

> Shanel <Shanel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >Hoping somebody can help me with a problem I'm having with getting Microsoft
> >Global Contact Access to work on a I-Mate PDA running Pocket PC 2003 SE.
> >
> >Tha application installs OK but on attempt to connect back to my Exchange
> >2003 Server (after keying in credentials and servername) a "Unable to connect
> >to email server" is displayed.
> >
> >Exchange Mobile ActiveSync and OMA both work fully on the device. No error
> >messages logged in Windows 2003 logs.
> >
> >Sorry if this post is in the wrong section. (Maybe Exchange Setup?)
>
> Uncheck the "forms" box in the GCA properties. This assumes you have
> OWA up and running properly on the Exchange server.
> Ed Hansberry (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of all)
> What is on my Pocket PC? http://www.ehansberry.com/
> Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices www.pocketpc.com
> What is an MVP? - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Thanks for the reply Ed. I forgot to mention that I also have OWA working on
the Server with Forms Based Authentication enabled. I have tried logging on
from the PDA using Global Contact Access with the Forms box ticked & unticked
with unsuccessful results with both. Any other ideas?
The Server is a Windows 2003 SBS Machine with ISA 2000 installed.
July 18, 2005 1:57:45 PM

I'm having the same problem, even after verifying that Forms Based Authentication should be set. Tried all combinations and variations of username and domain fully qualified or not and it's just not working. The Microsoft user 'guide' says that you will have problems when you're roaming, i.e., not connected directly to your mobile operator. Is this just for numpties who don't realise when they're abroad they might not get Internet access ? Otherwise, it shouldn't make any difference, as if you're connected you're connected, full stop. Anyway, if anyone has a solution or ideas, do let us know.

Thanks :)

July 18, 2005 8:32:02 PM

"huddie" wrote:

> I'm having the same problem, even after verifying that Forms Based Authentication should be set. Tried all combinations and variations of username and domain fully qualified or not and it's just not working. The Microsoft user 'guide' says that you will have problems when you're roaming, i.e., not connected directly to your mobile operator. Is this just for numpties who don't realise when they're abroad they might not get Internet access ? Otherwise, it shouldn't make any difference, as if you're connected you're connected, full stop. Anyway, if anyone has a solution or ideas, do let us know.
>
> Thanks :)

> Thanks for your input Huddie.I was beginning to think I was the only one who was having this problem. Hopefully somebody has some information which will point us in the right direction.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 6:25:40 AM

"huddie" wrote:

> I'm having the same problem, even after verifying that Forms Based Authentication should be set. Tried all combinations and variations of username and domain fully qualified or not and it's just not working. The Microsoft user 'guide' says that you will have problems when you're roaming, i.e., not connected directly to your mobile operator. Is this just for numpties who don't realise when they're abroad they might not get Internet access ? Otherwise, it shouldn't make any difference, as if you're connected you're connected, full stop. Anyway, if anyone has a solution or ideas, do let us know.
>
> Thanks :)

> Thanks for your input Huddie.I was beginning to think I was the only one who was having this problem. Hopefully somebody has some information which will point us in the right direction.

Same problem here; QTEK 9090. Tried all variants of tick-boxes but no joy.