Can someone dumb this paragraph down for me please?

MotoR6er

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2007
I know very little about overclocking but I have read a lot of the beginners stuff on Toms Hardware about overclocking.... I was going over this paragraph..

" After finding a motherboard to support the ultra-high bus speed and a cooling system to support the added heat and decreased heat tolerance, the next consideration is memory. The lowest available 1:1 CPU-to-DRAM ratio will require at least DDR2-667 (PC2-5300) to assure stability at 333 MHz clock speeds, and DDR2-800 (PC2-6400) to assure stability at 400 MHz. We chose DDR2-1000, using CL4-4-4-8 timings, to ensure reasonable performance at all speeds, at a constant 1:1 ratio to guarantee consistent performance scaling. Dual-channel mode allowed the double data rate DDR2 memory to have the same bandwidth as the quad data rate CPU Front Side Bus while running synchronous clock speeds."

Can someone tell me what the 1:1 ratio means? I really don't understand that last sentance either. If you don't want to type out the answer can you aim me to a link that explains it? Thanks in advance :)

inuyashafly

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2005
Your memory MHZ speed is set from your fsb speed as is your cpu. Intel, STUPIDLY, still uses their fsb system instead of a hyper transport. but you dont need to worry about that part. the fsb is 4 times the mhz that you set. if you set 266 your fsb is 4x266 set 333 its 4x333. your cpu frequency is set off that same number but cpus have larger multipliers and e6600 default multiplier is 9 so at default it is 9x266 2.4ghz with a fsb of 4x266 1066mhz. memory speed is set off that same number having DDR is Double Data Rate so if the fsb is 266 1 to 1 ration your memory is running at 533mhz you can set your multiplier to 1 1.5 2 2.5 ect so if you have a memory ratio of 1:1 it is twice the number you set as fsb base. so for DDR2 800mhz with a 266 clock and a 9 multiplier for your cpu your fsb is 1066 your cpu is 2.4 your ram is 533. you would want to set your ratio to 1.5. but wen overlcoking you might set your clock to 400mhz, so your cpu at 9x400 fsb 4x400 you would then want your ram at 2x(or 1x depending on your bios) that may be more confusing or maybe not but the real problem is there are so many ways to say the same number. at the store 800mhz ddr2 BUT in many places on your computer it might be called 400mhz so a 1:1 ratio can also be confusing term its more like 4x1:2x1

Well I hope that helped here is one more example. its my clock settings
333 mhz clock
e6600 at 9x(333) so like 2.8ghz or2.9ghz or somthing
fsb 4x(333) 1200mhz or somthing
ram 2.5x(333) 833mhz also can be called 415mhz wich could also be called a 1:1.5
DDR=Double Data Rate

RJ

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
I know very little about overclocking but I have read a lot of the beginners stuff on Toms Hardware about overclocking.... I was going over this paragraph..

" After finding a motherboard to support the ultra-high bus speed and a cooling system to support the added heat and decreased heat tolerance, the next consideration is memory. The lowest available 1:1 CPU-to-DRAM ratio will require at least DDR2-667 (PC2-5300) to assure stability at 333 MHz clock speeds, and DDR2-800 (PC2-6400) to assure stability at 400 MHz. We chose DDR2-1000, using CL4-4-4-8 timings, to ensure reasonable performance at all speeds, at a constant 1:1 ratio to guarantee consistent performance scaling. Dual-channel mode allowed the double data rate DDR2 memory to have the same bandwidth as the quad data rate CPU Front Side Bus while running synchronous clock speeds."

Can someone tell me what the 1:1 ratio means? I really don't understand that last sentance either. If you don't want to type out the answer can you aim me to a link that explains it? Thanks in advance :)

STOCK.....my CPU runs at 266 mhz, while my memory(DDR2-800) is at 400 mhz. If you left the CPU speed alone, you could run DDR2-533 memory sticks at a 1:1 ratio, because the memory's frequency is 266 mhz.

DDR means Double Data Rate because it sends info on the up wave and the down wave. DDR2-800 is actually running at 400 mhz, but since it's sending info on both ups and downs. it's acting like an 800 mhz frequency.

Now imagine you want to get on a highway with a 65 mph speed. If you and everyone in front of you and behind you are going 65 mph on the onramp, you'll all blend into traffic pretty effortlessly. You'll be "syncronous" with the existing traffic. Now if you decide to speed up to 75 on the onramp, you're going to have to slow up if you expect to be able to blend into traffic efficiently. That's kind of what the divider is. It's the traffic cop to make sure everyone is going the same speed on the FSB highway. If everything is already going the same speed, that traffic cop has a lot less work to do. A 1:1 ratio is mainly useful for reaching your maximum fsb when overclocking. DDR2-533 gives you a 266 mhz max, DDR2-667 gives you a 333 mhz max, DDR2-800 gives you a 400 mhz max, and DDR2-1000 gives you a 500 mhz max fsb, all at a 1:1 divider ratio. Before anyone wets their pants over the last statement, that's the max you can EXPECT. Just like the CPUs, memory has a bit of headroom for overclocking. I have a set of DDR2-800 memory sticks that would easily reach DDR2-900 speeds. Of course, the rest of the system has to be capable of reaching these higher frequencies you're shooting for.

The last sentence in your quote is one of those mind-mucking useless sentences. Do you need to know the workings of a transmission to know if it's working correctly? Don't try to figure it out until after you wrap your head around the whole FSB setting/memory speed/CPU multiplier/memory divider deal. It's a bit much to try and take in all at once.

MotoR6er

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2007
That really does make a lot more sense. I didn't realize the FSB controlled the speeds of memory and the cpu. Thanks a lot for taking the time to type that out guys. I really appreciate it.

inuyashafly

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2005
Yea, I learned alot from people here so I figure I should give back, ya know? :)

Hey what I do alot now is wikipeda things. like you see some term you dont understand like PEG link mode or somthing wikipedia it. I get so much info off of wikipedia its nuts. I read all about sata, sata2, mother board chipsets, any kind of terms, CPUs, EVERYTHING!