Sign in with
Your question

How to install screensaver

Last response: in Windows XP
December 19, 2006 4:43:27 PM

My Friends: I liked a screensaver I saw on another computer and saved the *.scr file to floppy. I am trying to install this screensaver on to my computer but am stuck. I tried looking for a "browse" option under "Screensavers" but could not find any. Any ideas how to do this? Windows XP Pro.Thanks.

More about : install screensaver

December 19, 2006 4:58:58 PM

Place it in C:\WINDOWS\System32
--Make sure that the screensaver starts with " ss " e.g.. if the
screensaver name is " pictures " rename it to " sspictures"

found that on google, hope it helps! I don't use ss's myself
December 19, 2006 8:15:58 PM

Eh? What do you do Cheezie? Stand by?
Related resources
December 19, 2006 8:30:36 PM

let it hibernate, my monitor is old and crap, if you wiggle the cord in the back the monitor shuts off... so instead of leaving something on it all the time, I let it go into power save mode so it doesn't blow up when not in use :) 
December 19, 2006 8:43:34 PM

You never thought of putting it out of its misery with magnets yet? How evil and harsh of you :p 
December 19, 2006 8:47:15 PM

Waiting till I get my big screen, then my 21" LCD is going to be my new monitor :D 
December 20, 2006 12:57:35 AM

And may it be broken in with many hours of gaming... 8)
December 20, 2006 3:44:41 AM

CHEEZball is correct about spelling and location.

Once you've done that, right-click your Desktop - Properties - Screensaver. Choose the new one - Apply - Ok.
December 20, 2006 8:34:43 PM

CHEEZball and others: Thanks for your replies. I just dragged it "as is" to my C:\Windows\System32 folder and it just appeared in my list of available screensavers just like that! Selected it, apply, OK, and it was that simple. Thanks again Cheezie!!!
September 2, 2009 10:51:39 PM

:bounce: 
Just right click on the Screen Saver file, then click install.
!