need to build a low power computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

rahimiv

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2003
I need to build a low end computer that draws less power idle for tasks like downloading. It doesn't have to be fancy just that it won't draw a huge amount of power from the grid. I left my computer on forever and recently turned it off when not used and the savings on my electrical bill was significant. Any pointers on this?

kitchenshark

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
I suppose it comes down to how LOW you want to go.

About the ultimate in low power is the AMD Geode offerings or something in the way of VIA chips for microITX motherboards.

NOT looking at a lot of horsepower there, but enough to run XP and do office type stuff and downloading.

A couple links to help get you started if you're interested.

VIA: http://www.via.com.tw/en/initiatives/spearhead/mini-itx/

AMD Geode: http://wwwd.amd.com/catalog/salescat.nsf/doclookupweb/25918BEBCC7071CF862572970038C606?OpenDocument&id=WinMate+Communication+INC.+~AMD+Geode+LX-800+500MHz

rahimiv

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2003
So how about those mini form factor computers?

How much am I expected to spend on a simple computer that is based on a AMD Geode anyways (not going to use a case)

their power draw is comparable to a laptop right?

kitchenshark

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
I've been thinking about it, and you'd probably be happier and be less expensive to go VIA. I haven't found much on the Geode line from AMD.

Here's the MB and proc:

http://www.google.com/products?q=via+mini+itx&btnG=Search+Products

And cases:

http://www.google.com/products?q=via+mini+itx+case&btnG=Search&show=dd

Plus the ITX standard is compatible with more standard PC parts I believe

EDIT: Well, it looks like I found this on the Geode finally: http://www.google.com/products?q=amd+geode+motherboard&btnG=Search&show=dd

Mobius

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002
I built my media server on VIAs EPIA platform. With two 320GB HDDs it draws 23 watts when usage is high, and as low as 11 when the drives have been idled.

It's a bloody useless PC - but it's fine for serving music and movies across the Wifi network to my media streamers.

Saves about $27 a month in power.

rahimiv

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2003
I saw in shops they sold PC's the size of a playstation 2. I wonder is that what mini ITX is? dont need to be a super powerful PC.. I just need something that can run bittorrent and/or bots like OpenKore (I found a private server that allows botting..)

thanks for the advise... might actually look into this...

Just get a lowend Core2 like the e4300 at stock speed or a 65W amd chip. Get a case that has a PSU maybe a 400W or something. A large passive cooler and an exhaust fan. Set your pc's power saving settings to go to sleep when you aren't using it. Just stick with a single hard drive and that's all. Either that or get one of those slim PC from dell or HP or something. They use the lower powered laptop chips and use very low power.

bliq

Distinguished
I suppose it comes down to how LOW you want to go.

About the ultimate in low power is the AMD Geode offerings or something in the way of VIA chips for microITX motherboards.

NOT looking at a lot of horsepower there, but enough to run XP and do office type stuff and downloading.

A couple links to help get you started if you're interested.

VIA: http://www.via.com.tw/en/initiatives/spearhead/mini-itx/

AMD Geode: http://wwwd.amd.com/catalog/salescat.nsf/doclookupweb/25918BEBCC7071CF862572970038C606?OpenDocument&id=WinMate+Communication+INC.+~AMD+Geode+LX-800+500MHz

Fry's used to sell a Geode 1750NX machine with 128MB RAM, 40GB HDD, and a CDRW for $99. With Linspire. Or whatever they're called now. Awesome deal, I wish I would have taken advantage of it.

santocg

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
i built one low power computer with scrap lying in the garage recently.
Specs:
Pentium 166 MMX underclocked to 133Mhz @1.8V
128 MB SDRAM
20 GB 2.5" Laptop HDD
SiS 530 based mother board
Dlink Ethernet adapter.

The whole setup now draws very little power. Removed the stock hearsink that was stuck and replaced it with an old P3 heatsink with the fan removed. It barely gets warm to touch.

I get more than 20 hours backup on my 300VA UPS running on a 60Ah car battery.

During the day i can completely run the computer off the grid via 40W Solar Panels.

You can get better power efficiency if you use the newer Mini ITX or Pico ITX boards.....but for this config i did not spend a dime.

usao

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009
I have been looking for a computer which uses less than 10W power total.
I ran accross the following links, some of which report under 1W usage.

http://www.picotux.com/
http://gumstix.com/
http://www.norhtec.com/

fabphil

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
For downloading from a low power device you would really be hard pressed to beat an ARM based NAS running linux like a SLU2, DLink DNS 323, etc... If you don't mind a little bit of linux work you can run a device that uses a handful of watts has it's own HDD that only gets spun up when it's needed and it can run all of your favourite downloaders. The HDD adds a few watts when its spinning but thats all. Even the fan only runs when it needs to.

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Hello susanpret88,

@ rahimiv If botting and low power computing for DLing is what you desire I would absolutely have to suggest th Intel platform of the Atom 330 @ 1.6GHz on Intel D945GCLF2: 41W idle, 45W loaded.

It is well efficient enough to run those tasks and more. I tend to stay away from via platforms except for CarPCs That are only really going to be a low power media Pc (no HD.) Even then I would choose something like the Via C7 2.0 GHZ with the jetway J7f5M motherboard combo. This route is much pricier than buying Intel but it does use less power (toss up), it has DVI and Atom D945GCLF does not. Aslo while the C7 2.0Ghz is a decent processor it does not have the balls of the Atom dual core 330 @ 1.6 ghz).

http://www.mini-itx.com/store/basket.asp?action=add&product=1693&qty=1&c=34

I have personally used both these boards and others. Aside from particular reasons to use another board for other purposes there is no reason why either one of these Specified Motherboard combos will not get the job done and then some if you would like. Be mindful that if you need DVI get the J7F5M motherboard if you do not do yourself a favor and get the Atom 330 D945GCLF (this board will even run MAC OSX10.5.5). It is your choice Mate. Their are plenty to choose from. Look around @

www.mini-itx.com

www.logicsupply.com

www.mini-box.com

www.intel.com/go/miniITX

www.minipc.ca

www.itxdepot.com

www.TigerDirect.com

www.mitxpc.com

I could go on and on with links but, I'm sure you will find what you need within one of these Sites.

Also a good way to keep down those watts is to use a solid state PSU such as a Pico PSU or better. Look around Mate you will find it all. Its just a click away. :bounce:

animammal

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Hi ya!

I need some advice, I'm looking to put together a file server using very low power hw and freenas. So, I thought the Jetway J7F3 AMD Geode NX1750 Mainboard + 2x 500gb 2.5" hdd's. although this would be great for a home file server, I need it for a small office with 5 pcs which will use it for there main network storage. I will also be connecting 2x external HDDs for backup through bacula. Seeing as there are no media requirements, is the geode powerfull enough?

Cheers

This is an example of a necro thread that was revived for a good reason. I can even see justification to give low powered systems their own forum. With many of the articles by Mr. Roos and Mr. Schmid targeting low power issues and higher demand by people like RVers, Greens and other off the grid people it makes sense to give low powered fans a place they can call their own.

Ron Finegan

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
have you looked at the Fit-pc2. runs on 6 watts. and is smaller then a CD.
with all the power of a desktop. check out www.fit-pc.ie

bubbahotep

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
there is a tool to automatically put computers into standby or wake them up at certain times or using WOL.

That helps conumers, schools and universities as well as companies significantly reduce their energy cost for IT and reduce their carbon footprint at the same time.

Have a look at http://www.itpowersaving.com
They calim that between 20% and 60% of Desktop PC are left on at night or over weekends at that even with 5 computers in your office network, electricity savings amount to $400 a year.

University of Berkeley has evaluated the current leading power-saving solutions and eventually chose our software to automate campus PC power-saving. Read about their case at: http://greensoda.cs.berkeley.edu/wiki/index.php/Desktop
Univ of Berkley has also linked ASDM to wireless power meters in order to precisely measure actual energy saved vs. an estimate.
As you can see their results are quite impressive.

best regards,
Babba

gjimmy

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
This thread is nearly 3 years old !
Low powered motherboards and PC's have come a long way in that time.
A bit like the difference between a Penny farthing and a racing bike.

Technology sites such as this always suffer from this problem. The guy who originally asked the question asked it so long ago, that he's probably forgotten asking it ! and probably doesn't care anymore.

eliasalberto

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
gjimmy, even if it is a old thread, it is very useful for other people. I googled for low power server and got here, so this info was useful and hope it will be more useful to other people as it is updated.

I've bought a clamp-multimeter in order to measure the power they drain. My mains voltage is 127v. Here are the results:
- Browsing the web with many open tabs (Dell Core 2 Duo @ 50% load, 2+2gb ram, medium lcd brightness): 0.3 A (38.1W)
- Idle desktop computer (Athlon XP 2500+, 1+0.5gb ram, 2 sata hd, no monitor): 1.1 A (140W)
- Full load (computing huge factorial at windows calc, heh) desktop computer (the same one): 1.5 A (190W)
- CRT monitor: 0A at standby, 0.5A powered on with medium brightness (64W)
- CRT 23" TV: 0.6 A (76W)
- 2.1 soundspeakers, 28W RMS: 0.1A at standby or medium power (13W), 0.3A at full power (38W)

I spend lots of time at the computer everyday, frequently leaving it powered on between "real world" tasks. As soon I realized I could use the notebook for most of my tasks spending 40W instead of using 200W desktop computer, I almost stopped using my desktop. This started to make me thing about making things more energy efficient.

Recently we felt the need for a home file/print server. 5 people in one house, 3 notebooks plus one destop... such a hassle keeping up where are all files. Since we already use sun heating for water and fluorescent bulbs, I don't think it would be smart to leave powered on forever a 140W PC idle most of the time just to download torrents and share files and printer across the network, so I got a NAS which is supposed to do this stuff.
Obviously, things could not be perfect. The nas itself has lots of limitations on speeds and management, and spends 10W on full load (downloading stuff) and a little less when idle. I bought a USB 500gb 3.5" HD to attach to the nas, so the HD also needs some energy to spend (accordingly to http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp it is 10w per sata hd or 17w per pata (ide) hd). Linear power supplies for my adsl modem, wireless router, nas, external 3.5" HD... Why not put everything being powered by a single (more efficient) switching power supply? I have lots of working AT PSUs around, so I could use one of them. Meanwhile, I've been looking for some kind of simple cheap networked media player I could plug into my network to stream music from internet and from the NAS, and found only very expensive ones. Staring at my huge collection of old PCs, I started to wonder if I could make any of them efficient enough to be powered all day long without costing me too much.

Then I wrote some guidelines:
- Leave the PC only with the essential hardware, putting away everything unnecessary that could spend energy.
- No monitor. I should control the computer using LogMeIn or other remote computing feature.
- Use some sort of hardware to allow media playback control without the need of a screen. Options are: keyboard shortcuts, IR remote control or a simple web interface I could access from my mobile (my cellphone does not have wifi, but it is able to browse the internet using bluetooth PAN if there's a computer with bluetooth around - having a always-on PC would also be good to provide bluetooth internet for the cellphone all the time). There's also a bluetooth app which enables the use of the cellphone as a mouse or a basic remote controller for media player, but it is not enough e.g. to handle playlists.
- Need usb port at least for the external 500gb drive and for bluetooth dongle. I think some of the not-too-old motherboards have two onboard usbs, I may then use a usb hub if I need more ports.
- Need some easy way to share the files with windows computers.
- Underclocking and undervolting to ensure it will spend as little energy as possible.
- Use a light OS, maybe TinyXP or DamnSmallLinux, whichever makes it easier to remotely play music, queue downloads or torrents, and demands lower power.
- As I said, older hd drives spend more energy. So, if needed, I could use a SSD to boot the OS (there are some cool CF-to-IDE adapters out there). But I've read somewhere about network boot, if it enables me to dispose of the hard disk it will be great.
- Eventually I may start using the computer for some simple automation tasks, through software and hardware (serial or parallel port) I may develop.

But I started to figure out some problems:
- Will I really be able to make the computer (processor, motherboard, ram, NIC, soundcard, hd) be energy-efficient enought to spend total of 20 or 40 watts? My NAS setup should use 10w for the HD and other 10w for the sata HD, plus some watts for the sata/usb converter.
- I have some 286, 386, pentium 75, pentium 133, pentium 166 and celeron 700. Among the ones I have, what's the processor that would suit better the requirements (low power, underclockability) and give the best performance?
- What would be the minimum RAM amount needed? The oldest pcs only take EDO pc66 memory, and I think I only have 4*16Mb of it. I have around 128 or 256mb DIMM pc100/pc133 ram. If I need more to be able to do network booting, I might find some 512mb to buy, though they're rare.
- I'm unsure about if DSL, tinyxp or other os would be more suitable for this task. Any guess?

Status
Not open for further replies.