exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Anyone know if the activation for MS applications (Office, Visual Studio, Frontpage, etc.) is based on the internal harware, or is it based on the XP activation?

If I do a fresh install of Vista on a new or a re-formatted drive, will all of my MS apps require me to call MS and transfer my license on each - or is the activation tied in with the internal hardware key?

Solution
It is almost certainly hardware based like XP.

Recently I reformated my PC to start afresh with some new drivers. I changed the driver for my motherboard. For some reason, this didn't give me trouble with the XP installation (I have an OEM version that never prompts me for a license or activation, so it might have a totally different way of identifying my PC). However, for my retail version of office I got into my first ever activation snaffu, forcing my to phone home to MS and explain myself. Apparently, office did a system check, saw the new drivers, assumed a new mobo, and cried fowl. The best part was that the bastard at the MS activation center told me my copy was only licensed for two PCs and I would have to uninstall from one...

mattthenewb

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2003
It is almost certainly hardware based like XP.

Recently I reformated my PC to start afresh with some new drivers. I changed the driver for my motherboard. For some reason, this didn't give me trouble with the XP installation (I have an OEM version that never prompts me for a license or activation, so it might have a totally different way of identifying my PC). However, for my retail version of office I got into my first ever activation snaffu, forcing my to phone home to MS and explain myself. Apparently, office did a system check, saw the new drivers, assumed a new mobo, and cried fowl. The best part was that the bastard at the MS activation center told me my copy was only licensed for two PCs and I would have to uninstall from one, even though my product explicitly stated it could work on 3 PCs. All this after having used the product on 3 PCs with no problem for months. Luckily, for whatever reason, the problem fixed itself and the software activated, no thanks to M$.

Throughout this my version and license of XP was constant. Only hardware (actually, only a driver) changed.

Solution