Sign in with
Your question

Need advise on quick connect drives!

Last response: in Storage
April 20, 2007 3:08:28 AM

Is there a device or something that I caninstall in my Home built PC that would allow me to pull one hard drive out and stick another in. This way I could switch between vista and xp with out dual boot.Bruce
a b G Storage
April 20, 2007 10:47:32 PM

You cant switch between OS'es like that with out a reboot. You can use a Virtual PC (VMWare, Microsoft Virtual PC) to run XP under Vista however.
April 21, 2007 5:29:58 AM

If you really want separate hard drives you can buy a hard drive cage. They fit in a 5.25'' bay. Of course, you'd probably want two of them because it'd be a pain to remove one hard drive out of the cage and put in a second one.
But, you might be able to get away with keeping your Primary o/s hard drive inside your case and use the cage for your 2nd o/s by editing the boot.ini file. Anyone else wanna confirm this?
Related resources
April 22, 2007 12:44:29 AM

I realize that you can't switch hard drives with out a boot. The cages sounds good because one drive will have to be disconnected so you could boot to the other, Thanks Bruce
a b G Storage
April 22, 2007 5:32:45 PM

You need to buy a mobile rack or two. They are hot swappable, but since you intend on switching out the OS drive, then hot swappable is meaningless.

Example:

iStarUSA T-7SATA - For SATA Drives

Vantec MRK-102FD-BK EZ - For IDE Drives

You may want to buy two of them (of the same model) so you don't have to bother with disconnecting / reconnecting the two OS drives in the inner casing, and then side it into the open bay. Plus doing so can cause wear and tear on the cables.
April 22, 2007 7:18:36 PM

Thanks, I will get a couple of racks and I will use which ever I want to boot to. Thanks Bruce
!