Stop Encrypting!!!

deusex

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Everytime I create/drag a file to somewhere new, the file is automatically encrypted by Windows - anyone know how to stop this "Feature"?

CHEEZball

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
is this happening in every folder? or just one in particular??

This is what I found... it shows how to enable it, i'd assume it's just as easy to turn off

Okay, here’s how to enable the Encrypting File System on a computer using NTFS. Log on to your user account and open Windows Explorer. Right click the folder you would like to encrypt and select Properties. On the General tab, click Advanced and the Advanced Attributes dialog box will appear.

Select the Encrypt Contents To Secure Data checkbox. If you’re encrypting a folder, Windows XP will enquire whether you want to encrypt all the files and subfolders in that folder, or only the folder itself. Make your choice and click OK to close the Advanced Attributes dialog box. Click OK again to close the Properties dialog box.

From now on all files inside the folder will be automatically encrypted and filenames will appear green in Windows Explorer. Any unauthorised users trying to access your encrypted files will receive a User Does Not Have Access Privileges message. Note that if you wish to share encrypted files, other users may be granted access by returning to the Advanced Attributes dialog box.

deusex

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I have Z/A FIrewall running/KAspersky as AV, and SpySweep as AS...

I'm the only one who uses this laptop...?

---If I check the encrypt box again to decrypt it, and move it to another place - same thing happens...

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
boss I don't think we are not helping, I think we don't know what to tell you either, that is very unusual, as pscowboy said perhaps somebody is messing with your PC, if its not another user then maybe you have been hacked.

again not sure what to tell you on that one.

deusex

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I uncheck, and it geives me two options, it decrypts, but i have to do it every single time i create or move a file to a new place...

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
You can't live with that.

Get free scans from SpySweeper & AVG first. That'll cost you about 2-3 hours.

Then do a Repair install - pop in XP cd - restart - boot to cd - hit Enter at the first repair screen - hit R at the next repair screen. DO NOT BOOT TO THE CD on the next two restarts.

deusex

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I've done a few scans before - is there any other way I can remove this nuisance (registry, delete a value, uncheck something...) without fiddling with Windows XP installation repair? - have done too much repairs and cannot stand them...

deffensp_80

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
I would guess when you encrypted a file previously the encryption attribute got enabled for the whole desktop folder. Then any moves, etc. from the desktop would end up encrypting. Easy to miss because the actual desktop folder doesn't show up in the explorer window unless you navigate to SystemDrive\Documents and Settings\Username\ and find the folder there. Then right click on desktop and remove the encryption attribute for the folder and all sub folders.