IE7 won't open links from Outlook Express

Gyro1949

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
(I have no idea where my original post to this problem went to, it looks like it's in this forum, but it's not here. So I'm entering it, here, where I know people browse and respond.)

A friend of mine asked if I could tell him why he can’t directly open a link in IE7 from Outlook Express 6 when he clicks on it.

I took a look, (without my glasses,) and saw that IE would start up, but the link wasn’t showing up in the URL field. He had to copy the link to it to get it to work.

Looking at his OE settings, and glancing through his IE settings didn’t show much to me that explained the behavior.

I never had a problem with it, myself, as it’s always worked, possibly by default.

He’s running Windows XP, though I don’t know if it’s “Home” or “Pro.” (I’m back at my PC, searching to no end, and now asking.)

Anyone have a clue as to what setting or option may need to be tweaked on that Sony VIAO laptop to get it to work like virtually everyone else’s system?

And please. He's no more likely to go for Firefox or Opera than I am. (He knows less about things than I do...He asked ME for the answer!) So while you want to get us migrated from IE, it ain't gonna happen. Sorry....

Thanks in advance!

“Gyro1949”

CHEEZball

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Try this

This can occur when another program has registered itself as the default application for browsing the web. You must re-register Internet Explorer as the default browser.

Start Internet Explorer
Select the Tools->Internet Options menu
Select the [Programs] tab
Look for a checkbox labelled "Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser"
If this checkbox is not ticked, then this is the cause of the problem, so tick it!
Click OK
Close Internet Explorer
Re-open Internet Explorer
Close Outlook Express
Re-open Outlook Express

If that don't work he's prolly got spyware of some sort

p.s. you do not need to create multiple threads in the same section... we all see it the first time

Gyro1949

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
CheezBall,

Thanks! I saw something about whether IE was the preferred browser, and whether OE was the preferred e-mail program in some of the searches I did.

I do recall his stuff saying so. But you may well be right, and just re-registering it will help.

I’ll let ya know.

And I’m sorry about opening two threads. I just couldn’t find out where I put the first one. I went back to what I thought was the same place, “General Discussions in Software,” but I couldn’t seem to locate it. Only way I could watch it was to keep the initially posted window open. And the page counts didn’t jive with any other “General Discussion in Software” windows I’d open up!

Gremlins!

It may be tomorrow before I can locate the guy with the problem, again. Half the RV park seems to have gone to something or other, tonight, and his site’s dark.

”Gyro1949”

Gyro1949

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
CheezBall,

That was IT! My wife knew who the guy was, and that he didn’t live in the RV I thought he lived in. I just went over and he selected that, and sure enough, his e-mailed links now open right up in IE for him.

As always, I much appreciate the rapid response from you nice people.

Merry Christmas! And Happy Holidays!
“Gyro1949”

TRENDING THREADS