Sign in with
Your question

R600 Cards Release Date?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 20, 2007 5:26:38 AM

Hey guys, I heard April 23rd is release date for R600? Is that the XTX? I heard it was going to be XT only? Which makes no sense since usually the best card is out first. Also, is that just the reference boards or will it hit retail at that point? I'm building a new comp and I want to use the X2950 XTX. =\
April 20, 2007 10:00:46 AM

umm....if you scroll through the various posts on this forum you should be able to get all your info.

first thign first, its said ATI will demo the cards on the 23rd...not release. so thats not a sure thing, they may or may not release it on the same day.

second: the X was lost from the front...not from the back
so its HD2900XTX not X2900XTX, and they probably will be releasing the XT version first as always...or they may release the entire line up. no one here knows for sure.
April 20, 2007 4:23:37 PM

Cool, thanks. I looked around but I was getting conflictin info from different places is all. I hope the XTX comes out first though, I wanna build that new comp soon!
Related resources
April 20, 2007 6:47:06 PM

call me crazy, but i was under the impression that the reason for the delay was so that they could release a range of R600 cards on the same day, low end and higher end yes?
April 20, 2007 6:50:51 PM

That's what they claim anyway, I'm more inclined to believe they were having problems, but who knows.
April 20, 2007 7:52:57 PM

i'm inclined to believe it was 2 things.

first, the R600 didn't out perform the 8800, then the 88 overclocked dropped, and it looked even worse.. thus they had to wait.

and i also think it was the desire to have a range of cards on the same day :) 

amd/ati is currently sucking at the high end, and i doubt they wanted the r600 to win another last place ribbon
a b U Graphics card
April 20, 2007 8:19:53 PM

Quote:
amd/ati is currently sucking at the high end, and i doubt they wanted the r600 to win another last place ribbon

What is that supposed to mean? The R9800's > FX5900's. The X850XTpe was > GF6800U, even the X800XTpe was at least equal. The X1800XT > 7800GTX 256MB, and the X1950XTX > 7900GTX with the X1900XTX >= 7900GTX also. Where are the last place ribbons? Just because they are late with R600 and the 8800GTX has reigned unchallenged in the high end, that means ATI is earning last place ribbons? :roll:
April 20, 2007 8:54:10 PM

I'm packing my bags for Tunisia as we speak...

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/31722/135/

Cards will be shown to reporters on the 23rd/24th in Tunisia. The actual launch will be end of May/early June.

Humphrey Cheung
Senior Editor, TG Daily
a b U Graphics card
April 20, 2007 8:55:59 PM

Lucky You! Enjoy. :D 

Come back here for some Q&A will ya! (I wish)
April 20, 2007 8:59:35 PM

Quote:

What is that supposed to mean? The R9800's > FX5900's. The X850XTpe was > GF6800U, even the X800XTpe was at least equal. The X1800XT > 7800GTX 256MB, and the X1950XTX > 7900GTX with the X1900XTX >= 7900GTX also. Where are the last place ribbons? Just because they are late with R600 and the 8800GTX has reigned unchallenged in the high end, that means ATI is earning last place ribbons? :roll:

the duo's are beating out amd's offerings in the desktop processor segment, the 8800 series as beaten amd's offerings for 7 straight months now...

the fact that amd hasn't dropped a dx10 card yet means they don't have one ready...

and so they're currently earning a last place ribbon.

the r600 would have been out on time had it been more powerful than the high end 8800, but it wasnt.

that's the only reason ati/amd would do something as stupid as to give nvidia reign over the dx10 market for 7 months straight...

i mean really, what else could it be?

by the time r600 launches, nvidia may be ready with it's next high end dx10 card... ati/amd has missed an entire generation of cards.

don't get me wrong. i've waited 7 months to buy the r600... i just hope it kicks ass and forces an nvidia price drop
April 20, 2007 9:26:27 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

that's the only reason ati/amd would do something as stupid as to give nvidia reign over the dx10 market for 7 months straight...

I don't get how so many people keep saying nvidia rules DX 10 market. Vista + DX10 card + DX10 game = DX10 market?
well we all know how Vista sucks, most gamers are still sticking with xp. the second part of the equation is DX10 card, great, we got nvidia with their 8x00 cards. The third part of the equation is DX10 games, last time I heard, we won't have any until the end of the year or the beginning of the next year. So 2 out of 3 parts of the equation is missing, are we saying DX10 card = DX10 market now?
This is my opinion, I don't think amd/ati is missing out anything from DX10 market, not just yet.

I'm sorry if my wordings offend anyone, it is just college boy's opinion.
April 20, 2007 9:38:58 PM

regardless of how sucky vista is... the 8800 runs incredibly high resolutions at the same fps it runs lower resolutions, and has great aa as options...

what i should have probably said is that amd/ati is handing over the high end market in almost every segment...

and we'll all eventually be forced to go vista because M$ wont allow dx10 on xp even though it could be easily accomplished...

and the drivers for vista will hopefully be great for games releasing that are dx 10 compatible... the same as the drivers for xp are good now, the drivers for vista will soon be good as well, as more dev's switch to dx10 and vista...

you get what i'm saying... i hope.

vista and dx10 are going through very similar growing pains as xp and dx9 did... and one day people will be bitching about vista 2 and dx11, years from now, inevitably :)  talking about how vista 2 is a step backwards the same way people said os whatever 5 years ago was a step backwards.. etc omg please i'm stopping now
April 20, 2007 9:41:17 PM

Quote:

the duo's are beating out amd's offerings in the desktop processor segment, the 8800 series as beaten amd's offerings for 7 straight months now...

the fact that amd hasn't dropped a dx10 card yet means they don't have one ready...

the r600 would have been out on time had it been more powerful than the high end 8800, but it wasnt.

by the time r600 launches, nvidia may be ready with it's next high end dx10 card... ati/amd has missed an entire generation of cards.

don't get me wrong. i've waited 7 months to buy the r600... i just hope it kicks ass and forces an nvidia price drop

WHY release dx10 cards if there aren't any GAMES TO UTILIZE it yet?!?
They're taking time to work on the cards even further, so by the time dx10 games are actually out, they would release the perfect product for the job. And why are you bringing CPU's into this? Didn't Athlon 64s beat Pentium 4's for a very long time? Yes, they DID. This is competition. One company is on top at one time, and another is on top at another time.

Besides, an X1950XT ($180) can play any game out at the moment at close to maxed out settings.

I think they're taking time on r600 to base them on the 65 nm, since the 90nm (or whatever they used before) was generating too much heat.
April 20, 2007 10:27:02 PM

Quote:
Cards will be shown to reporters on the 23rd/24th in Tunisia. The actual launch will be end of May/early June.

:(  Damn, I was hoping the ATI cards would come out in early May. Hopefully, this big demo means they will not delay it again. I guess my 7900gs has some time left in my computer, unless I find a good deal on an 8800 GTS.
April 21, 2007 12:37:19 AM

Quote:

They're taking time to work on the cards even further, so by the time dx10 games are actually out, they would release the perfect product for the job. And why are you bringing CPU's into this? Didn't Athlon 64s beat Pentium 4's for a very long time? Yes, they DID. This is competition. One company is on top at one time, and another is on top at another time.

Besides, an X1950XT ($180) can play any game out at the moment at close to maxed out settings.

I think they're taking time on r600 to base them on the 65 nm, since the 90nm (or whatever they used before) was generating too much heat.

iawtc.. this guy seemed to join just to troll against ati o_O
April 21, 2007 1:00:07 AM

Quote:

and we'll all eventually be forced to go vista because M$ wont allow dx10 on xp even though it could be easily accomplished...

I doubt that it could be easily accomplished. Microsoft says exactly the opposite. Obviously they want us to buy Vista so they might be lying, but still, if it was that easy I think some hacker would have done it by now...

And sorry to give you guys bad news, but I read somewhere that journalists going to Tunisia have to sign NDAs and aren't allowed to talk about what they've seen for another couple of weeks :x :cry: 
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2007 1:36:17 AM

Quote:

Humphrey Cheung
Senior Editor, TG Daily

Tunisia??? When did Tunisia turn into an international center of computing technology?
April 21, 2007 1:59:25 AM

Quote:
Because the best card for DX9 games is the DX10 8800GTX currently? I am assuming that the 2900XT/XTX will also kick all sorts of butt at existing DX9 games. I agree with the view of who care about the DX10 aspect, but ATI needs some new cards, especially to support the super high resolutions some people are running on widescreens. Games like Oblivion can still drive an 8800GTX into pretty sorry framerates at high enough res. So basically I am saying that although no games out yet care about the DX10 portion, they can definitely utilize the high end GPUs that go on the DX10 cards. Now if you're talking GF8600 (DX10) vs the X1900XT (DX9), I'll take the DX9 card in that comparison.
April 21, 2007 2:07:34 AM

Quote:

Humphrey Cheung
Senior Editor, TG Daily

I've been to Morocco, Tangier North Africa..., you'll find people are very poor or filthy rich, no middle class. It's...."exotic", but not necessarily in a good way.
April 21, 2007 2:44:01 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't get how so many people keep saying nvidia rules DX 10 market. Vista + DX10 card + DX10 game = DX10 market?
well we all know how Vista sucks, most gamers are still sticking with xp. the second part of the equation is DX10 card, great, we got nvidia with their 8x00 cards. The third part of the equation is DX10 games, last time I heard, we won't have any until the end of the year or the beginning of the next year. So 2 out of 3 parts of the equation is missing, are we saying DX10 card = DX10 market now?
This is my opinion, I don't think amd/ati is missing out anything from DX10 market, not just yet.

I'm sorry if my wordings offend anyone, it is just college boy's opinion.

i completely agree with you, there is no dx10 market right now, just dx10 cards so to say nvidia has ruled the dx10 market for so long now is completely bogus considering we havent seen how dx10 cards perform with dx10 yet
April 21, 2007 4:00:58 AM

if there's any truth to the latest fud article

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&ta...

this means it could be up to $520?
first it was $399, then someone thought they meant 399 euros, now they think 434 euros which unless i'm using the wrong conversion scale equals around 520 bucks american.

can anyone set this rabble straight?
April 21, 2007 4:38:46 AM

nah, this place isn't overflowing with ATI fanbois, it is just part of our culture to root for an underdog.

Plus people are smart and see that with no dx10 market (right now there are no dx10 games) why buy a 500 dollar card when in another a few months, when there will be a dx10 game you can spend the same or less because at that time ATI should have released it's own dx10 card and mabye save a hundred or so. and if they couldn't wait they went with the 8800 (or because they liked the product and decided it was the right thing to buy at the time) or a cheap 7900/1950
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2007 1:12:07 PM

Quote:
nah, this place isn't overflowing with ATI fanbois, it is just part of our culture to root for an underdog.

Plus people are smart and see that with no dx10 market (right now there are no dx10 games) why buy a 500 dollar card when in another a few months, when there will be a dx10 game you can spend the same or less because at that time ATI should have released it's own dx10 card and mabye save a hundred or so. and if they couldn't wait they went with the 8800 (or because they liked the product and decided it was the right thing to buy at the time) or a cheap 7900/1950

You know, I don't agree with the DX10 market talk. The 8800GTX is the best DX9 card period. You don't have to buy it with any consideration of DX10 at all. I have the X1950XT and an 8800GTS 320MB and neither card can play all my games at 1680x1050 max details with fsaa and AF cranked. I'm too cheap to buy the GTX, but I want one and don't fault anyone who plays at high res for buying one. If it ends up sucking at DX10 games like Crysis, people will dump them for what's then best. It's just the price you pay for the best hardware, and DX10 really doesn't have to play a part in it. I'm just someone who sees the value in both ATI's recent excellent $100-200 options and NV's $250+ options. Personally I would no longer recommend an 8800GTX upgrade right now because of the chance R600 XT will be as good for $399. But for those building a new box today, who want the current best high res gaming, then GTX it is.
April 21, 2007 2:52:35 PM

"ATI should have released it's own dx10 card and mabye save a hundred or so. and if they couldn't wait they went with the 8800 (or because they liked the product and decided it was the right thing to buy at the time)"

see that? i was pretty much saying that what you said pauldh/agreeing with you... But as i implied if you are building a box today you would consider if you can last on you old card intill both companies have shown what they can offer.
April 21, 2007 3:16:16 PM

or is it really going to be $520? i'm in the holding out boat, not because i have anything against nvidia, but simply because i've waited this long to build a new pc, may as well wait a few more weeks and at least see the benches from the official debut in 2 more days.
even though there is the non-disclosure agreement for tunisia, official pricing should be released right?
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2007 3:34:24 PM

yes, I can see what you were saying. I was really just commenting on the DX10 market talk, which I should have clarified was aimed at many people's comments not just yours.
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2007 7:25:38 PM

Quote:

this means it could be up to $520?
first it was $399, then someone thought they meant 399 euros, now they think 434 euros which unless i'm using the wrong conversion scale equals around 520 bucks american.

can anyone set this rabble straight?

Yeah, DON'T calculate US prices based on the Euro premium. No US prices translate from the EURO overprice, so why would this new card designed in N.America and built in Taiwan and China have anything to do with Europe for pricing?

The US sets it's prices, then the rest of the world follows. You may find it cheaper in places like Asia where 'factory leaks' reach the market, but the market price in N.Am is set by the company not some ucrrency calculator of Euro prices.

That the original price was $399US/399Euro should've clued you into the fact that there is no currency calculation going the other way around as the Euro hasn't been 1:1 since 2002.
April 21, 2007 11:36:01 PM

wow, i didn't take an extra 30 secs to proof read my post, and that other dude seemed to understand it just fine so i guess you must have been intoxicated when you read it :p 
a b U Graphics card
April 22, 2007 12:27:40 AM

Did you guys read the article on the Tom's Hardware main page? It says the reporters can't comment for "several weeks" because of the non-disclosure agreement and the cards will not actually be released until late may early june. Is this true?!?! I was really hoping/needing an early may release date. :cry: 
a b U Graphics card
April 22, 2007 12:39:48 AM

Yeah it's been known for a while.

May is the release for some June the release for others.
April 22, 2007 12:45:10 AM

Quote:
Because the best card for DX9 games is the DX10 8800GTX currently? I am assuming that the 2900XT/XTX will also kick all sorts of butt at existing DX9 games. I agree with the view of who care about the DX10 aspect, but ATI needs some new cards, especially to support the super high resolutions some people are running on widescreens. Games like Oblivion can still drive an 8800GTX into pretty sorry framerates at high enough res. So basically I am saying that although no games out yet care about the DX10 portion, they can definitely utilize the high end GPUs that go on the DX10 cards. Now if you're talking GF8600 (DX10) vs the X1900XT (DX9), I'll take the DX9 card in that comparison.

An X1950XT (like mentioned before) should handle Oblivion fine. Why waste their assets on high end dx9 cards anyways? They're doing what every company should do. They're taking their time to perfect the dx10 line of cards.
April 22, 2007 1:25:55 AM

do you really need 16x AA on that resolution?
April 22, 2007 2:00:17 AM

23rd April is the date that Heroes starts again...
April 22, 2007 2:09:00 AM

Quote:
23rd April is the date that Heroes starts again...

lol, what does heros have todo with a graphics card? but i can't wait.... both for the torrent and the announcement :p 
April 22, 2007 2:15:13 AM

Maybe Amd/Ati wants to get this whole launching thingy over with and go home to see Heroes.

Or people just wont be bothered with the launch and stay home to see Heroes instead.
April 22, 2007 2:52:53 AM

Quote:
An X1950XT (like mentioned before) should handle Oblivion fine. Why waste their assets on high end dx9 cards anyways? They're doing what every company should do. They're taking their time to perfect the dx10 line of cards.
Have you played Oblivion? As others have stated, at the maximum quality Oblivion would easily take an X1950XT or XTX to it's knees.
a b U Graphics card
April 22, 2007 4:01:20 AM

It takes the X1950XT and 8800GTS 320MB to it's knees. :cry: 
April 22, 2007 3:58:10 PM

Oh man, I hope they don't cost $520. If they do end up costing that much, I will have to go with the 8800 GTS. Hopefully, the price comes down when ATI's card comes out.
April 22, 2007 4:20:53 PM

Quote:
Oh man, I hope they don't cost $520. If they do end up costing that much, I will have to go with the 8800 GTS. Hopefully, the price comes down when ATI's card comes out.

The 2950 XTX will more than likely cost that much. However the XT should be just fine for lower price range though if you want. The high end cards always cost that much. =\
April 23, 2007 11:12:05 AM

US prices are quoted without tax. Prices in Europe are quoted with tax, and the tax rate is much higher in Europe than it is in the US. Here in Britain, for example, we pay 17.5% tax on everything (and there's no exemption for out-of-state purchases either)

This, plus a tendency for the manufacturers to rip off Europeans because they all hate us, means that things often cost the same number of Euros in Europe that they cost dollars in america.

Thus, if the price is 400 Euros in Europe, it will very likely by $400 in the States.

Prices in Britain are even more of a rip-off than they are elsewhere in Europe, so we're probably looking at about £300, or even £350. :( 
April 23, 2007 11:52:09 AM

yep, i got a brother living over there in london at the moment, says your IT industry is Fooked. That here in Australia everything is alot better and there is more support and stuff. He even said something about the banks having very bad internet services.
April 23, 2007 11:58:08 AM

I payed $435 for my card when it went for about $250-270 in the states...
We pay 25% tax on electronics here in sweden.
April 24, 2007 1:03:22 AM

my confusion came from it seeming like the source wasn't sure whether the prospective price listing was in euro or dollar. i do understand that most stuff overseas, particularly europe and australia seem to go a lot higher price tag wise.
thanks for clearing that up. 399 sounded good to me in the first place, i just didnt want to put all my eggs in one basket so to speak.

----

Quote:
I payed $435 for my card when it went for about $250-270 in the states...
We pay 25% tax on electronics here in sweden.

jesus tap dancing christ! and sweden from what i heard is all hi-tech. yall must be skillionaires compared to the average workingclass american.
April 24, 2007 7:47:31 AM

Well we pay a 25% salestax to everything except "entertainment", things like books, movietickets, music cds and the like have 8% sales tax (not sure about all those things).
So we aren't rich just used to it.

Then for a couple of years the government funded employees to buy computers cheap through their workplace while building broadband for "everyone", that however changed with the new government. =/

I could get a bargain if i order from the states (with shipping), but if customs get hold of it i could end up paying fines and im to much of a coward for that. =)
To bad many of your big chains use parcel delivery companys to ship overseas or don't have it at all.
I would have to pay to much for risking getting fines and be w/o things like warranty.
April 24, 2007 9:07:59 AM

http://www.digitimes.com/mobos/a20070423PD213.html

Yen Ting Chen, Taipei; Rodney Chan, DIGITIMES [Monday 23 April 2007]

The DirectX 10-supporting AMD R600 graphics chip made on 65nm will be available on the market on May 19 after months of delay, according to sources with Taiwan's graphics card distributors.
The R600 had originally been scheduled for release in the second half of 2006. A rescheduled launch for March this year was again delayed by a serious shortage of GDDR4 memory, the sources said.
The sources pointed out that AMD will skip the 80nm process and make the R600 at 65nm. The R610 and R630, which will also adopt a 65nm process, will also be released in June, the sources added.
!