Sign in with
Your question

Please help!

Last response: in Windows XP
December 22, 2006 11:28:36 AM

I have been getting this error just about every time I try to remove a program. This time I tried to remove PC-Cillin and get the same error " Error 1606 could not access network location. % user profile %\recent\."

I have tried solutions that I googled and worked in the registry, but nothing works. I really need help with this. Bruce

More about : question

December 22, 2006 3:18:54 PM

Bruce,

Could you post the link that shows the registry entry that you changed? I have seen several different ones that are related to this problem.

Is this the one that you tried? It's a couple of posts down.
December 22, 2006 4:32:05 PM

Hi, I took a chance and took out a line in the registry. "Current user\software\microsoft\windows\current version\explore\user shell folders". I took out the line "Recent reg_sz %userprofile%\recent"

I was then able to remove the program without that error. The error message said " cannot find access network location %userprofile%\recent" That is the reason I did not remove that item to start with. Now that it is gone it works. I don't know where that line comes from. A year ago I had a similar problem removing HP software. I just removed the Recent at the end and it worked. Maybe you can tell me what that line in the registry does?Bruce
Related resources
December 22, 2006 5:08:01 PM

I wish I could tell you what that registry entry was for, but unfortunately I'm not that smart.

I guess sometimes you just have to be satisfied with the fact that it works at all!

I wonder if this problem stems from spyware of some kind? Something trying to stop you from removing what ever it is.
December 22, 2006 7:32:28 PM

I keep a pretty tight ship and the only thing I ever find is some cookies. I use PAnda and Counterspy. Bruce
!