Kremmily

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
Hello everybody... I did something really dumb [i think]. I got my new computer a few weeks ago, and everything was fine. I only saved the HDD and the rest of the old computer was sent to my brother. Now, i try to install the old HHD with everything else new, and the computer didn't boot at all. I knew the the hardware changes wouldn't make me boot from my old HDD into my all new computer. I bought a new and bigger SATA HDD and installed a fresh Windows XP. Now, i wanted to get my files from the old HDD (I plugged in the old HDD to the computer), which still has the windows xp installed, but it does not let me get the files. I could successfully get the files of my girlfriend that way [copy and paste], but not with mine. It says that the access is denied.

WHAT CAN I DO TO GET MY FILES BACK!!!???

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
You no longer have access to your old hardware? Connecting your old hard drive to your old computer and putting your files on a CD/DVD would be the easiest.

So you can see your files when you boot up your old computer but you can't copy them to your new drive? Maybe try in safe mode.

Kremmily

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
Hello and thank you for your answer.

Well, i don't have the old computer anymore. I would have done that long ago. Now, i have access to it, but when i go to documents and settings [remember that this is the old harware with windows still installed] it says that i have no access to it. I don't know if you understand very well. Please read the first post so you'll have a complete idea of what's going on..

Remember, i have a new computer with a new HDD, i conected the old HDD to the new computer with a freshly installed Windows XP. The old drive has the windows xp i had installed on my old system. I turn on my new computer with the new HDD with a fresh Windows XP, log in to my session, go to my PC, see the drives, the old one shows up as d: or whatever, i click on the icon, get in, see the files, go to documents and settings, go to my old sessions log in name folder, double click and there's when i get the message.

I know i should have backed up everything, but i thought i could do it this way.

HELP ME FRIENDS!

Kremmily

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
I can't i shipped it already! I sold it! Could i disconect the HDD i have now, connect only the old one and try to REPAIR the installation with the WXP cd?

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Follow the instructions at the link. It may turn out okay.

When you're all done, research/google on how to remove unused drivers from XP so you can clean them out.