Nvidia GeForce 7900GT but what Brand?

etopsflight

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2007
Buliding a new system primarily for video editing and mutli-media. Have finally decided on the Nvidia GeForce 7900GT graphics card but cannot decide which brand to buy.

I have read some articles about video cards of same series being similar since most are manufactured by Nvidia on behalf of other brands names.

So which brand should I buy for the GeForce 7900GT?

Farhang

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2007
Why 7900GT?
Anyway...eVGA, BFG, XFX, Leadtek are all good.
Most of the people will recommend eVGA for nVIDIA based graphic cards.

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
All the brands that farhang mentioned are good cards.However he is correct when he said that most people will recommend EVGA cards.EVGA offers a great lifetime warranty as well as great customer support 24/7,as well as their 90 day step-up program which allows you to upgrade your video card to any card that offers more performance.Essentialy the cards that came out after the 7900 like the 7950gt,or the 8800gts and gtx series cards.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.6 TOLEDO
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7950GT KO IN SLI
4X 512MB CRUCIAL BALLISTIX DDR500
WD300GIG HD/SAMSUNG 250GIG HD
ACER 22IN WIDESCREEN LCD 1600X1200
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
3DMARK05 13,471

etopsflight

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2007
Guys

Thanks for the replies so far.

Farhang, I chose the 7900GT because of it's overall performance and price. I am not a gamer but want a rig that is fast for video editing.

Please review my possible build spec below and comment as you wish.

Mobo : Asus P5B Deluxe
CPU : Intel Core 2 Dual E6700
RAM : 2 x 1GB Corsair DDR2-800
PSU : Cooler Master IGreen 600W
Case: Lian Li PC07

NaDa

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2004
Well the video card doesnt do video editing well not in a traditional sense. So a integrated card would be just as good for that purpose.

There is another thing... ATI AVIVO and NVIDIA PURE VIDEO (you shoold google this).
I am not expereienced in any but have heard that AVIVO is really fast at video encoding.

You wont benefint from a 7900GT at all from your point of view.

I would go x1950pro or XT.

etopsflight

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2007
NaDa

Are both ATI and Nvidia Cards compatible with my mobo/cpu choice?

I was lead to believe that ATI were for AMD CPU's and Nvidia were for Intel CPU's.

Farhang

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2007
Are both ATI and Nvidia Cards compatible with my mobo/cpu choice?

I was lead to believe that ATI were for AMD CPU's and Nvidia were for Intel CPU's.
Well, it's not true.
you can buy any graphic card that you like.
as you can see in my sig, i have an AMD processor & a nVIDIA graphic card.
you have a nice system, buy anything that you like. 8)

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
and I use a ATI card with an intel core 2 duo with fantastic results

it doesnt matter what make your cpu is, you can use either makes with either cards.

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
Guys

Thanks for the replies so far.

Farhang, I chose the 7900GT because of it's overall performance and price. I am not a gamer but want a rig that is fast for video editing.

Please review my possible build spec below and comment as you wish.

Mobo : Asus P5B Deluxe
CPU : Intel Core 2 Dual E6700
RAM : 2 x 1GB Corsair DDR2-800
PSU : Cooler Master IGreen 600W
Case: Lian Li PC07

How much is the 7900GT your looking at? And Ill go with NaDa on the X1950XT. Supports Avivo, and nvidia isn't high on that part, unless you look into their Quadros.

etopsflight

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2007
The problem is that graphics card reviews are always centred around gaming. It's hard to determine what brand and series of card to buy when considering video editing and multi-media.

I read somewhere that the GeForce 7900GT was a good choice for my needs.

After the replies in this forum, I have started to check out the Radeon choices too, primarily the X1950XT but still I am undecided.

A question about VIVO, on the X1950XT I can see the black colored VIVO connection point. I am assuming that this connector is common for both input and output. I have seen some boards with two connectors - one for input, the other for output. There are some many different kinds of cables out there, it's hard to keep track of what's what. Can somebody give me some more info?

Thx!

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Buliding a new system primarily for video editing and mutli-media. Have finally decided on the Nvidia GeForce 7900GT graphics card but cannot decide which brand to buy.

I have read some articles about video cards of same series being similar since most are manufactured by Nvidia on behalf of other brands names.

So which brand should I buy for the GeForce 7900GT?

Video editing don't need gaming cards. You need a 256Mb card for some software for video fx previews in real time and store data.
A 7600GS/GT with high core clock is more than enough.

Don't bother with avivo and purevideo crap unless you want to play HD.
I don't know also what you will use for capturing and editing.

etopsflight

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2007
PMR

Thanks for the tips!

Would you suggest a combined graphics and capture card or should I go with separates ones?

Any suggestions for brands and models?

Thx!

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
I suggest separated cards, so you are not depending on one piece of hardware and upgrade as you want. I believe an external one would be better for compatibility. And for the price... I don't know what's your budget and software, but the pinnacle ones are cheaper. If you go with an internal you gotta go firewire (you don't need the firewire patch from m$, because 100Mb/s allows you to capture in real time at 25MB/s). If you go external, the pinnacle studio plus 700 usb bundle has a nice price /quality ratio.

etopsflight

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2007
PMR

Again, thx for the advice.

I am building a complete new system and know very little about current pc hardware but it's a good learning experience!

There is so much to read and making a decision is not easy. Just want to build a computer that I will be happy with and will sustain me for a period before having to upgrade again.

I am new to video editing so things are very hazy and unclear at this moment with regards hardware and software.