Sign in with
Your question

Need help with OS on new build

Last response: in Windows XP
December 22, 2006 11:08:32 PM

I just build a new comp and need help with the OS. My problem is that I don't own a standard copy of xp because my last comp was a dell. I do have the dell xp home re-install disc. I want to know if the dell ver is the same as a standard Microsoft copy or should I dl it online if there are big differences? I plan to upgrade this new comp to vista in january when it becomes available. So is it worth the trouble to get it online until then or would using the dell copy be good enough? Also would using vista RC2 until it is publicly released be a good idea? Here are the specs of my new comp:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
Gigabyte GA-945P-S3
OCZ Gold 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Gecube x1900GT v2 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16
Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200.10 SATA 3.0Gb/s
Sony 18xDVD+/- Burner
Acer 19" Widescreen LCD
Anted P180b
Creative Blaster Audigy SE
Rosewill T550w PS

More about : build

December 23, 2006 1:14:55 AM

Sweet system!

The hardware hash from the old comp & the OEM Dell key are married forever. You will not be able to activate with that key on the new unit.

If you shopped around & purchased a new OEM XP (about $75-$90), you will be fine to use it on any new machine. IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE A DELL! The problem with that is, you won't be eligible for the Vista upgrade. That's the negative with oem's - no support & no upgrades. Updates to the XP, no problem! Remember, you've paid a lot less for that flavor versus a full version.

The XP O/S on the Dell cd's is the same. But it is coded OEM in its' key.

My advice - not worth the effort to put this new unit up. When Vista publicly comes out, buy the full package. It will be worth it long term. MS will drop support for "Home" in a couple of years, and only deal with Pro & Vista.
December 23, 2006 1:40:56 AM

The only reason I haven't bought one of the win xp upgrade packages is cause I don't have the money right now with all the xmas spending. I really just want to get this comp working for now to play a bit of wow and make a couple dvd's. Can't do that with the dell. Horrible video card and no dvd burner. I will buy Vista when it comes out. So I'm trying to figure out how to quickly get just a temporary OS on my new comp for use till vista. I've been told getting xp pro from a torrent for now is about the best idea since its easy to find and install by making as iso and burning it.
December 23, 2006 4:45:55 AM

I'm not a fan of pirated XP.

You don't need Pro for what you want to do.

I shopped around for 5 minutes, and saw Home for as little as $75; and averaging $83 elsewhere. Now that would be a nice Christmas present for someone close to you to buy.
!