Cannot access Internet anymore!

After trying to install a receipt printer, that did not work, and then
uninstall the printer again, I have got the problem that I cannot access
Internet anymore. I have a local network, where I can access the other PCs
from this one and vice versa. It works to ping a PC on the Internet from
this one, but I cannot come out with it anymore. Does anyone have tips for
me?
/ Rolf

Try using XP's system restore feature to take you back to a time prior to
when this began. Start\All Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System
Restore.

--
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.

Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User
Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

"Rolf Rosenquist" <rolf@nomail.com> wrote in message
> After trying to install a receipt printer, that did not work, and then
> uninstall the printer again, I have got the problem that I cannot access
> Internet anymore. I have a local network, where I can access the other PCs
> from this one and vice versa. It works to ping a PC on the Internet from
> this one, but I cannot come out with it anymore. Does anyone have tips for
> me?
> / Rolf

I have tried that, but it says it cannot do it, so nothing was changed.
Earlier today I installed SP2 and after that I have installed Java for
logging in to my bank account. And that worked without problems. Then the
printer install and uninstall.

I have tried to restore on all these points. Even the last thing on SP2, the
second last and so on... Then there are no earlier restore points before
SP2.
/ Rolf

"Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> skrev i meddelandet
> Try using XP's system restore feature to take you back to a time prior to
> when this began. Start\All Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System
> Restore.
>
> --
> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
>
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>

> "Rolf Rosenquist" <rolf@nomail.com> wrote in message
> > After trying to install a receipt printer, that did not work, and then
> > uninstall the printer again, I have got the problem that I cannot access
> > Internet anymore. I have a local network, where I can access the other
PCs
> > from this one and vice versa. It works to ping a PC on the Internet from
> > this one, but I cannot come out with it anymore. Does anyone have tips
for
> > me?
> > / Rolf

SP2 enables the XP firewall by default. If you have a separate firewall,
check to make sure the XP firewall is turned off. Open Control Panel and
open Windows Firewall.

NOTE: do not run with no firewall at all as that will leave you wide open to
attack.

--

>I have tried that, but it says it cannot do it, so nothing was changed.
> Earlier today I installed SP2 and after that I have installed Java for
> logging in to my bank account. And that worked without problems. Then the
> printer install and uninstall.
>
> I have tried to restore on all these points. Even the last thing on SP2,
> the
> second last and so on... Then there are no earlier restore points before
> SP2.
> / Rolf
>

> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> skrev i meddelandet
>> Try using XP's system restore feature to take you back to a time prior to
>> when this began. Start\All Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System
>> Restore.
>>
>> --
>> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
>>
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>

>> "Rolf Rosenquist" <rolf@nomail.com> wrote in message
>> > After trying to install a receipt printer, that did not work, and then
>> > uninstall the printer again, I have got the problem that I cannot
>> > access
>> > Internet anymore. I have a local network, where I can access the other
> PCs
>> > from this one and vice versa. It works to ping a PC on the Internet
>> > from
>> > this one, but I cannot come out with it anymore. Does anyone have tips
> for
>> > me?
>> > / Rolf

It has been set off, as I have a firewall in D-link router DI-604.

> SP2 enables the XP firewall by default. If you have a separate firewall,
> check to make sure the XP firewall is turned off. Open Control Panel and
> open Windows Firewall.
>
> NOTE: do not run with no firewall at all as that will leave you wide open
> attack.
>
> --
> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
>
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>

> "Rolf Rosenquist" <rolf@nomail.com> wrote in message
> >I have tried that, but it says it cannot do it, so nothing was changed.
> > Earlier today I installed SP2 and after that I have installed Java for
> > logging in to my bank account. And that worked without problems. Then
the
> > printer install and uninstall.
> >
> > I have tried to restore on all these points. Even the last thing on SP2,
> > the
> > second last and so on... Then there are no earlier restore points before
> > SP2.
> > / Rolf
> >

> > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> skrev i meddelandet
> >> Try using XP's system restore feature to take you back to a time prior
> >> when this began. Start\All Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System
> >> Restore.
> >>
> >> --
> >> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
> >>
> >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> >> Windows Shell/User
> >> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
> >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
> >>

> >> "Rolf Rosenquist" <rolf@nomail.com> wrote in message
> > PCs
> > for

Do you have any other security software installed? Sometimes antivirus
applications or ad blocking/popup blocking software and cause such issues.
Does the router have a log you can check to see if it might be blocking
something or outright blocking your access?

--

> It has been set off, as I have a firewall in D-link router DI-604.
> / Rolf
>

> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> skrev i meddelandet
>> SP2 enables the XP firewall by default. If you have a separate firewall,
>> check to make sure the XP firewall is turned off. Open Control Panel and
>> open Windows Firewall.
>>
>> NOTE: do not run with no firewall at all as that will leave you wide open
>> attack.
>>
>> --
>> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
>>
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>

>> "Rolf Rosenquist" <rolf@nomail.com> wrote in message
>> >I have tried that, but it says it cannot do it, so nothing was changed.
>> > Earlier today I installed SP2 and after that I have installed Java for
>> > logging in to my bank account. And that worked without problems. Then
> the
>> > printer install and uninstall.
>> >
>> > I have tried to restore on all these points. Even the last thing on
>> > SP2,
>> > the
>> > second last and so on... Then there are no earlier restore points
>> > before
>> > SP2.
>> > / Rolf
>> >

>> > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> skrev i meddelandet

> then
> other
>> > PCs
> tips
>> > for

First, I'm sorry for my late respond to your questions. Have been out all
day and am now back in the evening (central European time)

Yes I have had Norton AV autoprotect on. Tried now with it off, but same
result. Then I use Zone Alarm and the log says nothing when I don't succeed
to come in to the web. Also nothing when I really manage to ping a PC on
internet. But there are quite many blockings in outgoing direction from
'Generic Host Process for Win32 Services' but that is on times when I do
nothing with the PC. There are also some outgoing blockings for' type:
Firewall 'with 'protocol: TCP(flag:S)' when I don't try to get out.

Then there is a firewall in the D-link router box, but I do not find any
log.

> Do you have any other security software installed? Sometimes antivirus
> applications or ad blocking/popup blocking software and cause such issues.
> Does the router have a log you can check to see if it might be blocking
> something or outright blocking your access?
>
> --
> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
>
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>

> "Rolf Rosenquist" <rolf@nomail.com> wrote in message
> > It has been set off, as I have a firewall in D-link router DI-604.
> > / Rolf
> >

> > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> skrev i meddelandet
> >> SP2 enables the XP firewall by default. If you have a separate
firewall,
> >> check to make sure the XP firewall is turned off. Open Control Panel
and
> >> open Windows Firewall.
> >>
> >> NOTE: do not run with no firewall at all as that will leave you wide
open
> >> attack.
> >>
> >> --
> >> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
> >>
> >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> >> Windows Shell/User
> >> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
> >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
> >>

> >> "Rolf Rosenquist" <rolf@nomail.com> wrote in message
> > the

> > then
> > other
Internet
> > tips

Generic Host Process for Win32 is as the name applies generic and is used by
the system to check for available updates, assuming that function is enabled
on your setup. It may also refer to other applications doing the same,
possible hooking into that process for purposes of checking for updates.
Hence, you might have Windows Update turned off but other applications might
be looking for updates through that service and because it is automatic, you
wouldn't have to be doing anything for such to take place.

I can't help with the router, you'll need to check your documentation or the
d-link website to see if they have such a log. Unfortunately, while routers
are pretty good firewalls, they don't inform you of incoming or outgoing
transmissions which is why it's good to have a software firewall as well.

That said, if you are seeing a blocks of Generic Host Process, that might be
indicative of the problem you are having accessing the Internet. You find
it blocked, it's outgoing and Generic Host Process while implemented in
Windows Update may also be implemented in other things. You might want to
see if you can unblock that process and see if you then have the same
problem.

--

> First, I'm sorry for my late respond to your questions. Have been out all
> day and am now back in the evening (central European time)
>
> Yes I have had Norton AV autoprotect on. Tried now with it off, but same
> result. Then I use Zone Alarm and the log says nothing when I don't
> succeed
> to come in to the web. Also nothing when I really manage to ping a PC on
> internet. But there are quite many blockings in outgoing direction from
> 'Generic Host Process for Win32 Services' but that is on times when I do
> nothing with the PC. There are also some outgoing blockings for' type:
> Firewall 'with 'protocol: TCP(flag:S)' when I don't try to get out.
>
> Then there is a firewall in the D-link router box, but I do not find any
> log.
> / Rolf
>

> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> skrev i meddelandet
>> Do you have any other security software installed? Sometimes antivirus
>> applications or ad blocking/popup blocking software and cause such
>> issues.
>> Does the router have a log you can check to see if it might be blocking
>> something or outright blocking your access?
>>
>> --
>> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
>>
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>

>> "Rolf Rosenquist" <rolf@nomail.com> wrote in message
>> > It has been set off, as I have a firewall in D-link router DI-604.
>> > / Rolf
>> >

>> > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> skrev i meddelandet
> firewall,
> and

> open

> changed.
> for
>> > the

> prior

>> > then
>> > other
> Internet
>> > tips

Great thanks for your support!
The error was, as you indicated, that the Generic Host Process was blocked.
Now it works again and I am soooo reliefed.

Thanks again!
Regards

> [...]
> > internet. But there are quite many blockings in outgoing direction from
> > 'Generic Host Process for Win32 Services' but that is on times when I do
> > nothing with the PC. There are also some outgoing blockings for' type:
> > Firewall 'with 'protocol: TCP(flag:S)' when I don't try to get out.
> >
> > Then there is a firewall in the D-link router box, but I do not find any
> > log.
> > / Rolf
> >

> > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> skrev i meddelandet
> >> Do you have any other security software installed? Sometimes antivirus
> >> applications or ad blocking/popup blocking software and cause such
> >> issues.
> >> Does the router have a log you can check to see if it might be blocking
> >> something or outright blocking your access?
> >>
> >> --
> >> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.

You're welcome, Rolf, glad we were able to get it sorted out.