Cannot access Internet anymore!

After trying to install a receipt printer, that did not work, and then
uninstall the printer again, I have got the problem that I cannot access
Internet anymore. I have a local network, where I can access the other PCs
from this one and vice versa. It works to ping a PC on the Internet from
this one, but I cannot come out with it anymore. Does anyone have tips for
me?
/ Rolf
9 answers Last reply
More about cannot access internet anymore

    Try using XP's system restore feature to take you back to a time prior to
    when this began. Start\All Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System
    Restore.

    --
    In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.

    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User
    Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

    "Rolf Rosenquist" <rolf@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > After trying to install a receipt printer, that did not work, and then
    > uninstall the printer again, I have got the problem that I cannot access
    > Internet anymore. I have a local network, where I can access the other PCs
    > from this one and vice versa. It works to ping a PC on the Internet from
    > this one, but I cannot come out with it anymore. Does anyone have tips for
    > me?
    > / Rolf

    I have tried that, but it says it cannot do it, so nothing was changed.
    Earlier today I installed SP2 and after that I have installed Java for
    logging in to my bank account. And that worked without problems. Then the
    printer install and uninstall.

    I have tried to restore on all these points. Even the last thing on SP2, the
    second last and so on... Then there are no earlier restore points before
    SP2.
    / Rolf

    "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> skrev i meddelandet
    > Try using XP's system restore feature to take you back to a time prior to
    > when this began. Start\All Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System
    > Restore.
    >
    > --
    > In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
    >
    > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    > https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
    > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >

    > "Rolf Rosenquist" <rolf@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > > After trying to install a receipt printer, that did not work, and then
    > > uninstall the printer again, I have got the problem that I cannot access
    > > Internet anymore. I have a local network, where I can access the other
    PCs
    > > from this one and vice versa. It works to ping a PC on the Internet from
    > > this one, but I cannot come out with it anymore. Does anyone have tips
    for
    > > me?
    > > / Rolf

    SP2 enables the XP firewall by default. If you have a separate firewall,
    check to make sure the XP firewall is turned off. Open Control Panel and
    open Windows Firewall.

    NOTE: do not run with no firewall at all as that will leave you wide open to
    attack.

    --

    >I have tried that, but it says it cannot do it, so nothing was changed.
    > Earlier today I installed SP2 and after that I have installed Java for
    > logging in to my bank account. And that worked without problems. Then the
    > printer install and uninstall.
    >
    > I have tried to restore on all these points. Even the last thing on SP2,
    > the
    > second last and so on... Then there are no earlier restore points before
    > SP2.
    > / Rolf
    >

    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> skrev i meddelandet
    >> Try using XP's system restore feature to take you back to a time prior to
    >> when this began. Start\All Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System
    >> Restore.
    >>
    >> --
    >> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
    >>
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>

    >> "Rolf Rosenquist" <rolf@nomail.com> wrote in message
    >> > After trying to install a receipt printer, that did not work, and then
    >> > uninstall the printer again, I have got the problem that I cannot
    >> > access
    >> > Internet anymore. I have a local network, where I can access the other
    > PCs
    >> > from this one and vice versa. It works to ping a PC on the Internet
    >> > from
    >> > this one, but I cannot come out with it anymore. Does anyone have tips
    > for
    >> > me?
    >> > / Rolf

    It has been set off, as I have a firewall in D-link router DI-604.

    > SP2 enables the XP firewall by default. If you have a separate firewall,
    > check to make sure the XP firewall is turned off. Open Control Panel and
    > open Windows Firewall.
    >
    > NOTE: do not run with no firewall at all as that will leave you wide open
    > attack.
    >
    > --
    > In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
    >
    > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    > https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
    > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >

    > "Rolf Rosenquist" <rolf@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > >I have tried that, but it says it cannot do it, so nothing was changed.
    > > Earlier today I installed SP2 and after that I have installed Java for
    > > logging in to my bank account. And that worked without problems. Then
    the
    > > printer install and uninstall.
    > >
    > > I have tried to restore on all these points. Even the last thing on SP2,
    > > the
    > > second last and so on... Then there are no earlier restore points before
    > > SP2.
    > > / Rolf
    > >

    > > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> skrev i meddelandet
    > >> Try using XP's system restore feature to take you back to a time prior
    > >> when this began. Start\All Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System
    > >> Restore.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
    > >>
    > >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > >> Windows Shell/User
    > >> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
    > >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    > >>

    > >> "Rolf Rosenquist" <rolf@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > > PCs
    > > for

    Do you have any other security software installed? Sometimes antivirus
    applications or ad blocking/popup blocking software and cause such issues.
    Does the router have a log you can check to see if it might be blocking
    something or outright blocking your access?

    --

    > It has been set off, as I have a firewall in D-link router DI-604.
    > / Rolf
    >

    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> skrev i meddelandet
    >> SP2 enables the XP firewall by default. If you have a separate firewall,
    >> check to make sure the XP firewall is turned off. Open Control Panel and
    >> open Windows Firewall.
    >>
    >> NOTE: do not run with no firewall at all as that will leave you wide open
    >> attack.
    >>
    >> --
    >> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
    >>
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>

    >> "Rolf Rosenquist" <rolf@nomail.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have tried that, but it says it cannot do it, so nothing was changed.
    >> > Earlier today I installed SP2 and after that I have installed Java for
    >> > logging in to my bank account. And that worked without problems. Then
    > the
    >> > printer install and uninstall.
    >> >
    >> > I have tried to restore on all these points. Even the last thing on
    >> > SP2,
    >> > the
    >> > second last and so on... Then there are no earlier restore points
    >> > before
    >> > SP2.
    >> > / Rolf
    >> >

    >> > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> skrev i meddelandet

    > then
    > other
    >> > PCs
    > tips
    >> > for

    First, I'm sorry for my late respond to your questions. Have been out all
    day and am now back in the evening (central European time)

    Yes I have had Norton AV autoprotect on. Tried now with it off, but same
    result. Then I use Zone Alarm and the log says nothing when I don't succeed
    to come in to the web. Also nothing when I really manage to ping a PC on
    internet. But there are quite many blockings in outgoing direction from
    'Generic Host Process for Win32 Services' but that is on times when I do
    nothing with the PC. There are also some outgoing blockings for' type:
    Firewall 'with 'protocol: TCP(flag:S)' when I don't try to get out.

    Then there is a firewall in the D-link router box, but I do not find any
    log.

    > Do you have any other security software installed? Sometimes antivirus
    > applications or ad blocking/popup blocking software and cause such issues.
    > Does the router have a log you can check to see if it might be blocking
    > something or outright blocking your access?
    >
    > --
    > In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
    >
    > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    > https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
    > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >

    > "Rolf Rosenquist" <rolf@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > > It has been set off, as I have a firewall in D-link router DI-604.
    > > / Rolf
    > >

    > > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> skrev i meddelandet
    > >> SP2 enables the XP firewall by default. If you have a separate
    firewall,
    > >> check to make sure the XP firewall is turned off. Open Control Panel
    and
    > >> open Windows Firewall.
    > >>
    > >> NOTE: do not run with no firewall at all as that will leave you wide
    open
    > >> attack.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
    > >>
    > >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > >> Windows Shell/User
    > >> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
    > >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    > >>

    > >> "Rolf Rosenquist" <rolf@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > > the

    > > then
    > > other
    Internet
    > > tips

    Generic Host Process for Win32 is as the name applies generic and is used by
    the system to check for available updates, assuming that function is enabled
    on your setup. It may also refer to other applications doing the same,
    possible hooking into that process for purposes of checking for updates.
    Hence, you might have Windows Update turned off but other applications might
    be looking for updates through that service and because it is automatic, you
    wouldn't have to be doing anything for such to take place.

    I can't help with the router, you'll need to check your documentation or the
    d-link website to see if they have such a log. Unfortunately, while routers
    are pretty good firewalls, they don't inform you of incoming or outgoing
    transmissions which is why it's good to have a software firewall as well.

    That said, if you are seeing a blocks of Generic Host Process, that might be
    indicative of the problem you are having accessing the Internet. You find
    it blocked, it's outgoing and Generic Host Process while implemented in
    Windows Update may also be implemented in other things. You might want to
    see if you can unblock that process and see if you then have the same
    problem.

    --

    > First, I'm sorry for my late respond to your questions. Have been out all
    > day and am now back in the evening (central European time)
    >
    > Yes I have had Norton AV autoprotect on. Tried now with it off, but same
    > result. Then I use Zone Alarm and the log says nothing when I don't
    > succeed
    > to come in to the web. Also nothing when I really manage to ping a PC on
    > internet. But there are quite many blockings in outgoing direction from
    > 'Generic Host Process for Win32 Services' but that is on times when I do
    > nothing with the PC. There are also some outgoing blockings for' type:
    > Firewall 'with 'protocol: TCP(flag:S)' when I don't try to get out.
    >
    > Then there is a firewall in the D-link router box, but I do not find any
    > log.
    > / Rolf
    >

    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> skrev i meddelandet
    >> Do you have any other security software installed? Sometimes antivirus
    >> applications or ad blocking/popup blocking software and cause such
    >> issues.
    >> Does the router have a log you can check to see if it might be blocking
    >> something or outright blocking your access?
    >>
    >> --
    >> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
    >>
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>

    >> "Rolf Rosenquist" <rolf@nomail.com> wrote in message
    >> > It has been set off, as I have a firewall in D-link router DI-604.
    >> > / Rolf
    >> >

    >> > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> skrev i meddelandet
    > firewall,
    > and

    > open

    > changed.
    > for
    >> > the

    > prior

    >> > then
    >> > other
    > Internet
    >> > tips

    Great thanks for your support!
    The error was, as you indicated, that the Generic Host Process was blocked.
    Now it works again and I am soooo reliefed.

    Thanks again!
    Regards

> [...]
    > > internet. But there are quite many blockings in outgoing direction from
    > > 'Generic Host Process for Win32 Services' but that is on times when I do
    > > nothing with the PC. There are also some outgoing blockings for' type:
    > > Firewall 'with 'protocol: TCP(flag:S)' when I don't try to get out.
    > >
    > > Then there is a firewall in the D-link router box, but I do not find any
    > > log.
    > > / Rolf
    > >

    > > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> skrev i meddelandet
    > >> Do you have any other security software installed? Sometimes antivirus
    > >> applications or ad blocking/popup blocking software and cause such
    > >> issues.
    > >> Does the router have a log you can check to see if it might be blocking
    > >> something or outright blocking your access?
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.

    You're welcome, Rolf, glad we were able to get it sorted out.

    --

> [...]
    >> > First, I'm sorry for my late respond to your questions. Have been out
    > all
    >> > day and am now back in the evening (central European time)
    >> >
    >> > Yes I have had Norton AV autoprotect on. Tried now with it off, but
    >> > same
    >> > result. Then I use Zone Alarm and the log says nothing when I don't
    >> > succeed
    >> > to come in to the web. Also nothing when I really manage to ping a PC
    >> > on
    >> > internet. But there are quite many blockings in outgoing direction from
    >> > 'Generic Host Process for Win32 Services' but that is on times when I
    >> > do
    >> > nothing with the PC. There are also some outgoing blockings for' type:
    >> > Firewall 'with 'protocol: TCP(flag:S)' when I don't try to get out.
    >> >
    >> > Then there is a firewall in the D-link router box, but I do not find

Internet Microsoft Printers Windows XP