weevil

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
I just built a new computer, and am having trouble installing XP. It loads fine until igets to the fourth step, installation, and then it gives me a "Data error (cyclic redundancy check)" error. Apparently this can be a multitude of things: scratched disk (I took it out and tried cleaning it, like any cd is appears to have a few scratches I couldn't get out with a lint free cloth, but it's a brand new copy of XP SP2), bad hd, bad memory, etc.

I don't have access to a burner at the moment to burn memtest or any hd testing software. Someone mentioned to me that XP can't install into HDs > 137gb in size (???) so I was going to try and reformat my HD (Seagate Raptor 150gb 10k), but when I reboot, either from HD or CD, it boots back into a resume of the install where it promptly gives me the same error. How do you get back to the initial install setup, without it going straight into the resume of the old setup?

Aside from that question, does anyone have any thoughts on the causes of this error, and how to resolve it?

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
I'm sorry to inform you, that's a corrupt cd error. A file didn't copy properly.
Lately, I've seen more and more bad quality cd's causing install problems.

Can you borrow someone elses' XP, and just use your key when asked?

DO NOT REFORMAT (you probably meant fdisk) TO 137G!!!!

SP2 XP will see all of your capacity.

Brand new stuff - I rather doubt your hardware is faulty.

Get your hands on a W98 boot diskette. Run fdisk and delete all the partitions. Leave it stone blank - NO FORMATTING. XP will do it for you. Always choose NTFS (but not the quick version)

weevil

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the CD. I got a copy of XP and memtest. I ran memtest first, and everything checked out. I then put the new XP install in, booted from it, and it took me straight to the old install resumption (fourth step). Of course I got some catalog error since they're different installs.

I can't seem to boot into the original installation menu, regardless of the disk. I even found an old dell xp install cd, same thing. I don't have a floppy drive, and still am without access to a burner with which to burn a formatting/partitioning tool. That'll have to wait until tomorrow. But I want to get this running tonight, so I need to figure out how to stop any XP install cd from trying to resume my old install. Any ideas?

I think the setup files for the install are running off the HD, but even after setting boot from cd as the primary option in bios, and hitting a key when the boot from cd/dvd option came up after the hardware interrupt still takes me into the old install. Very odd.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
You want to be ASSURED that every byte on your hard drive will accept binary code (off/on) as well as having no physical defects. "Quick" won't do that for you. The long format, if it finds a problem, will isolate that sector from being written to. This will save you from big heartache down the road. You invest a half to one hour for peace of mind.

All good folks should also be running chkdsk regularly (once-a-month) to keep tabs on the physical well-being of their hd's.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
You're going to have to blank that hd, or you're never going to get that install done. Take the hd to a friends' machine with a floppy. Temporarily swap it with his hd, and run fdisk like I explained.

I've seen floppy drives at fairs for $5. At my Best Buy, they're $15 - $20 new.
You should really have a floppy drive. Indispensable for troubleshooting. Takes 10 minutes to install. I make sure ALL my customers have one in ALL their comps.

If all that is completely out of the question, perhaps you can download your hd's manufacturer's diagnostic utility in an iso, and then burn a bootable cd. There should be something on there to erase the stuff XP put on.

xyzzy

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2004
I spent a lot of time trying to get a machine working that had a bad drive. The drive is on the machine that I had to ship and it now has some problems (12 in the os --bad spots on the disk) I used the R (repair console option) on the xp cd. it gave me a few dos commands one of which let me reformat a drive. even so once you start getting a lot of bad sectors it will just get worse.

So I decided this would be the best time to upgrade.After reinstalling my systems and apps is there a way to make a recovery cd so I do not have to reinstall my apps if the OS crashes and burns?

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
There is a product called PC Backup (Used to be BackUp My PC) that is easy to use and has a Disaster Recovery which will restore your system in less than an hour.

You could also opt for a clone app like True Image which will work off its' bootable cd and restore your system by transfering an image you've made previously, put on a cd/cds, to a new naked hd.