Sakey

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
For some reason my system keeps hanging when booting up on the windows splash screen, then when i try to start it in safe mode it hang on .../System32/Drivers/mup.sys .

The problem started when i switched the case of the computer due to the power button beeing fauty. There has been no update of hardware apart from the case.

I have already tied the following:
Clean install of XP
Clean install on a new Hard Disk
Disabling the mup driver (this made it hang in the same place but did not disable the driver)
Checked all the connections and ran the computer with just the basic components

now i do not know what to do, anyone know the best way to fix this problem :wink:

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Changing a case is a meticulous job. Any number of glitches can occur. Everything is dismantled.

It's probably hanging on the NEXT driver, not mup, by the way.

I can only suggest you go over everything with a "fine-tooth-comb".

Make sure mobo is not screwed down too tight; that goes for all the peripherals; pull and reseat everything.

Sakey

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
Thank you for the advice, iv just been through and checked everything is connected properly annd seated properly within the case, no change. I have also tryed it with the case fas disconnected incase there was a problem with power getting to all the components, no change either. Does anyone know what the next driver to be loaded is after Mup.sys or any other alternative suggestion?

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
I'm fairly sure that it's the AGP driver.

This may suggest a problem with the onboard graphics circuit (I'm assuming you're onboard?) If you have a card, change it.

I know you have stated retries on the install with the same result. My educated guess is you have a motherboard problem, if it's not a graphics card.