Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Dell leaks 8800 Ultra specs

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 20, 2007 11:52:02 AM

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&ta...

Exclusive: 650 MHz core / 2160 MHz memory

We don't need to wait until the end of May to find out more about the upcoming Geforce 8800 Ultra card. Dell has actually leaked the 8800 Ultra specifications, but later removed the link. However, we were fast enough to capture the moment.
So, Dell confirmed the existence of the card and the specification clearly indicates that Nvidia is planning a 650 MHz card with 2160 MHz of GDDR3 memory on its odd 384 bit memory controller.
This is really a modest speed upgrade, as for example, EVGA already ships a 8800 GTX overclocked at 621 MHz core and 2000 MHz memory. With water cooling you can easily match 650 MHz core and 2160 MHz memory, or at least you should be able to.
The card still has 128 stream processors and it will be available with Dell's XPS 710 machines at later date.

"immm ........IM not impressed" :?
a b U Graphics card
April 20, 2007 12:11:23 PM

I just read that and had your same reaction. Not that impressive a clock bump if it's just a clock bump setting the Ultra apart. Maybe it will be all they need to re-gain the crown (if they even lose it). But rumored prices and availability put this card as worthless to consumers anyway. Oh well, guess we have to wait and see.
April 20, 2007 1:07:02 PM

No it's not impressive at all. Looks like the X2900XTX "could" still be a better card.
Related resources
April 20, 2007 1:17:03 PM

It's only 17MHz faster than what my card is at; if this is the true "8800 Ultra", the R600 better be faster.
April 20, 2007 1:27:40 PM

And much cheaper. Isnt the ultra going to be priced at $999 and the r600 will be $499 -$599 i read somewhere.
This will be a no brainer :) 
April 20, 2007 1:33:20 PM

I don't understand something here, we have all seen the R600 specs, and it only has 64 stream processors that process 4 streams per cycle, the G80 has 128 that process 2 steams per cycle, so they are on equal footing maybe, but this might also act like a problem for AMD, because shown in the fast having more real pipes/processors have given better results overall than allowing more to be processed at once, maybe this isnt the same here, but we wont know untill DX10 is out how these will work. Also Nvidia and AMD are starting out equal this time, remember in 2002 Nvidia didnt get to participate in creating the DX9 standard and ATI did, ATI had the the upper hand and if Nvidia wanted to stay in the game, they had to guess at how DX9 would work, or wait till the SDK came out and then build a core that would have shipped when the 6800 did anyway. Nvidia isnt playing catchup and neither is AMD, they are equal, in the past ATI could be one step ahead, but not anymore they are both equal and so far AMD has nothing to show.
April 20, 2007 3:01:56 PM

64 Stream processors? I heard it has 320 but thats just me.
Here

Im not sure how credible this article is but seems solid enough. Not sure where you heard 64 tho, maybe you were looking at the specs for the 2600.
April 20, 2007 3:17:12 PM

yes your right..the Radeon HD 2900 XT with 320 stream processors

the R600 will feature 700 million transistors (compared to the Radeon X1900 series' 384 million) and a full 512-bit memory interface with support for GDDR3 and GDDR4. On March 30, 2007, AMD will initially debut the R600 as the ATI Radeon X2900 XTX in two separate configurations: one for OEMs (12" layout) and another for retail (9.5" layout). ATI guidance claims the X2900 XTX retail card will come as a two-slot design with a vapor chamber cooler while the OEM version features a quiet fan cooler. 1GB of GDDR4 memory (supplied by Samsung) is the reference configuration for Radeon X2900 XTX.
April 20, 2007 3:23:23 PM

well thats differnt the the rest of the leaked info going around for the last half year. Also at 700million transistors i dont see more than 200 max shader processors there to begin with, i can see 64x6 maybe 80x4 or even 160x2 but not a real 320
April 20, 2007 3:53:17 PM

Well this isn't really leaked info, but supposedly real specs released by ATI. I don't know about you but I think I trust that a lot more than leaked info which basically means rumors. Also I personally have no idea how many transistors it takes to make a stream shader, but I guess we will see the real specs sometime soon hopefully.
April 20, 2007 4:03:53 PM

how did they clock it so high? Special cooling? If not, possible to flash 8800gtx with ultra bios? 8)
April 20, 2007 4:14:37 PM

Quote:
And much cheaper. Isnt the ultra going to be priced at $999 and the r600 will be $499 -$599 i read somewhere.
This will be a no brainer :) 
We'll be lucky if ATI's flagship card is only 700$. Why would they price it any lower? It'll be the OMGWTFBBQ card, it has the "OMGWTFBBQ factor" on it!
April 20, 2007 4:16:31 PM

the only thing im thinking is how is everyone so sure of the the 2900 being faster if AMD cant even ship it? I see another 1800XT
a b U Graphics card
April 20, 2007 4:38:20 PM

The only thing that will be ultra about it will be the price.
a b U Graphics card
April 20, 2007 4:48:33 PM

Quote:
the only thing im thinking is how is everyone so sure of the the 2900 being faster if AMD cant even ship it? I see another 1800XT

Meaning what? The HD2900XT will beat the 8800GTX but then NV will desperately release a rare expensive card to try and overshadow the new ATI release? Sounds possible.
April 20, 2007 5:12:42 PM

It's almost certainly based on the 80nm node the 8600 series is being built at which allows the greater clock speeds. It probably also has alot more overclocking headroom than the present 8800 because of that, and if they keep the scheduling and other misc. small improvements from the 8600 it should be slightly faster clock-for-clock also. I wouldn't dismiss it just yet.

jesse
April 20, 2007 5:14:42 PM

i sense AMD is going to be laying the smackdown on NVIDIA for some time...

if AMD can tick tock quickly with the r650 then R700

uh oh!
April 20, 2007 5:28:42 PM

Quote:
i sense AMD is going to be laying the smackdown on NVIDIA for some time...

if AMD can tick tock quickly with the r650 then R700

uh oh!


They better do something. Maybe they're hoping Intel and NVidia will forget they exist by not releasing any parts for review and benching.

It's been a free 1/2 year for DAMMIT's competition.
April 20, 2007 6:06:32 PM

excatly, this late in the game even if AMD can pull off a 2-3FPS lead it wont matter, unless that 2900XTX is pushing 10% or more frames the 8800 owners have no reason to switch. Dont belive me look at last years market share for ATI vs Nvidia, Nvidia already had the market saturated, and there is alot of ppl still using there 7800GT and 7800GTX because they play just fine still and ATI was to late to the show to offer anything significant. Same thing this year, im not impressed and i doubt AMD will kill, everyone is thinking this is another DX9 battle its a new ball game and new rules. Every version of DX except 9 Nvidia killed compititon nothing is to say that wont hold true once more. The 8900 info is already being leaked and who knows what Nvidia is gonna do to AMD this round
April 20, 2007 6:18:57 PM

Quote:
well thats differnt the the rest of the leaked info going around for the last half year. Also at 700million transistors i dont see more than 200 max shader processors there to begin with, i can see 64x6 maybe 80x4 or even 160x2 but not a real 320


From what I've heard, the R600 has 64 vector processors, each of which has 5 scalar shaders (or perhaps can run 5 scalar shader ops per clock?) - which is why they're calling it 320 stream processors.

Not sure of the details, but that's the jist.


As far as the Ati/Nvidia battle, the most important part by far will be the midrange. With the 8600 GTS looking relatively weak, Nvidia is going to have a tough time for the next little while if the R6xx midrange derivitives are strong... lion's share of the money is in the midrange.

Put simply, if the X2600 XT can match the X1900 XT in performance, the tables will turn in AMD/Ati's favor pretty quickly (unless Nvidia can come up with a cost-effective way of manufacturing the rumored upcoming 8800 GS to battle it).

If not, everyone will probably be on a pretty even keel for a while... until R700/G90 at least. :) 
April 20, 2007 6:35:46 PM

How can you believe anything from the Fud?
April 20, 2007 6:43:21 PM

Anybody know if a 8800 Ultra with its normal clock be cooler then an Overclocked 8800 GTX? I don't wanna get an Ultra if its gonna neen watercooling x_X
April 20, 2007 6:48:19 PM

Well maybe it has the revised PureVideo engine like the 8600s do.

-mcg
April 20, 2007 7:07:13 PM

Quote:
64 Stream processors? I heard it has 320 but thats just me.
Here

Im not sure how credible this article is but seems solid enough. Not sure where you heard 64 tho, maybe you were looking at the specs for the 2600.


Don't we find out this Monday?
a b U Graphics card
April 20, 2007 7:43:40 PM

Quote:
Don't we find out this Monday?

People who sign NDA's find out this Monday. Peons like us have to salivate over anything that leaks out. :cry: 
April 20, 2007 9:06:16 PM

Speaking of DX10, when will the first game be out, or at least a demo so that we can test these cards using DX10
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2007 6:35:16 PM

Quote:
HOLY moo cow check out these dirx 10 games and pics.
so kewl :) 

dam ! love the water shoot in Flight Simulator X
cant wait to get my r600 and 24" dell lcd


Well that shot in FSX is an artist's concept of DX10 (says so in the original which has been trimmed for that page), many of the others aren't gameplay but pre-rendered scenes used in the promotional images.
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2007 6:45:53 PM

Quote:
It's almost certainly based on the 80nm node the 8600 series is being built at which allows the greater clock speeds.


Well not according to early buzz it's still 90nm and they're accelerating the 65nm refresh, since the 80nm half-node doesn't offer anywhere near the same benefits, and no point in going to 80nm now when AMD is quickly going to 65nm themselves.

Quote:
I wouldn't dismiss it just yet.


No more so than those dismissing the R600. Whichever is faster should be the one people buy and that would be for all levels.

I doubt either will be significantly better than the other, I see more of a GF7900 vs X1900 style battle where one or the other has one or two feature benefits. Based on the rest of the thread no point in discussing it since only a few people seem rational enough to see the past, so why talk about the future with them?
April 21, 2007 7:22:48 PM

Quote:
HOLY moo cow check out these dirx 10 games and pics.
so kewl :) 

dam ! love the water shoot in Flight Simulator X
cant wait to get my r600 and 24" dell lcd


Well that shot in FSX is an artist's concept of DX10 (says so in the original which has been trimmed for that page), many of the others aren't gameplay but pre-rendered scenes used in the promotional images.Damn you beat me to it grrrrr.
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2007 9:02:11 PM

Quote:
I don't understand something here, we have all seen the R600 specs, and it only has 64 stream processors that process 4 streams per cycle, the G80 has 128 that process 2 steams per cycle, so they are on equal footing maybe, but this might also act like a problem for AMD, because shown in the fast having more real pipes/processors have given better results overall than allowing more to be processed at once, maybe this isnt the same here, but we wont know untill DX10 is out how these will work. Also Nvidia and AMD are starting out equal this time, remember in 2002 Nvidia didnt get to participate in creating the DX9 standard and ATI did, ATI had the the upper hand and if Nvidia wanted to stay in the game, they had to guess at how DX9 would work, or wait till the SDK came out and then build a core that would have shipped when the 6800 did anyway. Nvidia isnt playing catchup and neither is AMD, they are equal, in the past ATI could be one step ahead, but not anymore they are both equal and so far AMD has nothing to show.


Ummm ...

nVIDIA's stream processors if you look at it from a 128 number view can only process a single stream per clock.

Ati's R600 has 64 Unified shaders (full shaders) capable of 5 ops each per clock for a total of 320 stream processors.

Under DirectX9c ATi's R600 is at a dis-advantage as DX9c cannot fully use R600's muscle. But R600 (much like R300) was built for it's respective DirectX version.. being DX10.

Which is why under 3D Mark 2006 a Radeon HD 2900XT loses to an 8800GTX but then trumps it under Crysis (DX10).

DirectX10 is not architecture dependant. It's sorta will treat shader units fom ATi and nVIDIA on equal grounds. In other words R600 is a DirectX10 monster.
!