Please Help!

ScunnyUK

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
Hi All,
My sister has just subscribed to sky broadband, and was sent the Netgear DG834GT router. She baught the DLink Air Plus G DWL-G122 usb adapter to connect her pc with the router.
Can anyone tell me if these items are compatible with each other before I go on to trying to explain the issues she/we are having trying to connect?
All help is appretiated
Thanx Gaz

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Yes, they are compatible at standard 802.11b or 802.11g. The D-Link does not support the "super G" that the Netgear offers.

ScunnyUK

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
Thanx Iceblue for the reply,
Now Ive tried to get this connection to work but am having problems, at first it kept saying the Dlink (usb addapter) wasnt connected now sometimes it will flash up showing a connection for a second or two then loose it again, I know this probably doesnt make any sense to anybody, but its hard to explain!
My sisters pc is very old and doesnt have an ethernet connection,I know I could get a pci or usb one,but would this be making a difference to it not connecting wirelessly, as in is there any settings in the router settings that would need to be changed / set before I can connect wirelessly as you need to be connected to internet to set the router settings, and the only way for us to do that would be with a wired connection?
Hope this makes sense , All Help Appreciated Thanx Gaz!

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
The best way to set up a router is with a wired connection. If you have a computer available with a wired NIC that you could take to her place for setup, that would help alot, since you could confirm that the router is operating properly, that the wireless is enabled, etc.

If the router is used, make sure you perform a hard reset of it to restore it to factory defaults. That is usually a "hidden" button that requires a stylus to push it in, and you usually have to hold it in for 30 seconds or so.

Do you have the manufacturer's CD that came with the USB adapter? I am assuming that since your sister's PC is old, it is not running the latest version of Windows. That means you will probably have to load the drivers from the CD and run the manufacturer's utility to actually use the adapter. If you plugged the USB adapter in before you loaded the drivers, etc., you may have engaged Windows plug and play to install the default Windows driver for your adapter. That may be a problem. If so, uninstall the adapter completely (using the Windows hardware uninstall utility), and start over by installing the CD first.