Sign in with
Your question

Low End Card comment - Leadtek 7100 GS

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 20, 2007 1:12:16 PM

im making a new system, and as previously stated on my posts.... im making a system with low vid capabilities due to money constraints... and the main reason would be playing low end games (dx 9 games / OLD GAMES) -- would be upgrading to a HIGHER card in 4 months or so...

my question would be.... will the 7100 GS run THESE games at MAX settings in MAX RESOLUTION POSSIBLE:

Starcraft
Warcraft
Diablo 2
SIms

and medium end games:

Final Fantasy 11
World of Warcraft

and high end games

OBLIVION

comments ? help needed....

thanks a lot !
April 20, 2007 1:37:47 PM

the old games?
Starcraft
Warcraft
Diablo 2
SIms

Should run them all at highest. The card itself isn't great, but these games were designed for computer systems many generations ago. When most of the current technologies weren't even thought of. Really. Diablo 2 runs at 640x480 with sprites. these games will run on hghest settings on the low end card from 2 generations ago.

2nd teir.
Final Fantasy 11
World of Warcraft

these games wont be able to be played on the maximums. however, the 7100 SHOULD in theory play them with medium settings and slower performance. I'd expect to see WoW playing with low / medium settings running aruond 30fps (it runs on my 6150 on the laptop at these settings around 20fps). You may get a little more eye candy, but nothing spectacular. FF11 might be more difficult. it's pretty graphic intensive.

and the 3rd teir..

oblivion?

don't bother. Oblivion taxes the hell out of the high end 8800's on max settings. a low end card will die. it MIGHT play it. but with the settings on almost nothing with around 10fps. if this is the card you're stuc with, you have very few otpions when it comes to modern games.
April 20, 2007 1:38:03 PM

Quote:
im making a new system, and as previously stated on my posts.... im making a system with low vid capabilities due to money constraints... and the main reason would be playing low end games (dx 9 games / OLD GAMES) -- would be upgrading to a HIGHER card in 4 months or so...

my question would be.... will the 7100 GS run THESE games at MAX settings in MAX RESOLUTION POSSIBLE:

Starcraft
Warcraft
Diablo 2
SIms

and medium end games:

Final Fantasy 11
World of Warcraft

and high end games

OBLIVION

comments ? help needed....

thanks a lot !

yes
yes
WC and WC2 yes, WC3 maybe
sims yes sims 2 no

no
no

oh hell no
Related resources
April 20, 2007 2:41:28 PM

Quote:

yes
yes
sims yes sims 2 no

no
no

oh hell no

haha i agree :lol: 
April 20, 2007 4:11:19 PM

well ok maybe if you can force oblivion to 300x400 it might run at high with no aa or af
April 20, 2007 4:59:58 PM

Quote:

and high end games

OBLIVION

Umm.....maybe if you OC it to 2ghz core speed...... :lol: 
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 20, 2007 5:12:56 PM

yea thats kind of a HUGE difference in games. theres no way you're playing oblivion. starcraft and diablo2 would run on a 500mhz computer.
sorry its also a no go on WoW and FF11. You could probably get them to run but ur settings will have to be super super super low.
April 20, 2007 5:46:22 PM

Why the &^$! would you ask that question? You listed 3 different classes of games and yet you're asking if that card will run them all at max settings and max resolution? That's crazy. If that's what you wanted to know all you had to say was "Will this thing run Oblivion at max resolution and max settings?"

Oblivion will run so poorly on that setup that you won't even want to bother (if it even loads at all). Think about all of the people on the forumz complaining about 128 bit memory interfaces on video cards like the 7600 GT and the 8600 GTS... well, that 7100 is being squeezed by a 64 bit memory interface. Money spent on that card is NOT money well spent... might as well just use integrated until you can afford something a little higher up the food chain.
April 20, 2007 5:51:12 PM

And for the record a 7600 GT can be had for under $100 @ NewEgg if you factor in the $20 rebate. No, that's not going to play Oblivion at the highest settings possible, but it will allow the game to play (at reduced settings)... but don't take my word for it!

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1947827,00.a...
April 20, 2007 5:53:37 PM

Yeah, I played Oblivion on my 3700+ and 7600GT and it was okay. Boring game, though.
April 20, 2007 5:54:35 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I played Oblivion on my 3700+ and 7600GT and it was okay. Boring game, though.

No way! I don't play it any more, but it was great while it lasted.
April 20, 2007 5:56:31 PM

I guess I never really got into it. I stopped at the beginning, right after you get out of the sewers. It just seemed like, "yeah sure you can run around and do whatever, but what's the point? I'm gonna go play CS:S". I liked BG, BG2, NWN and NWN2 though.
April 20, 2007 6:01:45 PM

just to note something the 128bit bus isnt that big of an issue on midrange cards, and i have no idea why ppl bitch all the time, that 8600GTS has the same bandwith the 6800GT had 2 years ago, thats plenty fine for the res mid range gamers play at, they arnt 1600x1200, they are 10x7 or 12x10.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 20, 2007 6:02:16 PM

its more for people who want to stand out in the forest and stare at how pretty everything rendered. gameplay is bleh. bored after 20 minute sessions.
April 20, 2007 6:21:00 PM

Quote:
I guess I never really got into it. I stopped at the beginning, right after you get out of the sewers. It just seemed like, "yeah sure you can run around and do whatever, but what's the point? I'm gonna go play CS:S". I liked BG, BG2, NWN and NWN2 though.

Loved BG 2 and NWN... bought NWN2 the day it came out and regretted it ever since. Threw that $45 away! Oh well, at least it was just a left over Best Buy Christmas gift card. I file that one under the same category as D&D Online... ugh... such a disappointment.
April 20, 2007 6:26:09 PM

I think it's okay, as good as or maybe a little better than NWN 1 but not at the lofty heights of BG2. Greatest RPG ever made, in my opinion.
April 20, 2007 6:27:55 PM

Quote:
I think it's okay, as good as or maybe a little better than NWN 1 but not at the lofty heights of BG2. Greatest RPG ever made, in my opinion.

Sorry, but no. Ultima 7 Pt. 2 is the best RPG ever. It's been all downhill since that.
a c 147 U Graphics card
April 20, 2007 6:33:57 PM

Quote:

yes
yes
sims yes sims 2 no

no
no

oh hell no

Doctor.. I concur.. Haha :lol: 

Dude if you are making a new system give us your spec or planned setup, we could help you out. I've found that some people are spending way to much on other items than on where it count... On the graphics card. Maybe people overkill on the PSU sometimes, others on highend memory. Some get an overkill motherboard and they are not overclocking or running sli or the bells and whistle that you dont really need.
Example... My buddy put together a system for himself with a Core2 and 2 Gb of memory and a x1950Pro and expected to play Supreme Commander. I shuffled things around for him and he payed virtually the SAME price for his sytem but got a 8800GTS 320MB instead. You just have to be smart about where you put yoru funds on a build.
April 20, 2007 6:56:54 PM

If you're building an entirely new system just get an AMD/ATI 690G based board. The integrated graphic is pretty good and I'm willing to bet on par easily with the 7100gs. I would do that if i was going to even consider the 7100gs.
And, it has the pci-e slot for later improvement. That is if money is that super-tight. If you want a high-end card later and can't afford it, just do that for now.
April 20, 2007 6:59:08 PM

I didn't know starcraft had any video settings! (Other than removing/freezing unit portrait).

I had to recheck the thread date, april 2007, thought it would be april 2001 for some reason..
April 20, 2007 7:03:48 PM

Quote:
just to note something the 128bit bus isnt that big of an issue on midrange cards, and i have no idea why ppl bitch all the time, that 8600GTS has the same bandwith the 6800GT had 2 years ago, thats plenty fine for the res mid range gamers play at, they arnt 1600x1200, they are 10x7 or 12x10.

Indeed, unless you really want to play on the ultra-settings and really want to spend the big cash on the big card (up to you completely) they are overestimating what you really need to play Oblivion and still have it look outstanding.
It plays very, very, very well on my GF's 3800x2 (mildly oc'd to 2.4g) and 7800gt. Granted, this is at 1024x768 on "High" settings and it plays real smooth and still looks sweet. A little jaggy but, whatever. The max res on her monitor isn't much higher than that anyway.
April 20, 2007 7:05:03 PM

Quote:

Sorry, but no. Ultima 7 Pt. 2 is the best RPG ever. It's been all downhill since that.

Fallout(2) is the best RPG ever.
April 20, 2007 7:06:26 PM

Quote:

Starcraft

ROFLMAO. I played Pentium166 machines (my school did). Ran just fine. I would hope any modern computer / graphics card can run the game w/o issues.
April 20, 2007 7:10:12 PM

your both wrong. Final fantasy 7 best rpg ever, despite being on a console. Did get ported to the pc though, but the swines cut the music down to MIDI, what a waste of an awesome soundtrack
April 20, 2007 7:16:09 PM

Chrono Trigger was the best... sorry.
April 20, 2007 7:57:19 PM

u will be able to play WC3 on max settings. I have a 9550 pro and it runs it at max with no framerate complaints, it even ran at max on my old 9200. This card is way faster than the ones i just mentioned, so warcraft 3 is playable. It is a great game btw, play both the original and the expansion.
a c 147 U Graphics card
April 20, 2007 8:45:35 PM

Quote:
your both wrong. Final fantasy 7 best rpg ever, despite being on a console. Did get ported to the pc though, but the swines cut the music down to MIDI, what a waste of an awesome soundtrack

FF7 was the only RPG i ever finished.. well besides Dragon Warrior on NES.. I refused to get rid of my NES until I beat it. It took FOREVER.
!