Sign in with
Your question

Hokay... Anyone Try Cats 7.4 Yet?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 20, 2007 1:59:37 PM

I guess this'll be my monthly question from now on LOL.

Da Worfster

More about : hokay cats

April 20, 2007 2:27:05 PM

No, I cant be arsed; they probably wont install correctly and ill have to dick around with my PC for three hours so ill leave it with its 'windows XP style taskbar then reboot and its magically windows classic taskbar problem' as it is!

M
April 20, 2007 2:31:19 PM

What I read was that they just tweaked the drivers to support Vista. No change on the XP platform from 7.3. I think I got it from the ATI website.
Related resources
April 20, 2007 2:34:16 PM

No problems here in Vista 32. Uninstalled 7.2 (i know, i skipped a month), reboot, install 7.4, reboot. All is well.

As for ATI drivers in gerenal, ive never had any problems with them. I have been running ATI cards for about 4 years now.
April 20, 2007 2:39:31 PM

nope, gonna wait for the omegadrivers and use those.
April 20, 2007 3:05:57 PM

My rigs running real well with Cat 7.3. I think I'll leave well enough alone till there's some legitimate reason to bump up.

Da Worfster
April 21, 2007 7:10:06 PM

My vista pc is running waaay better with 7.4!
7.3 was murdering my pc with constant Blue Screens and failed bootups.
April 23, 2007 4:47:07 PM

Quote:
My vista pc is running waaay better with 7.4!
7.3 was murdering my pc with constant Blue Screens and failed bootups.

Same problems here until i upgraded to 7.4, now i havn't had any BSOD's on startup.
May 14, 2007 12:34:42 PM

I loaded the 7.4 today and noticed no difference. I'm using WIn XP Pro, x1650pro and Viewsonic 20in LCD.
May 14, 2007 1:30:45 PM

Download 3DMark06 and give it a run to see if there is any diffs in performance benchmarks.
May 15, 2007 2:58:29 PM

I haven't had any problems with 7.2 and I'm not running Vista so I've seen no reason to ugrade although I might if they give a bit of a performance boost.
May 15, 2007 4:12:13 PM

My PC is dual-boot, XP Home and Vista Home Premium 64-bit.

I did install 7.4 on Vista (to great effect on my gaming) but kept 7.2 on XP.

I didn't install 7.3 (for both Vista and XP) when I realized that it cause some PC to malfunction and 7.4 didn't bring anything worth the effort under XP. I actually upgrade only when "necessary" under XP. But the upgrade process is so much easier under Vista that i don't mind upgrading since all it require is a restart. No uninstall/restart/reinstall/restart as under XP.
May 15, 2007 4:17:21 PM

Quote:
No problems here in Vista 32. Uninstalled 7.2 (i know, i skipped a month), reboot, install 7.4, reboot. All is well.

As for ATI drivers in gerenal, ive never had any problems with them. I have been running ATI cards for about 4 years now.

You don't need to uninstall under Vista before instaslling the new driver. ATI/AMD (which one I'm not sure) has redone the whole installer to make it more efficient so all you have to do is click on the driver you downloaded. It'll ask you if you want to: uninstall drivers, replace it or fix a missed installation/corrupt driver. Choose replace previous driver and let it do it's thing. Then restart when asked for and you have a perfectly install driver.

That,s if 32 and 64-bit drivers install the same way, but I think they do.
!