Please take out Dr. Phil next

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Take Two Defeat Jack Thompson In Court

http://www.thelastboss.com/post.phtml?pk=2660

I am so sick of seeing Dr. Phil's face on TV. That guy is poisoning this society. No credentials, no real understanding of what the heck is going on. Please tell me that they will take on him next.

Note: GTA is really a violent game. That's the only game I think should definately not be played by minors.

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Played GTA... I personally didnt think it was as bad as the media try's to portray it....hell, it doesnt even look that great.

Good to see ol' jack got his ass kicked in court though.

About that, if your not going to let minor's play GTA3, then you might as well not let them play FEAR, Doom3, Hitman, Stalker and a few other choice selections. those imho are worse than GTA

Hell, some of the servers in CS are horrible; I'm no saint myself, but I dont think I've heard as much profanity in live life at any given point in time.

jeff_2087

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
I think GTA is the worst too. Sure, FEAR and CS:S are violent, but it's less like real-life violence. GTA3 portrays stealing, shooting, killing, etc as an ideal way of life with no real repercussions. If your character is killed or arrested, you just respawn.

And if CS:S servers are the most profanity you've seen, clearly you haven't /b/een exposed a certain /b/ulletin /b/oard. :lol:

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Dont you think those games are more "fantasy" than real life? Playing Call of Duty 2 takes me back to WWII. Its not real, which a lot of games arent.

GTA - I think a kid who lives and a gang based neighbourhood playing this game, is closer to reality than many people think. Have you heard how they talk in the game, the way they act, the scenes etc. I think it just promotes violence for a certain section of the population, and not necessarily the best idea.

I've played it though (Vice City), and had a blast (now that game was fun). San Andreas is more life like (not as "cartoony") so not the best game for minors. I got bored playing that and moved on to others.

Tough call. You'll never stop kids playing games no matter what. Developers should just push content that is MORE fun and more population friendly.

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
I think GTA is the worst too. Sure, FEAR and CS:S are violent, but it's less like real-life violence. GTA3 portrays stealing, shooting, killing, etc as an ideal way of life with no real repercussions. If your character is killed or arrested, you just respawn.

And if CS:S servers are the most profanity you've seen, clearly you haven't /b/een exposed a certain /b/ulletin /b/oard. :lol:

Ditto - I just made the connection too between real life and fantasy games. I mean, how can WoW be bad for one's brain (other than getting no sleep). A huge man eating boss that heals themself - naaaaa, no danger in getting to entwined in that vs. real life.

JCon

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
Forgive my ignorance of the American Constitution, but where does it say you have the RIGHT to play video games?

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
I wasnt ditinguishing between fantasy games and "real life" games...

just generalizing the violence and that it is indeed worse in other titles.

if we want to be serious....Dr. Mario is horrible for kids!! seriously, that guy has put countless people into medicinal shock from an OD then influenced uncounted masses into being pill heads.

its gotta stop. too much medication in this nation. we gotta stop from just throwing pills at problems....

glupee

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
It's all about education. People have to be more responsible for their kids education. Parents are a child's first and largest influence, so it's a real shame when parents start letting the media start to educate their children for them.
The same thing happened with violence in cartoons, now look at the crappy assed cartoons kids gotta watch these days. They're, non-imaginative, horribly simple, and down right stupid most of the time. It'd be a shame if the same thing were to happen to games just because people are too irresponsible to be proper parents. Just my 2 cents.

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
The problem is that it is up to the parents to montor what their kids watch/play and a lot of them don't.

Forget violent games. There are a lot of TV shows and music videos young children should not watch. The problem is that people watch TV and see these reality shows and talk shows and think this is how you are supposed to behave and that is how everyone is. If things are not sensationalized in the media then no one would watch it. So they make a huge deal out of every thing.

A lot of parents are not very good parents and do not set good examples. A lot of kids follow in their parents foot steps. If you father is a drug dealer or criminal then you will probably end up the same way.

Some nature so nurtue.

Most things are ok in moderation. Too much of anything can be bad for you. That applies to almost everything.

These are some of the prices that you pay for living in a free society. There are different levels of values in this country. You have the far left, the far right and the middle of the road. A lot of us fall some where in the middle.

glupee

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
But why sensor when you can educate?
Sensorship only creates taboos, and we all know how much fun those are! :twisted:

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
i just felt that surely if America outright refuse to ban handguns (on the basis of constitutional right to own one) then there is no way they could be allowed to ban video games (as it is my constitutional right to play them)

You have no such right technically speaking, although I do agree that video games are not the cause.

In the FBI paper, which conducted a study to determine the roots of these kids' problem, you know what they found?

There were more than 30-35 factors, the majority dealing with home and school life, but the emphasis seemed to be more on the parents than anything.

Here is a quote:

Fascination with Violence-Filled Entertainment
The student demonstrates an unusual fascination with movies, TV shows, computer
games, music videos or printed material that focus intensively on themes of violence, hatred,
control, power, death, and destruction. He may incessantly watch one movie or read and reread
one book with violent content, perhaps involving school violence. Themes of hatred, violence,
weapons, and mass destruction recur in virtually all his activities, hobbies, and pastimes.
The student spends inordinate amounts of time playing video games with violent themes,
and seems more interested in the violent images than in the game itself.
On the Internet, the student regularly searches for web sites involving violence, weapons,
and other disturbing subjects. There is evidence the student has downloaded and kept material
from these sites.

Ok so games may be a tiny factor, but 1 or 2 pages later we get this:

Parents do not react to behavior that most parents would find very disturbing or abnormal.
They appear unable to recognize or acknowledge problems in their children and respond quite
defensively to any real or perceived criticism of their child. If contacted by school officials or staff
about the child's troubling behavior, the parents appear unconcerned, minimize the problem, or
reject the reports altogether even if the child's misconduct is obvious and significant.

and

Parents do not supervise, limit or monitor the student's television watching or his use of
the Internet. The student may have a TV in his own room or is otherwise free without any limits
to spend as much time as he likes watching violent or otherwise inappropriate shows. The student
spends a great deal of time watching television rather than in activities with family or friends.
Similarly, parents do not monitor computer use or Internet access. The student may know
much more about computers than the parents do, and the computer may be considered off limits
to the parents while the student is secretive about his computer use, which may involve violent
games or Internet research on violence, weapons, or other disturbing subjects.

So, what these media bones heads fail to do is acknowledge the other points in the paper. The FBI recognizes the parents/home life as its own category of risk factors, while gaming, or entertainment in general, is a sub point to a larger set of risk factors in the personal category. This distortion of the truth is what is bringing games under fire and causing the average person to blame something else.

What if we, as a society, started taking responsibility for our own damn actions?

Why not blame the shooter for not asking for help?

Why not blame him for not exerting some self control?

Why not put more news worthy stories about the families devastated by this story instead of programs dedicated to the shooter?

Useless f***in journalists.

Linkage

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Please elaborate...so you want to make every thing legal? Drugs, prostitution, slavery, murder.........see the slippery slope you are on.

You have to understand that children and even pre teens brains are not fully developed until they reach their early 20's.

Also young children are easily influenced and don't always make the connection between action and consequences.

You have to have some kind of censorship. We can't have a free for all and civil disorder.

People need to be educated but they also need to be protected as well. Especially children.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Please elaborate...so you want to make every thing legal? Drugs, prostitution, slavery, murder.........see the slippery slope you are on.

You have to understand that children and even pre teens brains are not fully developed until they reach their early 20's.

Also young children are easily influenced and don't always make the connection between action and consequences.

You have to have some kind of censorship. We can't have a free for all and civil disorder.

People need to be educated but they also need to be protected as well. Especially children.
Best post of the thread, for sure. :wink: I also agree with some of the FBI findings that Super fly posted. Most notably, the fact that many, many parents will deny their childs' guilt(or accusations of). The other point about parents not "supervising their kids while watching TV/Internet"....yes.... easier said than done, and you have to give them some room(privacy, what have you) especially while they have friends over. It's smart to wonder past them occasionally, when they aren't expecting it. One big difference between now, and when i was a kid (late 70's), is that both parents pretty-much have to work to pay the bills, meaning A:) daycare/baby-sitter(scary...molestation risk) B:) they are home alone from the time they get home from school...til a parent gets home(usually 1-2hrs.). C:) Only one parent work, and live a lower(financially) lifestyle... very good option as far as child-rearing goes... many sacrifices are made. In relation to "C", the cost of living is brutal, with kids clothes, hobbies, birthday parties/holidays, school-trips, school supplies, etc.etc....which isn't fair to the child, if you can't afford all of these things, and they are laughed at or singled-out.(going thru all this sh*t now). Sorry for long post, but there are no "easy" answers.

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
What is protection? ask yourself that....

I remember watching tom and jerry when I was much younger; and by a strange coincidence I saw it the other day (when I say strange, I meant i was bored and started watching cartoons) keep in mind this is a "kids" program....

but cartoons shooting guns, dropping bowling balls, swalling pool cues....

all violent but acceptable in this society.

it honestly is completely up to the parenting, some children mature emotionally faster then others and can handle an older subject material.
Hell I remember watching Predator with my father when I was 6 and I loved it. Then Blazing saddles, possibly the funniest movie ever... I havent killed anyone (to my knowledge) I consider myself a rather well-rounded and social individual. I was explained though, the images I saw and teh games I played were not real, and it all has to be absorbed in moderation. I was taught how to hunt, trap and clean animals...and respect for firearms all at a tender age.

I will say that violence in general does contribute; but its usually a given that there is some underlying mental disorder that is the main backdrop to these hideous acts. Like I said, I've never been diagnosed with any type of disease or disorder, and I dont feel the need to shoot someone after playing Half Life.

Its self control; and it can't be preached any more - parenting! The VA shooter's folkes were said to be really nice people; I'm sure they are, however the reports list that they didnt take very aggressive steps towards helping their son with his......'issues'. I'm not saying its easy either, raising a child; however its not hard to detect when something is amiss.

If we as a society would stop letting our youth be raised by the media then perhaps we could begin to understand our problems a bit better.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Yes!!! Dr. Phil must die!!! I hate that guy, he's so full of $hit!!!
I don't think he is. He's right... more than he's wrong. I used to watch him everyday, but i don't anymore....not because i think he's wrong, but just because his ego has swelled, and he's getting a little full of himself. He is a smart guy though, but his values don't necessarily "jive" with most of society's excepted values....now-a-days. Of course most younger people aren't going to listen to what he says.....because he sounds like...."a parent", and what kid wants to listen to a parent. Once you get older, and have your own kids, most people realize why their parents did/said what they did. / lecture. :oops: