MS Word is hung up

Hi,
I recently reformatted my harddrive and reloaded onto it MS Office97. All
of the programs seem to work EXCEPT Word. When I click on Word, it brings up
the main screen, but then it just gets hung up with the hourglass and screen
slightly flickering and doesn't stop unless I go to Task Manager to End Task.
It worked before though. Any suggestions???? Please Help!
16 answers Last reply
More about word hung

    Hi,

    Tried a repair installation of the Office product yet?
    Installed the Service Packs?

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "hokiegamecuber" <hokiegamecuber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I recently reformatted my harddrive and reloaded onto it MS Office97. All
    > of the programs seem to work EXCEPT Word. When I click on Word, it brings
    > up
    > the main screen, but then it just gets hung up with the hourglass and
    > screen
    > slightly flickering and doesn't stop unless I go to Task Manager to End
    > Task.
    > It worked before though. Any suggestions???? Please Help!

    What do you mean by a repair installation? I installed Office BEFORE I
    installed the Service Packs. Should I uninstall Office and then reinstall it
    again? I'll try this.

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Tried a repair installation of the Office product yet?
    > Installed the Service Packs?
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "hokiegamecuber" <hokiegamecuber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > > I recently reformatted my harddrive and reloaded onto it MS Office97. All
    > > of the programs seem to work EXCEPT Word. When I click on Word, it brings
    > > up
    > > the main screen, but then it just gets hung up with the hourglass and
    > > screen
    > > slightly flickering and doesn't stop unless I go to Task Manager to End
    > > Task.
    > > It worked before though. Any suggestions???? Please Help!

    I tried the uninstall and reinstall of Office and Word still gets hung up
    with the hourglass cursor, never stops blinking to allow me to use the
    program. Other programs (Excel,etc) are fine. What else?
    Thank you!

    In news:7E196B43-4D43-4E62-9910-A874B368E565@microsoft.com,
    hokiegamecuber <hokiegamecuber@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > I tried the uninstall and reinstall of Office and Word still gets
    > hung up with the hourglass cursor, never stops blinking to allow me
    > to use the program. Other programs (Excel,etc) are fine. What else?
    > Thank you!

    I think Rick means have you installed the service packs not just for the OS
    but also for Office?

    Galen

    Right.

    In addition, hokiegamecuber might also try locating and deleting normal.dot.
    The template may be damaged.

    --

    hokiegamecuber wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I recently reformatted my harddrive and reloaded onto it MS Office97. All
    > of the programs seem to work EXCEPT Word. When I click on Word, it brings up
    > the main screen, but then it just gets hung up with the hourglass and screen
    > slightly flickering and doesn't stop unless I go to Task Manager to End Task.
    > It worked before though. Any suggestions???? Please Help!

    Also, make sure your AntiVIrus program is off. I had loads of problems
    installing excel97 quite a time ago and it was my AV program.

    GA

    --
    My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.

    The only service packs for Office 97 are SR-1 and SR-2

    Downloadable from here.

    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/results.aspx?Scope=DC&Query=office+97

    Good idea to install these, but first I would suggest you find Normal.dot and
    re-name to Normal.old and let Word re-build it.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

    On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 23:44:24 -0400, "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote:

    >In news:7E196B43-4D43-4E62-9910-A874B368E565@microsoft.com,
    >hokiegamecuber <hokiegamecuber@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    >> I tried the uninstall and reinstall of Office and Word still gets
    >> hung up with the hourglass cursor, never stops blinking to allow me
    >> to use the program. Other programs (Excel,etc) are fine. What else?
    >> Thank you!
    >
    >I think Rick means have you installed the service packs not just for the OS
    >but also for Office?
    >
    >Galen

    Thanks. It won't let me install SR-1 saying it cannot detect Office 97 on my
    computer and then won't install SR-2 because I don't have SR-1 installed.
    Nonetheless, I'm having the same problem with Word. What else? Should I
    reinstall Office97? I can't figure out how to turn off my McAfee Virus
    scanner too.
    Thanks for your help!

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Right.
    >
    > In addition, hokiegamecuber might also try locating and deleting normal.dot.
    > The template may be damaged.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > In news:7E196B43-4D43-4E62-9910-A874B368E565@microsoft.com,
    > > hokiegamecuber <hokiegamecuber@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:
    > >
    > > My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:
    > >
    > >> I tried the uninstall and reinstall of Office and Word still gets
    > >> hung up with the hourglass cursor, never stops blinking to allow me
    > >> to use the program. Other programs (Excel,etc) are fine. What else?
    > >> Thank you!
    > >
    > > I think Rick means have you installed the service packs not just for the
    > > OS but also for Office?
    > >
    > > Galen
    > > --
    > > Signature changed for a moment of silence.
    > > Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

    Hi,

    Have you tried deleting normal.dot yet?

    --

    > Thanks. It won't let me install SR-1 saying it cannot detect Office 97 on
    > my
    > computer and then won't install SR-2 because I don't have SR-1 installed.
    > Nonetheless, I'm having the same problem with Word. What else? Should I
    > reinstall Office97? I can't figure out how to turn off my McAfee Virus
    > scanner too.
    > Thanks for your help!
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Right.
    >>
    >> In addition, hokiegamecuber might also try locating and deleting
    >> normal.dot.
    >> The template may be damaged.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > In news:7E196B43-4D43-4E62-9910-A874B368E565@microsoft.com,
    >> > hokiegamecuber <hokiegamecuber@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to
    >> > say:
    >> >
    >> > My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:

    >> > I think Rick means have you installed the service packs not just for
    >> > the
    >> > OS but also for Office?
    >> >
    >> > Galen
    >> > --
    >> > Signature changed for a moment of silence.
    >> > Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

    Yes, I renamed the normal.dot file normal.old as suggested and restarted my
    computer. Would reinstalling Office help?
    Thanks

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Have you tried deleting normal.dot yet?
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "hokiegamecuber" <hokiegamecuber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks. It won't let me install SR-1 saying it cannot detect Office 97 on
    > > my
    > > computer and then won't install SR-2 because I don't have SR-1 installed.
    > > Nonetheless, I'm having the same problem with Word. What else? Should I
    > > reinstall Office97? I can't figure out how to turn off my McAfee Virus
    > > scanner too.
    > > Thanks for your help!
    > >
    > > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Right.
    > >>
    > >> In addition, hokiegamecuber might also try locating and deleting
    > >> normal.dot.
    > >> The template may be damaged.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Best of Luck,

    > >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    > >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > >>
    > >> "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message

    hokie

    Re-installing wouldn't hurt, but may not be your problem.

    Have you tried the microsoft.public.office.setup news group?

    For info on how to completely remove Office 97 in order to have a good
    re-install see this site.

    Note the file download required.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q158658/

    Gord

    On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 12:38:07 -0700, "hokiegamecuber"
    <hokiegamecuber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Yes, I renamed the normal.dot file normal.old as suggested and restarted my
    >computer. Would reinstalling Office help?
    >Thanks
    >
    >"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Have you tried deleting normal.dot yet?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "hokiegamecuber" <hokiegamecuber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thanks. It won't let me install SR-1 saying it cannot detect Office 97 on
    >> > my
    >> > computer and then won't install SR-2 because I don't have SR-1 installed.
    >> > Nonetheless, I'm having the same problem with Word. What else? Should I
    >> > reinstall Office97? I can't figure out how to turn off my McAfee Virus
    >> > scanner too.
    >> > Thanks for your help!

    Rick & Gord,

    Ok. Here's what I've done: I first renamed the normal.dot file to
    normal.old-didn't work so I deleted the normal file-still didn't work.
    Uninstalled Office, which it turns out I have Office 4.3 and Word 6.0, then
    reinstalled it with my McAfee disabled. Still getting same problem. Read
    about a share.exe file which I have on system and it doesn't do anything I
    can see after clicking on it. What now?

    Your help is always appreciated!

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Have you tried deleting normal.dot yet?
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "hokiegamecuber" <hokiegamecuber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks. It won't let me install SR-1 saying it cannot detect Office 97 on
    > > my
    > > computer and then won't install SR-2 because I don't have SR-1 installed.
    > > Nonetheless, I'm having the same problem with Word. What else? Should I
    > > reinstall Office97? I can't figure out how to turn off my McAfee Virus
    > > scanner too.
    > > Thanks for your help!
    > >
    > > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Right.
    > >>
    > >> In addition, hokiegamecuber might also try locating and deleting
    > >> normal.dot.
    > >> The template may be damaged.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Best of Luck,

    > >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    > >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > >>
    > >> "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message

    Hi,

    The source of your problem is likely the older version you are using. As far
    as I know, Office 97 is the oldest version that will function properly in
    WinXP.

    --

    > Rick & Gord,
    >
    > Ok. Here's what I've done: I first renamed the normal.dot file to
    > normal.old-didn't work so I deleted the normal file-still didn't work.
    > Uninstalled Office, which it turns out I have Office 4.3 and Word 6.0,
    > then
    > reinstalled it with my McAfee disabled. Still getting same problem. Read
    > about a share.exe file which I have on system and it doesn't do anything I
    > can see after clicking on it. What now?
    >
    > Your help is always appreciated!
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Have you tried deleting normal.dot yet?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "hokiegamecuber" <hokiegamecuber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message
    >> > Thanks. It won't let me install SR-1 saying it cannot detect Office 97
    >> > on
    >> > my
    >> > computer and then won't install SR-2 because I don't have SR-1
    >> > installed.
    >> > Nonetheless, I'm having the same problem with Word. What else? Should
    >> > reinstall Office97? I can't figure out how to turn off my McAfee Virus
    >> > scanner too.
    >> > Thanks for your help!

    Thanks. I realized I installed an older version and the one I had before my
    reformat was Office97. But, why would the older Office all work except Word
    6.0. Oh well, I'll try to find my Office 97 cd and reload it.
    Thanks for all your help!

Microsoft Word Microsoft Windows XP