MS Word is hung up

April 22, 2005 10:11:02 PM

Hi,
I recently reformatted my harddrive and reloaded onto it MS Office97. All
of the programs seem to work EXCEPT Word. When I click on Word, it brings up
the main screen, but then it just gets hung up with the hourglass and screen
slightly flickering and doesn't stop unless I go to Task Manager to End Task.
It worked before though. Any suggestions???? Please Help!

More about : word hung

Anonymous
April 23, 2005 1:52:32 AM

Hi,

Tried a repair installation of the Office product yet?
Installed the Service Packs?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"hokiegamecuber" <hokiegamecuber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I recently reformatted my harddrive and reloaded onto it MS Office97. All
> of the programs seem to work EXCEPT Word. When I click on Word, it brings
> up
> the main screen, but then it just gets hung up with the hourglass and
> screen
> slightly flickering and doesn't stop unless I go to Task Manager to End
> Task.
> It worked before though. Any suggestions???? Please Help!
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 1:52:33 AM

What do you mean by a repair installation? I installed Office BEFORE I
installed the Service Packs. Should I uninstall Office and then reinstall it
again? I'll try this.

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Tried a repair installation of the Office product yet?
> Installed the Service Packs?
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "hokiegamecuber" <hokiegamecuber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I recently reformatted my harddrive and reloaded onto it MS Office97. All
> > of the programs seem to work EXCEPT Word. When I click on Word, it brings
> > up
> > the main screen, but then it just gets hung up with the hourglass and
> > screen
> > slightly flickering and doesn't stop unless I go to Task Manager to End
> > Task.
> > It worked before though. Any suggestions???? Please Help!

April 23, 2005 1:52:33 AM

I tried the uninstall and reinstall of Office and Word still gets hung up
with the hourglass cursor, never stops blinking to allow me to use the
program. Other programs (Excel,etc) are fine. What else?
Thank you!

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Tried a repair installation of the Office product yet?
> Installed the Service Packs?
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "hokiegamecuber" <hokiegamecuber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I recently reformatted my harddrive and reloaded onto it MS Office97. All
> > of the programs seem to work EXCEPT Word. When I click on Word, it brings
> > up
> > the main screen, but then it just gets hung up with the hourglass and
> > screen
> > slightly flickering and doesn't stop unless I go to Task Manager to End
> > Task.
> > It worked before though. Any suggestions???? Please Help!

Anonymous
April 23, 2005 1:52:34 AM

"hokiegamecuber" wrote:

> What do you mean by a repair installation? I installed Office BEFORE I
> installed the XP Service Packs. Should I uninstall Office and then reinstall it
> again? I'll try this.
>
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Tried a repair installation of the Office product yet?
> > Installed the Service Packs?
> >
> > --
> > Best of Luck,

> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> > Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> > www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >
> > "hokiegamecuber" <hokiegamecuber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > > I recently reformatted my harddrive and reloaded onto it MS Office97. All
> > > of the programs seem to work EXCEPT Word. When I click on Word, it brings
> > > up
> > > the main screen, but then it just gets hung up with the hourglass and
> > > screen
> > > slightly flickering and doesn't stop unless I go to Task Manager to End
> > > Task.
> > > It worked before though. Any suggestions???? Please Help!

April 23, 2005 3:44:24 AM

In news:7E196B43-4D43-4E62-9910-A874B368E565@microsoft.com,
hokiegamecuber <hokiegamecuber@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I tried the uninstall and reinstall of Office and Word still gets
> hung up with the hourglass cursor, never stops blinking to allow me
> to use the program. Other programs (Excel,etc) are fine. What else?
> Thank you!

I think Rick means have you installed the service packs not just for the OS
but also for Office?

Galen
April 23, 2005 10:41:09 AM

Right.

In addition, hokiegamecuber might also try locating and deleting normal.dot.
The template may be damaged.

--

> In news:7E196B43-4D43-4E62-9910-A874B368E565@microsoft.com,
> hokiegamecuber <hokiegamecuber@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

>> I tried the uninstall and reinstall of Office and Word still gets
>> hung up with the hourglass cursor, never stops blinking to allow me
>> to use the program. Other programs (Excel,etc) are fine. What else?
>> Thank you!
>
> I think Rick means have you installed the service packs not just for the
> OS but also for Office?
>
> Galen
> --
> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

Anonymous
April 23, 2005 12:55:09 PM

hokiegamecuber wrote:

> Hi,
> I recently reformatted my harddrive and reloaded onto it MS Office97. All
> of the programs seem to work EXCEPT Word. When I click on Word, it brings up
> the main screen, but then it just gets hung up with the hourglass and screen
> slightly flickering and doesn't stop unless I go to Task Manager to End Task.
> It worked before though. Any suggestions???? Please Help!

Also, make sure your AntiVIrus program is off. I had loads of problems
installing excel97 quite a time ago and it was my AV program.

GA

--
My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.
Anonymous

The only service packs for Office 97 are SR-1 and SR-2

Downloadable from here.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/results.aspx?Scope=DC...

Good idea to install these, but first I would suggest you find Normal.dot and
re-name to Normal.old and let Word re-build it.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 23:44:24 -0400, "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote:

>In news:7E196B43-4D43-4E62-9910-A874B368E565@microsoft.com,
>hokiegamecuber <hokiegamecuber@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

>> I tried the uninstall and reinstall of Office and Word still gets
>> hung up with the hourglass cursor, never stops blinking to allow me
>> to use the program. Other programs (Excel,etc) are fine. What else?
>> Thank you!
>
>I think Rick means have you installed the service packs not just for the OS
>but also for Office?
>
>Galen
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 1:08:02 AM

Thanks. It won't let me install SR-1 saying it cannot detect Office 97 on my
computer and then won't install SR-2 because I don't have SR-1 installed.
Nonetheless, I'm having the same problem with Word. What else? Should I
reinstall Office97? I can't figure out how to turn off my McAfee Virus
scanner too.
Thanks for your help!

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> The only service packs for Office 97 are SR-1 and SR-2
>
> Downloadable from here.
>
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/results.aspx?Scope=DC...
>
> Good idea to install these, but first I would suggest you find Normal.dot and
> re-name to Normal.old and let Word re-build it.
>

> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>
> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 23:44:24 -0400, "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >In news:7E196B43-4D43-4E62-9910-A874B368E565@microsoft.com,
> >hokiegamecuber <hokiegamecuber@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:
> >
> > My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:
> >
> >> I tried the uninstall and reinstall of Office and Word still gets
> >> hung up with the hourglass cursor, never stops blinking to allow me
> >> to use the program. Other programs (Excel,etc) are fine. What else?
> >> Thank you!
> >
> >I think Rick means have you installed the service packs not just for the OS
> >but also for Office?
> >
> >Galen

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 1:08:03 AM

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Right.
>
> In addition, hokiegamecuber might also try locating and deleting normal.dot.
> The template may be damaged.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > In news:7E196B43-4D43-4E62-9910-A874B368E565@microsoft.com,
> > hokiegamecuber <hokiegamecuber@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:
> >
> > My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:
> >
> >> I tried the uninstall and reinstall of Office and Word still gets
> >> hung up with the hourglass cursor, never stops blinking to allow me
> >> to use the program. Other programs (Excel,etc) are fine. What else?
> >> Thank you!
> >
> > I think Rick means have you installed the service packs not just for the
> > OS but also for Office?
> >
> > Galen
> > --
> > Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> > Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 9:53:13 AM

Hi,

Have you tried deleting normal.dot yet?

--

> Thanks. It won't let me install SR-1 saying it cannot detect Office 97 on
> my
> computer and then won't install SR-2 because I don't have SR-1 installed.
> Nonetheless, I'm having the same problem with Word. What else? Should I
> reinstall Office97? I can't figure out how to turn off my McAfee Virus
> scanner too.
> Thanks for your help!
>
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Right.
>>
>> In addition, hokiegamecuber might also try locating and deleting
>> normal.dot.
>> The template may be damaged.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > In news:7E196B43-4D43-4E62-9910-A874B368E565@microsoft.com,
>> > hokiegamecuber <hokiegamecuber@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to
>> > say:
>> >
>> > My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:

>> > I think Rick means have you installed the service packs not just for
>> > the
>> > OS but also for Office?
>> >
>> > Galen
>> > --
>> > Signature changed for a moment of silence.
>> > Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 4:38:07 PM

Yes, I renamed the normal.dot file normal.old as suggested and restarted my
computer. Would reinstalling Office help?
Thanks

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Have you tried deleting normal.dot yet?
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "hokiegamecuber" <hokiegamecuber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks. It won't let me install SR-1 saying it cannot detect Office 97 on
> > my
> > computer and then won't install SR-2 because I don't have SR-1 installed.
> > Nonetheless, I'm having the same problem with Word. What else? Should I
> > reinstall Office97? I can't figure out how to turn off my McAfee Virus
> > scanner too.
> > Thanks for your help!
> >
> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Right.
> >>
> >> In addition, hokiegamecuber might also try locating and deleting
> >> normal.dot.
> >> The template may be damaged.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >>
> >> "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 5:04:10 PM

hokie

Re-installing wouldn't hurt, but may not be your problem.

Have you tried the microsoft.public.office.setup news group?

For info on how to completely remove Office 97 in order to have a good
re-install see this site.

Note the file download required.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q158658/

Gord

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 12:38:07 -0700, "hokiegamecuber"
<hokiegamecuber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Yes, I renamed the normal.dot file normal.old as suggested and restarted my
>computer. Would reinstalling Office help?
>Thanks
>
>"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Have you tried deleting normal.dot yet?
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "hokiegamecuber" <hokiegamecuber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks. It won't let me install SR-1 saying it cannot detect Office 97 on
>> > my
>> > computer and then won't install SR-2 because I don't have SR-1 installed.
>> > Nonetheless, I'm having the same problem with Word. What else? Should I
>> > reinstall Office97? I can't figure out how to turn off my McAfee Virus
>> > scanner too.
>> > Thanks for your help!

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 11:45:08 PM

Rick & Gord,

Ok. Here's what I've done: I first renamed the normal.dot file to
normal.old-didn't work so I deleted the normal file-still didn't work.
Uninstalled Office, which it turns out I have Office 4.3 and Word 6.0, then
reinstalled it with my McAfee disabled. Still getting same problem. Read
about a share.exe file which I have on system and it doesn't do anything I
can see after clicking on it. What now?

Your help is always appreciated!

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Have you tried deleting normal.dot yet?
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "hokiegamecuber" <hokiegamecuber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks. It won't let me install SR-1 saying it cannot detect Office 97 on
> > my
> > computer and then won't install SR-2 because I don't have SR-1 installed.
> > Nonetheless, I'm having the same problem with Word. What else? Should I
> > reinstall Office97? I can't figure out how to turn off my McAfee Virus
> > scanner too.
> > Thanks for your help!
> >
> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Right.
> >>
> >> In addition, hokiegamecuber might also try locating and deleting
> >> normal.dot.
> >> The template may be damaged.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >>
> >> "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
April 30, 2005 11:12:01 AM

Hi,

The source of your problem is likely the older version you are using. As far
as I know, Office 97 is the oldest version that will function properly in
WinXP.

--

> Rick & Gord,
>
> Ok. Here's what I've done: I first renamed the normal.dot file to
> normal.old-didn't work so I deleted the normal file-still didn't work.
> Uninstalled Office, which it turns out I have Office 4.3 and Word 6.0,
> then
> reinstalled it with my McAfee disabled. Still getting same problem. Read
> about a share.exe file which I have on system and it doesn't do anything I
> can see after clicking on it. What now?
>
> Your help is always appreciated!
>
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Have you tried deleting normal.dot yet?
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "hokiegamecuber" <hokiegamecuber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > Thanks. It won't let me install SR-1 saying it cannot detect Office 97
>> > on
>> > my
>> > computer and then won't install SR-2 because I don't have SR-1
>> > installed.
>> > Nonetheless, I'm having the same problem with Word. What else? Should
>> > reinstall Office97? I can't figure out how to turn off my McAfee Virus
>> > scanner too.
>> > Thanks for your help!

Anonymous
April 30, 2005 12:27:03 PM

Thanks. I realized I installed an older version and the one I had before my
reformat was Office97. But, why would the older Office all work except Word
6.0. Oh well, I'll try to find my Office 97 cd and reload it.
Thanks for all your help!

!