Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Benefit of 1333Mhz FSB? Q6600 -

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
April 20, 2007 2:51:59 PM

Was wondering - whats the real benefit of of getting a mobo that supports 1333. If I plan to put the Q6600 in it (1066Mhz), is the result that I would require more v-core voltage vs. upping the voltage on the mobo during an OC?

1)
Safe to say then, the higher the FSB on the mobo, the lower the temps will be when overclocking (vs. a mobo that supports 1033)?
2)
Or - does the GA-965P-DS3 rev 3.3 just natively come with higher voltages on the mobo to support the 1333, therefore running hotter.
3)
Obviously depending on price, does it make sense to wait for quad 1333's
4)
I read the GA-965P-DS3 rev 3.3 can go up to a 500Mhz FSB. Does this theoretically mean a FSB of 2000Mhz quad pumped? If this is the case, is the Q6600 the best fit then for this mobo? (assuming the 1333Mhz chips can get better overclocks)
April 20, 2007 2:55:51 PM

Quote:
Was wondering - whats the real benefit of of getting a mobo that supports 1333. If I plan to put the Q6600 in it (1066Mhz), is the result that I would require more v-core voltage vs. upping the voltage on the mobo during an OC?

1)
Safe to say then, the higher the FSB on the mobo, the lower the temps will be when overclocking (vs. a mobo that supports 1033)?
2)
Or - does the GA-965P-DS3 rev 3.3 just natively come with higher voltages on the mobo to support the 1333, therefore running hotter.


Wrong, higher the FSB, higher the temperature of northbridge.

Quote:

3)
Obviously depending on price, does it make sense to wait for quad 1333's


The performance gain is minimal actually, with slightly better results with DDR2-667 / DDR2-800.

Quote:

4)
I read the GA-965P-DS3 rev 3.3 can go up to a 500Mhz FSB. Does this theoretically mean a FSB of 2000Mhz quad pumped? If this is the case, is the Q6600 not the best fit then for this mobo? (assuming the 1333Mhz chips can get better overclocks)


Yes.
No actually, a higher FSB motherboard always helps overclocking, if designed well.
April 20, 2007 3:07:01 PM

Thanks. Do you know if there are any "holes" in the GA-965P-DS3 rev 3.3's FSB scale. The P5WDH Deluxe had a dark window between 370 and 399Mhz. That screwed me a lot.
April 20, 2007 3:10:39 PM

Where you said the higher the FSB, the higher the temps - are you saying that the DS3 is designed to handle these high temps vs mobos with 1033Mhz FSBs (ie. you can up the voltage to get your desired FSB, maybe 425Mhz, but that the mobo supports this even though it has high temps).

The P5W DH needed to be modded and the northbridge/southbridge heatsinks changed etc. Too much of a hassle. Do you not have to do it with this mobo?
!