Comcast HD/DVR

Last response: in Home Theatre
November 17, 2004 10:47:06 PM

two questions:

anyone know what box comcast uses in atlanta for the hd/dvr combo?

anyone have any luck with comcast waiving the stupid setup fee ($29.50),
since i just paid one a year ago when the genius came over and hooked up my
hd box?

More about : comcast dvr

Anonymous
November 18, 2004 2:19:19 AM

"oscargrouch" <leeYOURjackVIRGINITYmo@hotmail.com> wrote:

>two questions:
>
>anyone know what box comcast uses in atlanta for the hd/dvr combo?

Don't know about Atlanta. In MD it's the SA 8000HD.

>anyone have any luck with comcast waiving the stupid setup fee ($29.50),
>since i just paid one a year ago when the genius came over and hooked up my
>hd box?

I just went down to the Comcast office,returned my HD Box, and picked
up the DVR in a factory sealed box. Installed it myself. No problems.
No hassle.

Jim
Anonymous
November 18, 2004 2:32:47 AM

did you order the service and tell them you were going to do that first or
did you just show up there with your box?

<*jimanno@comcast.net*> wrote in message
news:p e8op05ssh98brr7br01nm9rfblu6fgt15@4ax.com...
> "oscargrouch" <leeYOURjackVIRGINITYmo@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >two questions:
> >
> >anyone know what box comcast uses in atlanta for the hd/dvr combo?
>
> Don't know about Atlanta. In MD it's the SA 8000HD.
> >
> >anyone have any luck with comcast waiving the stupid setup fee ($29.50),
> >since i just paid one a year ago when the genius came over and hooked up
my
> >hd box?
>
> I just went down to the Comcast office,returned my HD Box, and picked
> up the DVR in a factory sealed box. Installed it myself. No problems.
> No hassle.
>
> Jim

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
November 18, 2004 11:53:06 AM

can you do ota with that box?

<*jimanno@comcast.net*> wrote in message
news:p e8op05ssh98brr7br01nm9rfblu6fgt15@4ax.com...
> "oscargrouch" <leeYOURjackVIRGINITYmo@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >two questions:
> >
> >anyone know what box comcast uses in atlanta for the hd/dvr combo?
>
> Don't know about Atlanta. In MD it's the SA 8000HD.
> >
> >anyone have any luck with comcast waiving the stupid setup fee ($29.50),
> >since i just paid one a year ago when the genius came over and hooked up
my
> >hd box?
>
> I just went down to the Comcast office,returned my HD Box, and picked
> up the DVR in a factory sealed box. Installed it myself. No problems.
> No hassle.
>
> Jim

Anonymous
November 18, 2004 12:27:17 PM

OTA? from the cable guys?

no

"oscargrouch" <leeYOURjackVIRGINITYmo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> can you do ota with that box?
>

> <*jimanno@comcast.net*> wrote in message
> news:p e8op05ssh98brr7br01nm9rfblu6fgt15@4ax.com...
>> "oscargrouch" <leeYOURjackVIRGINITYmo@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >two questions:
>> >
>> >anyone know what box comcast uses in atlanta for the hd/dvr combo?
>>
>> Don't know about Atlanta. In MD it's the SA 8000HD.
>> >
>> >anyone have any luck with comcast waiving the stupid setup fee ($29.50),
>> >since i just paid one a year ago when the genius came over and hooked up
> my
>> >hd box?
>>
>> I just went down to the Comcast office,returned my HD Box, and picked
>> up the DVR in a factory sealed box. Installed it myself. No problems.
>> No hassle.
>>
>> Jim

November 18, 2004 12:45:02 PM

you wish... well, we all do really. Grand Rapids' (Kalamazoo) CBS
affiliant, WWMT, is run by complete morons and won't let the cable guys have
their signal. Fox isn't even on all the cable systems. The area I'm moving
to in two weeks has Charter service, and only ABC and NBC in HD. To pour
salt on the wounds, I'm only 7 miles from all the broadcast towers. I could
get a HD OTA signal with a coat hanger stuck in the back of the receiver (or
even a Terk, for that matter). ;)
"oscargrouch" <leeYOURjackVIRGINITYmo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> can you do ota with that box?
>

> <*jimanno@comcast.net*> wrote in message
> news:p e8op05ssh98brr7br01nm9rfblu6fgt15@4ax.com...
>> "oscargrouch" <leeYOURjackVIRGINITYmo@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >two questions:
>> >
>> >anyone know what box comcast uses in atlanta for the hd/dvr combo?
>>
>> Don't know about Atlanta. In MD it's the SA 8000HD.
>> >
>> >anyone have any luck with comcast waiving the stupid setup fee ($29.50),
>> >since i just paid one a year ago when the genius came over and hooked up
> my
>> >hd box?
>>
>> I just went down to the Comcast office,returned my HD Box, and picked
>> up the DVR in a factory sealed box. Installed it myself. No problems.
>> No hassle.
>>
>> Jim

Anonymous
November 18, 2004 1:54:20 PM

"oscargrouch" <leeYOURjackVIRGINITYmo@hotmail.com> wrote:

>did you order the service and tell them you were going to do that first or
>did you just show up there with your box?

I called Comcast first, and they told me to just go to the office.
They signed me up for the box and gave it to me on the spot.

Jim

><*jimanno@comcast.net*> wrote in message
>news:p e8op05ssh98brr7br01nm9rfblu6fgt15@4ax.com...
>> "oscargrouch" <leeYOURjackVIRGINITYmo@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >two questions:
>> >
>> >anyone know what box comcast uses in atlanta for the hd/dvr combo?
>>
>> Don't know about Atlanta. In MD it's the SA 8000HD.
>> >
>> >anyone have any luck with comcast waiving the stupid setup fee ($29.50),
>> >since i just paid one a year ago when the genius came over and hooked up
>my
>> >hd box?
>>
>> I just went down to the Comcast office,returned my HD Box, and picked
>> up the DVR in a factory sealed box. Installed it myself. No problems.
>> No hassle.
>>
>> Jim

Anonymous
November 18, 2004 1:54:50 PM

"oscargrouch" <leeYOURjackVIRGINITYmo@hotmail.com> wrote:

>can you do ota with that box?

No - cable only.

Jim

><*jimanno@comcast.net*> wrote in message
>news:p e8op05ssh98brr7br01nm9rfblu6fgt15@4ax.com...
>> "oscargrouch" <leeYOURjackVIRGINITYmo@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >two questions:
>> >
>> >anyone know what box comcast uses in atlanta for the hd/dvr combo?
>>
>> Don't know about Atlanta. In MD it's the SA 8000HD.
>> >
>> >anyone have any luck with comcast waiving the stupid setup fee ($29.50),
>> >since i just paid one a year ago when the genius came over and hooked up
>my
>> >hd box?
>>
>> I just went down to the Comcast office,returned my HD Box, and picked
>> up the DVR in a factory sealed box. Installed it myself. No problems.
>> No hassle.
>>
>> Jim

Anonymous
November 18, 2004 5:31:31 PM

On 17-Nov-2004, "oscargrouch" <leeYOURjackVIRGINITYmo@hotmail.com> wrote:

> anyone know what box comcast uses in atlanta for the hd/dvr combo?

The Motorola 6208. However, they are in the early stages of rolling out the
Motorola 6412, which is a dual tuner model. I called yesterday and was told
they were out (they only received a limited amount for a "test rollout").
Others in the AHDTV Yahoo group have already had theirs installed.

Go figure.

--
Chris

Munged email. To reply by email (each "word" a letter):
see jay bee are oh oh kay ee [AT] em ess en [DOT] see oh em
Anonymous
November 18, 2004 5:36:27 PM

On 18-Nov-2004, "oscargrouch" <leeYOURjackVIRGINITYmo@hotmail.com> wrote:

> can you do ota with that box?

Not with the Motorola. I doubt you can with the SA 8000HD, either.

Cable companies aren't good about letting in the competition. They like to
give you your local channels.

There is a Sony box (forget the number) that is an OTA, DVR, and also has a
QAM (cable) tuner. That would be the ultimate, but good luck getting the
cable company to register that box. You might get lucky and get all the
channels (essentially what you get with CableCard), but you won't have an
interactive guide, PPV, or VOD.

--
Chris

Munged email. To reply by email (each "word" a letter):
see jay bee are oh oh kay ee [AT] em ess en [DOT] see oh em
Anonymous
November 19, 2004 12:12:39 PM

if they liked to give me my local channels, they'd work something out with
cox and give me abc

"FlyByKnight" <FlyByKnight@example.invalid> wrote in message

> On 18-Nov-2004, "oscargrouch" <leeYOURjackVIRGINITYmo@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > can you do ota with that box?
>
> Not with the Motorola. I doubt you can with the SA 8000HD, either.
>
> Cable companies aren't good about letting in the competition. They like to
> give you your local channels.
>
> There is a Sony box (forget the number) that is an OTA, DVR, and also has
> QAM (cable) tuner. That would be the ultimate, but good luck getting the
> cable company to register that box. You might get lucky and get all the
> channels (essentially what you get with CableCard), but you won't have an
> interactive guide, PPV, or VOD.
>
> --
> Chris
>
> Munged email. To reply by email (each "word" a letter):
> see jay bee are oh oh kay ee [AT] em ess en [DOT] see oh em

Anonymous
November 19, 2004 12:14:06 PM

yeah, i saw on avs that people were having problems with that box...do you
know what they're charging for it? i probably should wait so i don't have
to pay ANOTHER 30 clams

> On 17-Nov-2004, "oscargrouch" <leeYOURjackVIRGINITYmo@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > anyone know what box comcast uses in atlanta for the hd/dvr combo?
>
> The Motorola 6208. However, they are in the early stages of rolling out
the
> Motorola 6412, which is a dual tuner model. I called yesterday and was
told
> they were out (they only received a limited amount for a "test rollout").
> Others in the AHDTV Yahoo group have already had theirs installed.
>
> Go figure.
>
> --
> Chris
>
> Munged email. To reply by email (each "word" a letter):
> see jay bee are oh oh kay ee [AT] em ess en [DOT] see oh em

Anonymous
November 21, 2004 6:09:13 PM

I just got Comcast (Chicago suburbs) to trade out the two tuner model for
the one tuner I'd gotten two months ago. No charge for the in-home swap and
no change in pricing.

!