Barcy's cache size question

cubicleslave

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
I don't post often, but I lurk a lot. There's one thing I've been wondering which hasn't been talked about (as far as I can tell). Intel's C2D Conroe contains 4MB of shared L2 cache, shared between 2 cores. But from what information I've been able to find, AMD's Barcelona will have a 2MB shared L3 cache, shared between 4 cores. This sounds rather small. Has anyone done any kind of comparative analysis of the effect of such a small cache, and it being L3 instead of L2? The closer to the CPU you can put fast memory, the better, so sharing at L3 instead of L2 is also bad, right?

RichPLS

Champion
Mostly it has to do with power consumtion thus heat generated not to mention die real estate... plus AMD just switched to a 65nm process which apparently is not as effecient as Intel's process.

benzene

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007
I also thought that AMD's use of an on die IMC meant that it was less reliant on cache and so didn't need as much. I could well be wrong mind, I'm sure someone will correct me if this is the case.

Eviltwin17

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
its not the size that counts, its how you use it lol

intel has always been on this more = better mindset

amd has always looked for different and better approaches than intel in the past

AMD is always looking for more efficient ways to solve problems, thus the core2duo was born because intel learned from this. Now all they have to do is get rid of that aging front side bus and theyll be golden

piesquared

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Mostly it has to do with power consumtion thus heat generated not to mention die real estate... plus AMD just switched to a 65nm process which apparently is not as effecient as Intel's process.

Incorrect. AMD's 65nm tech is superb.

Viperabyss

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006

Incorrect. AMD's 65nm tech is superb.
AMD's 65nm tech is no doubt superb. but comparing with Intel's 65nm, AMD's process technology is still inferior. there are tons of problems associate with AMD's 65nm technology.

for one all 65nm X2s have trouble booting when cooled below freezing temperature. I'll find the links later.

another is that, although arguably, AMD X2s have problem reaching above 3.0Ghz. X2 3600 Brisbane only has the maximum overclocking potential of 3.1Ghz. however you can also attribute that to architectural problem.

qcmadness

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
Is that why changing to 65nm from 90 there was a performance hit...

In fact a small redesign is needed.
Since K8 is based on 130nm process, for 65nm process, some small tweaks should be done. But AMD now focuses on NGA and other projects.