Sign in with
Your question

I forgot - what is DX10 supposed to do?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 20, 2007 4:02:15 PM

It's been so long since all the hype started, I've lost track of what DX10 is all about. It's been reported that even the Microsoft Aces team has put off DX10 upgrades for FSX and is concentrating on multi-core optimization for the first patch (reportedly due in June). Reading the articles on the nVidia midrange cards, it seems there was more information on the encoding side than on the actual graphics side. One report from ATI/AMD is saying that there is no real rush for release of the X2900 series since there aren't enough DX10 applications to make it worth a rush to production.

So, pardon my ignorance, but what the heck is the deal with DX10 and how is it supposed to improve our lives?

More about : forgot dx10 supposed

April 20, 2007 4:22:50 PM

geometry shaders and more complex pixle and vertex shaders form what ive gatherd
April 20, 2007 4:29:01 PM

When you play First Person Shooter games, it's supposed to make the blood and guts spill out more realistically and in all its lighting glory when you kill someone :roll:

DX10 is supposed to be more "realistic". That's it in one line.
Related resources
April 20, 2007 4:33:14 PM

I believe, if I'm not mistaken, that it's supposed to bring about the second coming of Christ. I could be wrong though.
April 20, 2007 6:59:54 PM

Quote:

how is it supposed to improve our lives?

You mean it isn't it a new feature from Microsoft designed to extract money from your wallet at 10x speeds. :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
April 20, 2007 7:30:34 PM

Quote:

how is it supposed to improve our lives?

You mean it isn't it a new feature from Microsoft designed to extract money from your wallet at 10x speeds. :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

That is the best answer so far, without a doubt.
April 20, 2007 7:32:14 PM

Is directx 10 released yet?
April 20, 2007 7:37:04 PM

Geometry Instancing
April 20, 2007 7:39:26 PM

wow people, DX10 released with windows vista

dx10 is a huge improvement over dx9

its more efficient
it makes better use of graphics cards than dx9
it allows for more "stuff" to be on screen at once
it has huge graphical potential compared to dx9

basically its just better, thats what dx10 is

and thank god its not like what dx9 was to dx8, can we say almost useless
April 20, 2007 7:43:05 PM

Think of it as a woman. It's going to cost you a lot of money.
April 20, 2007 7:44:21 PM

Quote:

Well not entirely accurate. At least DX10 probably won't leave and take your house and car.
April 20, 2007 7:46:58 PM

dx10 is so Microsoft can force us to buy vista

and better graphics
April 20, 2007 7:47:02 PM

Thats what its supposed to do
April 20, 2007 8:05:58 PM

Quote:

Thats what its supposed to do
Give Crytek the potential to render people uglier than they are in real life? :wink:
April 20, 2007 8:12:04 PM

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

I was under the impression that it turns you into a complete a-hole, makes you go out and buy 2 DX10 capable cards, then come back to the forumz and tell everyone how stupid they are, and how great it plays oblivion. :lol: 
April 20, 2007 8:31:51 PM

Quote:

I was under the impression that it turns you into a complete a-hole, makes you go out and buy 2 DX10 capable cards, then come back to the forumz and tell everyone how stupid they are, and how great it plays oblivion. :lol: 

If I had the capibility to buy two 8800GTX's, that's exactly what I'd do.
April 20, 2007 8:32:32 PM

Quote:

lol so true
April 20, 2007 8:48:12 PM

Quote:
Microsoft Aces team has put off DX10 upgrades for FSX and is concentrating on multi-core optimization for the first patch

The serivce pack for FSX is out end of this month or start of next and im pretty sure DX10 will be supported in the Q3 with the new expansion pack.

I think a mjor thing for Dx10 was the unified shaders.
April 20, 2007 9:06:40 PM

Quote:

Well not entirely accurate. At least DX10 probably won't leave and take your house and car.

No one has had a relationship with it long enough yet to prove that it won't.
April 20, 2007 9:20:39 PM

DirectX is just a programming interface, to allow the programmer access to the features and computational power of the graphics card.

It was at 8. They upgraded the interface to 9 when they had a new feature set.

They created 10 when they had another new feature set.

Now, the people that are driving this evolution are the smartest around, and are not only watching their bottom lines regarding profit, but are striving for ways to make the graphics on their product more 'realistic'.

Hence, DX10 is just the 'more real' successor to DX9.

Here realism can be roughly dictated in polygons, dynamic lighting vs ray-tracing, number of visible complex objects, animation of environment and objects, motion=blur, lens effects like depth-of-field and many more complex features that lie between where we are now, and true realism.

For a good example of the difference between gfx generations, have a look at the trailer for ps3 game LittleBigPlanet, which demostrates at least two kinds of motion blur, slight depth-of-field, deformable geometry, hi-def textures and many more techniques to produce that "Toy-Story" realism.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=17548&type=wm...

Within two years, you will have a DX10 card, and you will be playing DX10 games. On Vista (SP2 probably), and hopefully won't be causing similar flame wars over DX11 :wink:
April 20, 2007 9:21:14 PM

Quote:

How do you know this? Have you seen evidence? If so i'd like to see because at the moment I dont see how this statement can be justified
April 20, 2007 10:03:33 PM

Quote:

I've thought about getting a second 8800GTX for Oblivion with a larger monitor, but after seeing what it can do... :wink: :lol: 
April 20, 2007 10:05:16 PM

Quote:
How do you know this? Have you seen evidence? If so i'd like to see because at the moment I dont see how this statement can be justified

Because they took out of lot of the waste in the processing resulting in speed increases, and added new effects resulting in better-looking graphics.

I'm guessing you haven't watched a Crysis or Alan Wake DX10 video. I'm not going to post them here because it's easy enough to google it. These should easily justify the statement.
April 20, 2007 10:29:19 PM

Blah blah blah DX10 blah blah blah Unified shaders, blah blah blah Crysis will pants your computer, blah blah blah 8800GTX blah blah blah Geometry Shaders Blah blah blah Worthless.

Basically sums up that THG article with out you ever having to, god forbid, actually read it.

Takes this from a personal owner of an 8800GTX who finds himself playing more Xbox360 games(GOW,Rainbow6Vegas) then acutally DX10, or DX9 games.
April 20, 2007 10:42:44 PM

kaotao wrote:
Quote:
I was under the impression that it turns you into a complete a-hole, makes you go out and buy 2 DX10 capable cards, then come back to the forumz and tell everyone how stupid they are, and how great it plays oblivion.

Aye, I've run into a few of those DX10 a-holes too. It must be nice to have enough money to pay for TWO DX10 cards, in addition to everything else in life.
April 20, 2007 10:53:50 PM

Quote:

I've thought about getting a second 8800GTX for Oblivion with a larger monitor, but after seeing what it can do... :wink: :lol: 

:lol:  Yeah and it might make you have to change your sig a few times. :twisted:
April 20, 2007 11:25:38 PM

Quote:
Blah blah blah DX10 blah blah blah Unified shaders, blah blah blah Crysis will pants your computer, blah blah blah 8800GTX blah blah blah Geometry Shaders Blah blah blah Worthless.

Basically sums up that THG article with out you ever having to, god forbid, actually read it.

Takes this from a personal owner of an 8800GTX who finds himself playing more Xbox360 games(GOW,Rainbow6Vegas) then acutally DX10, or DX9 games.

But then that is basically what the Xbox360's GPU it is so the 360's GPU with unified shaders and based on a dx10 chip is worthless?
April 20, 2007 11:30:14 PM

Quote:
Graphically that was a huge leap, simply compare the DX8 and 9 paths in Half-Life 2 or what static lightning looks like (Morrowind) compared to DX9 shaders (Oblivion) and there's a whole world of differences. I, however, can't see the difference between dx7 and dx8, it's all the same extremely simple lighting effects.

We haven't seen DX10 in all its glory yet so how big of a step it represent is difficult to evaluate.
April 20, 2007 11:54:39 PM

Quote:

Because they took out of lot of the waste in the processing resulting in speed increases, and added new effects resulting in better-looking graphics.

I'm guessing you haven't watched a Crysis or Alan Wake DX10 video. I'm not going to post them here because it's easy enough to google it. These should easily justify the statement.

You are right it has been a while since I saw a crysis demo. Not sure if the last one i watched was dx9 or dx10. I know the originals before the 8800 were released were dx9.

"Since DirectX 10 cards didn't exist in May, the Crysis demo at the Electronic Entertainment Expo was actually running on DirectX 9 video cards, which is a good indication of what sorts of visuals you'll get with current hardware. "The E3 demo was all about DX 9 shader model 2.0--there was no more technology than this,"

I will check out some dx10 demo's when i can. dx9 side by side with dx10 would be nice. Im sure crysis will look mint on either anyway
April 20, 2007 11:56:22 PM

Also it is built fully in conjunction with Nvidia and ATI, its suppose to reduce hardware problems aswell. Also its ment to make programming of the games much easier and the dx10 is suppose to bypass all the overhead to do with the OS. I think anyway
April 21, 2007 12:39:22 AM

Quote:

its more efficient

so efficient, it makes games fly in windows vista.. SERIUSLY GUYS! *sarcasm* XD
April 21, 2007 12:41:01 PM

Quote:

its more efficient

so efficient, it makes games fly in windows vista.. SERIUSLY GUYS! *sarcasm* XD
so, what games use DX10? since you seem to know. SERIOUSLY note the spelling
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2007 2:03:39 PM

:lol: 
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2007 7:34:33 PM

Quote:
Geometry Instancing

Wrong.

Geometry instancing was supported by DX9, and support since the R350+ series cards. It was used to noticeable effect in FartCry.

You're confusing geometric instancing with geometry shaders which are an extension of the same principle, but with much much more potential being able to cut/paste directly from buffer to output.
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2007 7:47:00 PM

Quote:

Just to hammer this home, the difference between DX8.0 and DX8.1 was likely more noticeable than the difference between DX9 and DX10, let alone the differences between DX8.0 and 9.0

The major benefits of DX10 will be efficiency and the ability to replicate features of DX9 without the overhead and without alot of duplication.

The thing I'm most interested in seeing is the use of displacement mapping which has been around for a very long time, just never implemented since only Matrox had support in hardware, so like TurForm it never really found a foothold.
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2007 7:48:44 PM

If I'm an A-hole, does that mean I have to buy one to stay in the club, like a secret decoder ring?
April 23, 2007 3:06:03 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, it was a somewhat tongue in cheek question but had basis in the reality of what we're actually seeing (or not seeing) for results. I have the referenced THG article bookmarked and have tried to read it several times but most of it is over my head. What's striking about that article and discussion thread is that it was written in November and states that DX10 coding for programs is supposed to be simple. If so, where are all of these fantastic programs?

The highly technical aspects are certainly relevant but since I don't understand all of it, have got to revert back to the old argument about Macs and 8088 systems. The argument for the Macs was that my mother shouldn't need to know how to rebuild an automatic transmission in order to drive a car with one!

Just like everyone else, guess I'll have to wait until the software is actually out there so I can get my "secret decoder ring" and join the club :wink:
April 23, 2007 3:14:22 PM

Quote:
What's striking about that article and discussion thread is that it was written in November and states that DX10 coding for programs is supposed to be simple. If so, where are all of these fantastic programs?

I think developers have been waiting till DX10 has a larger user base as you need vista and until recently and expensive DX10 grahics card to gain any advantage.

Hopefully with the company of heros patch and the FSX DX10 patch later this year things should get moving.
!