Sharing a conection

kaver

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
Hi guys can some one help?

I need to share my DSL connection to another computer but here is what i need to do I have one of those Modem router's and i need to take a cable and connect it to a switch to share the connection with 2 computers but i dont have a switch I have another router a D-link DI-604.

the real question is: can I use the router i have as a switch to share my connection?

ho and how lol :D?

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Sure. I'm amsuming you need a switch because your DSL router / modem has only one LAN port?

Go into the D-Link config and turn off DHCP. Then, run a cat5e from one of the D-Link's 4 LAN ports to your DSL router/modem's LAN port. That leaves you the other 3 LAN ports on the D-Link for connecting your other computers.

An alternate would be to turn off the DHCP server in your DSL router/modem (making it into simply a modem), and connect the LAN port from the DSL device to the WAN port on the D-Link, keeping the D-Link functioning as a router. That would give you 4 LAN ports for connecting your computers.

kaver

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
Well it has 4 ports but I have 2 already on use and one of those 2 I need to share with 2 pc or I would end up having to buy a second 10 meter cable and since i have the second router i just want to use that instead 8)

Tks for the help i hade a general idea but i wanted to make sure im new to this network deal :D

another thing i was hoping i could do is one of my computers has dual lan can i use that to share the connection to my other computer?

it also has WII FII and i do have a wireless card on my other one maybe I can avoid using the router at all.... :?

I think am being to mind changing with this but I want to explore all my options :roll:

AMD 64bit X2 4600+
1GB Kit HyperX DDR2 800MHZ Dual Channel
Asus M2R32-MVP AMD 580X CrossFire Chipset+ATI™ SB600
WD 250GB SATAII 16MB buffer
X1900XT 512MB
Lite-On DVD-RW 16x
Sound Blaster Audigy 4 7.1
Logitech X-550 5.1 speaker system

Intel pentium D 2.8GB 800FSB
Asus P5WDH DELUXE Digital home
WD 250GB SATAII 16MB Buffer
2 ATI X1600XT Crossfired 256MB
Plextor DVD-RW 16x

Yes one X1900XT 512MB is better than 2 X1600XT Crossfired trust me on that one!!

Who ever said one computer is enough?

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
...another thing i was hoping i could do is one of my computers has dual lan can i use that to share the connection to my other computer?

it also has WII FII and i do have a wireless card on my other one maybe I can avoid using the router at all.... :?
Either of these will work. On the first, that would mean your computer with the dual LAN card would have to be running whenever the 2nd computer needed access to the internet - sometimes not the most convenient arrangement.

Wireless should work fine, assuming you don't have issues with interference / obstacles / distance, etc.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Also do not forget to turn off the firewall in the second router (which you'll be using as a switch) if you want file sharing