Sign in with
Your question

Need help reformatting HDD!?!??!

Last response: in Windows XP
December 30, 2006 7:43:28 PM

I installed mbm and ever since when I enter windows the monitor, keyboard and mouse dont work. I wanted to reformat but when I put in the windows XP CD it boots straight back into windows from the CD so I am left back where I started. I know this is a noob question but could someone plz tell me how Im supposed to reformat my hard drive so that I can reinstall windows normally. Could I use a ms-dos disk perhaps?? ALso, how would I do that ???

thanks for help

More about : reformatting hdd

December 30, 2006 7:57:54 PM

there is no reason to reformat and install windows.

instead uninstall and reinstall the drivers for your monitor, keyboard and mouse ;) 
December 31, 2006 1:52:16 AM

Keep tapping the F8 key when you first turn to get a menu on which you can enter Safe Mode. Hopefully you will have use of your peripherals there.

If you do, go to Control Panel - Add/Remove - and uninstall mbm (I'm assuming you mean motherboard monitor). Reboot normally, and let me know if you're all better.
Related resources
December 31, 2006 12:35:13 PM

Actually yeah your right I managed to boot on the cd on safe mode and I removed the motherboard monitor but the problem is still there. I dont mind reformatting HDD but could you tell me how from the windwos screen :oops: 

thanx
December 31, 2006 12:41:29 PM

you can't install your drives instead?
Anonymous
December 31, 2006 1:16:04 PM

Can't you just boot from the Windows XP CD and start the Windows installation program? You can reformat the hard drive from there.

Grumpy
January 1, 2007 12:32:17 PM

Actually I entered windows in safe mode then started the CD from there and it worked. It would enter straight into windows when I booted from the CD

thanks for all the help everyone!
January 2, 2007 8:09:42 PM

You have to change boot order in your BIOS set-up. CD-ROM should be set to boot before any hard drives in order to be able to boot from the Windows CD.
!