Toshiba 30" WS HDTV and Comcast HD box with clipped images

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
November 17, 2004 11:15:13 PM

I just bought a new Toshiba 30HF84 (wide screen with HD), and Comcast
just installed the HD box. When I select the HD input, and I am
tuned to an HD channel, it is cutting off the top and bottom of the
screen. For example, the scorebox on ESPN HD only showed one of the
team's scores. When I switch to the non-HD input, the full picture
appears. When I hit the "Pic Size" button to switch between screen
size views on the TV remote, it works fine when I am using the non-HD
input, but it doesn't do anything when I am using the HD input. The
words, "Not Available" show up on the screen.

I am really frustrated, any help is greatly appreciated. I am
calling Toshiba tomorrow (when their phone center opens), and if they
can't answer it, the TV is getting returned.
November 18, 2004 4:37:36 PM

Tom wrote:
> I just bought a new Toshiba 30HF84 (wide screen with HD), and Comcast
> just installed the HD box. When I select the HD input, and I am
> tuned to an HD channel, it is cutting off the top and bottom of the
> screen. For example, the scorebox on ESPN HD only showed one of the
> team's scores. When I switch to the non-HD input, the full picture
> appears. When I hit the "Pic Size" button to switch between screen
> size views on the TV remote, it works fine when I am using the non-HD
> input, but it doesn't do anything when I am using the HD input. The
> words, "Not Available" show up on the screen.
>

> I am really frustrated, any help is greatly appreciated. I am
> calling Toshiba tomorrow (when their phone center opens), and if they
> can't answer it, the TV is getting returned.

If its one of the motorola HD Cable boxes, you can set up the box for
either a 4:3 or 16:9 telivision. With the power on the cable box turned
off but the TV turned on, press the menu button on the front of the box.
this will bring up the cable box setup screen. you can set the TV size
here. you can also set the signal that is sent to the TV. My TV has a
1080i native display, So I set the box to that. I'm not sure about the
toshiba, but on my sony if I'm reciving a 720p/i or 1080i signal it will
set itself to full mode and wont let me change it. only if the signal is
480i/p can I change the screen size

HTH
Jason
Anonymous
November 18, 2004 6:16:06 PM

"Tom" <tomdudes@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I just bought a new Toshiba 30HF84 (wide screen with HD), and Comcast
> just installed the HD box. When I select the HD input, and I am
> tuned to an HD channel, it is cutting off the top and bottom of the
> screen. For example, the scorebox on ESPN HD only showed one of the
> team's scores. When I switch to the non-HD input, the full picture
> appears. When I hit the "Pic Size" button to switch between screen
> size views on the TV remote, it works fine when I am using the non-HD
> input, but it doesn't do anything when I am using the HD input. The
> words, "Not Available" show up on the screen.
>

> I am really frustrated, any help is greatly appreciated. I am
> calling Toshiba tomorrow (when their phone center opens), and if they
> can't answer it, the TV is getting returned.

All HD TV's will do the same thing. You are watching a picture generated
for a 480i screen/TV. It's then converted to HD. Since the 4:3 ratio is
different from 16:9 the picture overlaps the screen slightly.
Anonymous
November 18, 2004 6:47:06 PM

"Tom" <tomdudes@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I just bought a new Toshiba 30HF84 (wide screen with HD), and Comcast
> just installed the HD box. When I select the HD input, and I am
> tuned to an HD channel, it is cutting off the top and bottom of the
> screen. For example, the scorebox on ESPN HD only showed one of the
> team's scores. When I switch to the non-HD input, the full picture
> appears. When I hit the "Pic Size" button to switch between screen
> size views on the TV remote, it works fine when I am using the non-HD
> input, but it doesn't do anything when I am using the HD input. The
> words, "Not Available" show up on the screen.
>

> I am really frustrated, any help is greatly appreciated. I am
> calling Toshiba tomorrow (when their phone center opens), and if they
> can't answer it, the TV is getting returned.

What type of STB? If at all possible use the pass-thru function of the STB
and let the TV handle image sizing (sounds like the STB is taking the HD
signal and putting it in Zoom mode, on your Comcast remote usually the #
button or the button right of the number 0 control how the screen is sized)
November 19, 2004 8:28:01 AM

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 15:16:06 -0500, "Jeff Rigby"
<jeffg212@comcast.net> wrote:

>"Tom" <tomdudes@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I just bought a new Toshiba 30HF84 (wide screen with HD), and Comcast
>> just installed the HD box. When I select the HD input, and I am
>> tuned to an HD channel, it is cutting off the top and bottom of the
>> screen. For example, the scorebox on ESPN HD only showed one of the
>> team's scores. When I switch to the non-HD input, the full picture
>> appears. When I hit the "Pic Size" button to switch between screen
>> size views on the TV remote, it works fine when I am using the non-HD
>> input, but it doesn't do anything when I am using the HD input. The
>> words, "Not Available" show up on the screen.
>>

>> I am really frustrated, any help is greatly appreciated. I am
>> calling Toshiba tomorrow (when their phone center opens), and if they
>> can't answer it, the TV is getting returned.
>
>All HD TV's will do the same thing. You are watching a picture generated
>for a 480i screen/TV. It's then converted to HD. Since the 4:3 ratio is
>different from 16:9 the picture overlaps the screen slightly.

Doesn't it seem like they've just botched the whole HD standard thing?
All you need is the old system and one good new system.
Seems like they've managed to take Television and just destroy it.
Of course, with our FCC system we're over due.
Anonymous
November 19, 2004 9:45:19 PM

<_-_-_> wrote in message news:mrsrp09pobgehtu6c54l0a4oiker3gu5c7@4ax.com...
> Doesn't it seem like they've just botched the whole HD standard thing?
> All you need is the old system and one good new system.
> Seems like they've managed to take Television and just destroy it.
> Of course, with our FCC system we're over due.

Not really, once the broadcasters are sending out only HD, there will be no
problem. Until then, the early adopters like ourselves will have to deal
with the compromises that must be made (like fitting 4:3 content onto a 16"9
screen).

--Dan
November 19, 2004 9:45:20 PM

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 18:45:19 GMT, "dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote:

><_-_-_> wrote in message news:mrsrp09pobgehtu6c54l0a4oiker3gu5c7@4ax.com...
>> Doesn't it seem like they've just botched the whole HD standard thing?
>> All you need is the old system and one good new system.
>> Seems like they've managed to take Television and just destroy it.
>> Of course, with our FCC system we're over due.
>
>Not really, once the broadcasters are sending out only HD, there will be no
>problem. Until then, the early adopters like ourselves will have to deal
>with the compromises that must be made (like fitting 4:3 content onto a 16"9
>screen).
>
>--Dan

I wasn't aware there was any reason to believe all broadcasters will
be sending out only HD in our lifetimes. I expect lots of multicasting
instead.
November 19, 2004 11:02:36 PM

I figured it out. It was the setting on the cable box. I used the
cable box remote, hit the settings button, scrolled down, and found a
line called picture size. There were three options, "normal",
"stretch" and "zoom". Somehow, it was set to zoom. I know that I
have never accessed that function, so I don't know what triggered that
setting. Anyway, it now looks fine. Thanks for everybody's

The other thing I learned very quickly was that, even on the
HD-specific channels, not all of the programming is an actual HD
signal.

The only down side to this is that I find myself changing picture
sizes often, in order to match the best format to each show.
!