proof

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
While installing XP Pro x64 everything goes great until I get the the "Installing Components" screen and then it just flashes the status from Expanding Installed Files to Preparing to Install Files really, really, really fast. But the progress bar never even starts... WTF IS GOING ON!

carver_g

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
While installing XP Pro x64 everything goes great until I get the the "Installing Components" screen and then it just flashes the status from Expanding Installed Files to Preparing to Install Files really, really, really fast. But the progress bar never even starts... WTF IS GOING ON!

Are you using a copy that's had SP2 slipstreamed in? If not, I'd try that first.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Apparently just you. If you think Vista sucks (have you actually tried it?) and XP sucks, then I suggest Win2000, Linux, or else get a Mac.

And in case you were wondering, yes you do sound spoiled when you make posts such as these....... :roll:

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
LOL, nice one.

Proof, perhaps you need to take a breath before you post here........? You sound like a huffy teenager that just got pwned in BF2 or whatever, come here in a tiff, complaining that something didn't go your way.

Sorry, I don't mean to offend, but I'm am confounded by your posts. Not every little thing is a big deal.....sometimes a pain in the butt is simply a pain in the butt. Some things in life are meant to be endured, not changed or solved. ;)

If it doesn't always go your way.......well, welcome to the club! You're now just one of us commonfolk. Take a stroll down here, you might find it refreshing and enlightening actually......

8)

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
I personally own both XP Pro x64 and Windows Media Center 2005, and the 64-bit XP is simply loaded with compatibility issues, which significantly outweigh the performance advantages.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Is it an upgrade version? Are you actually upgrading with an older version installed or from a clean HD? Did you boot from the CD?

I used the upgrade version of XP Pro 32 on a new HD, but as I recall, there is a certain way you have to do that, like executing a WinNT.exe file in a certain directory on the CD. Using the right one allows it to copy a lot of your files to the HD, instead of expecting a previous installation to be there.

My memory is very fuzzy on this, because I did it over 2 years ago. So, answer my first questions and I will look into it if need be.

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
I personally own both XP Pro x64 and Windows Media Center 2005, and the 64-bit XP is simply loaded with compatibility issues, which significantly outweigh the performance advantages.

Thats what I heard, and thats why I chose XP Media Center Edition for my OS.

I also heard some games don't play well with it, so that was a big reason on my part.

senor_bob

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Well, my brand new retail disk had a bigass scratch on it...
I went out and bought XP a year or so ago and my retail disk also was scratched and wouldn't install - kept getting CRC errors during the copying files phase(I tried 3 different CD/DVD drives). Finally I used my laptop to burn a copy of the CD which worked fine to copy and then the copy installed fine?!? Thanks a lot M$.

By the way, I put Vista on a new computer I built for my younger sister. I thought it sucked at first but once I got used to it and found where to turn the 'prompt me for permission every time someone in China sneezes' option off, it's actually a nice OS. But it's your comp, use whatever you want.

proof

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
Yeah, I have Vista Ultimate 32 on my Gateway and I like it for daily useage, but XP is where its at for gaming! I finally got it installed (same exact way as you) and I will get the updates tomorrow and install Some benching programs. Gotta run Orthos overnight now to make sure its all good.

Skyguy: I can not believe you mentioned that! That was EXACTLY what happened. I was being a huffy teenager who just got pwned in BF2! Now, I do not normally get pwned in BF2 just so no one gets the wrong idea... :lol:

sailer

Splendid

Tell me about the compatibility issues with XP64. I bought it mainly because it had an upgrade to Vista and it was cheaper to do that than to buy Vista outright. The XP64 barely worked for a week, then crashed out. I've tried to reformat the hard disc and I keep getting the message that some files are being used and so it refuses to format. I even tried plugging it in as a second hard drive to a XP computer and reformatting, but I get the same message. Bah, humbug

human_error

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
Well people may claim there are issues with games in vista but with my catalyst 7.4 drivers my games are one or two fps better than in xp and loading times are shorther than in xp - i don't have xp on my machine any more or i would benchmark it and compare the results as evidence, but i can see that games using the latest vista drivers are working as good as or better than on xp.

I can't speak for nvidia's drivers, but i'd like to know where all the rumours for vista sucking in games has come from.

Oh, and if the disk was scratched take it back to the ratailer and ask for a new disk, may as well have a good copy of an original disk if you ever need to reformat.

proof

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
Yeah, I just burned a copy and its all good. I ran Orthos in priority 10 this morning and my temps never got above 44C. This is on stock frequencies but it will be overclocked tonight. Gonna play me some BF2!!!

P.S. CoolerMaster Gemini and Noctua NH-U12F FTW!!!

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Proof, you are confounding, infuriating, and hilarious all at the same time.

I'm not sure whether that's a compliment or not, but it's a fact. I'm still trying to figure out from whence you came......

LMAO.