Recovering data from Outlook Express

Pata

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2001
I was helping a friend with Outlook express. She was tired of deleting all of her [Bulk] mail, so I went and made the rule for her, so that all bulk would end up in the deleted folder, and then she could take it from there. I showed her how, and proceeded to delete all of her messages in the deleted items folder. Then she asked about all of her other messages that she kept in the deleted items folder. I said they were gone and asked her why she didn't put the messages she wanted to keep in another folder. She said she couldn't be bothered. Well now I have to recover all of her deleted items and put them into another folder! I found the deleted items (Deleted Items.dbx) (125,213KB) and put them onto a CD, but for the life of me I can't get them back into OE. What can I do at this point? Help please!

Pata

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2001
Outlook Express just doesn't recognizes the .dbx file and wont put them back into the deleted items folder. At first, windows doesn't recognizes the .dbx file as a file of any kind and asks if you want to surf the net for a program. I changed the file to be recognized by OE, but I still can't get it to work. I have tried to Google the problem, but all I get is sites that will sell you a program for $50 to $80. Outrageous!

Pata

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2001
Thank You! It works for the most part. I believe that I recovered at least 90% of the data. I did it with a little trial and error.
You think I might learn a lesson here? Backup, backup, backup.

No.

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
lol I gave up long time ago, got my self a sata external drive and now every few days I just clone my os drive.
cheesy2.gif
cheesy2.gif
cheesy2.gif