Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Microsoft gives Lipservice to HollyWood on their Knees

Last response: in Windows Vista
January 1, 2007 3:21:47 PM

All versions of Vista have a pernicious code called DRM, or digital rights management built in. Please read this: http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36570 This is the longest 'Suicide note in history'. DRM means that everyone is labeled a criminal by default. Even if you try to use watch Blu ray or HD DVDs, the content is down sampled, something equivalent to regular DVD. Why bother? The CPU clock cycles are hamstrung by the DRM code. Hence, this is why Vista will operate slower than Windows XP. This will not sit well with gamers, who need high performance. Even if you play by their rules. Microsoft is letting the Hollywood studios dictate how Windows is designed! The result is Vista. IT professionals have stated that Medical professionals will be unable to adopt Vista Because of the DRM down sampling the image quality. People's lives depend upon this. Yo! Microsoft, get off of your knees! Tell the Hollywood studios to go to HELL! Redesign Windows to be FREE again. This is like the tail wagging the DOG. They need you, you do not need them or their copyrights. They can keep their copyrights on their damned disks. Please DON'T ruin Windows...too late, VISTA is here January the 30th. Vote with your dollars folks. Looks like we have another Windows ME here.
January 22, 2007 8:38:57 PM

Everyone needs to get off the Vista hype and realize that Vista may put an end to the PC. I think your right that Vista is the next ME. Vote with your pocket book...
January 22, 2007 8:57:13 PM

Quote:
All versions of Vista have a pernicious code called DRM, or digital rights management built in. Please read this: http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36570 This is the longest 'Suicide note in history'. DRM means that everyone is labeled a criminal by default. Even if you try to use watch Blu ray or HD DVDs, the content is down sampled, something equivalent to regular DVD. Why bother? The CPU clock cycles are hamstrung by the DRM code. Hence, this is why Vista will operate slower than Windows XP. This will not sit well with gamers, who need high performance. Even if you play by their rules. Microsoft is letting the Hollywood studios dictate how Windows is designed! The result is Vista. IT professionals have stated that Medical professionals will be unable to adopt Vista Because of the DRM down sampling the image quality. People's lives depend upon this. Yo! Microsoft, get off of your knees! Tell the Hollywood studios to go to HELL! Redesign Windows to be FREE again. This is like the tail wagging the DOG. They need you, you do not need them or their copyrights. They can keep their copyrights on their damned disks. Please DON'T ruin Windows...too late, VISTA is here January the 30th. Vote with your dollars folks. Looks like we have another Windows ME here.

Nothing pisses me off more than uneducated fuckwits like you two who've probably never even touched Vista yet have read some stupid scaremongering article on the net and now hate it with a passion. In 6 months time you'll both have Vista installed on your PC's and you'll both love it so stfu.

Quoting the inquirer as "proof" just makes you look like an idiot.
Related resources
January 22, 2007 9:43:31 PM

Quote:
Nothing pisses me off more than uneducated ****** like you two who've probably never even touched Vista yet have read some stupid scaremongering article on the net and now hate it with a passion. In 6 months time you'll both have Vista installed on your PC's and you'll both love it so stfu.

You're wrong maxi. Starwhite has been beta-testing Vista for months and has been using the RTM release for a while now.
January 22, 2007 9:44:53 PM

Quote:
Nothing pisses me off more than uneducated ****** like you two who've probably never even touched Vista yet have read some stupid scaremongering article on the net and now hate it with a passion. In 6 months time you'll both have Vista installed on your PC's and you'll both love it so stfu.

You're wrong maxi. He's been beta-testing Vista for months and has been using the RTM release for a while now.

If he's really been using Vista for so long why is he such a clueless retard then? Answer that.
January 22, 2007 9:48:48 PM

I don't think he's a clueless retard.
January 22, 2007 10:04:29 PM

Quote:

Well you'd be wrong. I don't get why he's bitching about Vista using up CPU time. Every OS has progressively become more CPU/RAM hungry. Why? Because they offer more and more functionality. Why the big whinge about HDMI and DRM? HDCP compliant monitors are out there now and will get cheaper and cheaper and cheaper. Because I have a brain I'm not getting myself an LCD monitor before HDMI inputs become a bit more commonplace and the monitors become cheaper and if I do get an LCD anytime soon I'll just get myself a decent HDTV with HDMI inputs. Why? Because I research and I try to see what's going on in the future so I don't waste my money on something that's not going to fulfill my needs for the forseeable future. If you've got money to burn then it's great to have the latest and greatest and then upgrade it when the need arises. But if you don't have lots of money like a lot of us here then PLEASE research FFS. I've known for a long time about the whole DRM thing and held off on a few purchases because of it. I don't really see the big issue with downsampling.

So who's an uneducated moronic retard now? Not me because in a year my PC and my TV will be fully equipped to deal with the DRM "infection".

The funny thing is I'm ready 3 years too early because there are credible rumours about which state that HDCP isn't going to get nasty and downsample you till about 2010.

So do you still love him and think he's the beacon of all that signifies intelligence? :roll:
January 22, 2007 10:18:27 PM

Quote:
So do you still love him and think he's the beacon of all that signifies intelligence? :roll:

No, I don't love him because I don't know him. However, having read some of his posts I know about his Vista experience, and I can also tell from his posts that he's not a "retard." That's all.
January 22, 2007 11:14:01 PM

Apparently you’re ok with what MS has done with Vista.

Edit:
Quote:

...Because I research and I try to see what's going on in the future so I don't waste my money on something that's not going to fulfill my needs for the forseeable future. If you've got money to burn then it's great to have the latest and greatest and then upgrade it when the need arises. But if you don't have lots of money like a lot of us here then PLEASE research FFS. I've known for a long time about the whole DRM thing and held off on a few purchases because of it. I don't really see the big issue with downsampling.

It's always easier to follow the flow then to stand up to what is right. Any educated person would concluded what MS is doing is not good for the user.
January 23, 2007 6:49:26 AM

Quote:
Apparently you’re ok with what MS has done with Vista.

Edit:

...Because I research and I try to see what's going on in the future so I don't waste my money on something that's not going to fulfill my needs for the forseeable future. If you've got money to burn then it's great to have the latest and greatest and then upgrade it when the need arises. But if you don't have lots of money like a lot of us here then PLEASE research FFS. I've known for a long time about the whole DRM thing and held off on a few purchases because of it. I don't really see the big issue with downsampling.

It's always easier to follow the flow then to stand up to what is right. Any educated person would concluded what MS is doing is not good for the user.

Bah! No one's forcing anyone to buy HD movies on Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. No one's forcing it down your throat and you've got ample warning. Let me tell you why this is happening. Because M$ doesn't want to leave itself open to being sued. These days ISP's can have legal action brought against themselves for merely providing an internet connection for someone who is pirating movies or music. So if the movie studios make a request of Microsoft and Microsoft says no and people start pirating movies while using an M$ OS then Microsoft is liable in the eyes of the court. Comprende?

If you dislike DRM so much then just don't participate! Don't buy a HD-DVD or Blu-Ray drive, Don't buy a graphics card with HDMI ports and don't buy HD movies that have DRM. It's your choice.

If it's a choice of not watching HD content on my PC or being able to. I'm glad MS have given me the opportunity to watch HD content :) 

It's easy for an uneducated person to see the angle that you're seeing.

MS ≠ DRM. Movie studios = DRM.

If you're going to vote with your cash then just don't buy HD movies. Vista is about a lot more than forcing you to buy a HDCP compliant graphics card and monitor. If you think the sole purpose of Vista is to do with DRM them you people really are more stupid than I first thought.
January 23, 2007 9:05:36 AM

Well, the way it is going a MS PC will be required to watch premium content.
January 23, 2007 12:34:29 PM

Quote:
Well, the way it is going a MS PC will be required to watch premium content.

Doesn't mean it's MS's fault
January 23, 2007 7:14:24 PM

Not much I can do to stop this train of lost freedom... I'm very disappointed that I will not move over to Vista anytime soon and only if the need arises. Can't help the ugly dirty feeling I have about Vista. If I feel this way there must be others that feel the same.... just not right.
January 23, 2007 8:20:44 PM

BTW on the vote with your wallet line, thought that it may be worth mentioning that MS has now pre-sold so many copies of Vista that they have asked their major customers to suspend any more pre-orders until after the 30th.

I don't know if they just did not produce enough media or are concerned about support.

See Amazon as an example: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Windows-Vista-Home-Premium/dp/B000KCIA3W/sr=1-18/qid=1169590800/ref=sr_1_18/026-2423703-9511619?ie=UTF8&s=software

"At Microsoft's request we have temporarily stopped taking pre-orders for this product. We will resume taking pre-orders soon. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Discover Windows Vista & Office 2007 in our resource centre."
January 23, 2007 8:24:28 PM

Quote:
Not much I can do to stop this train of lost freedom... I'm very disappointed that I will not move over to Vista anytime soon and only if the need arises. Can't help the ugly dirty feeling I have about Vista. If I feel this way there must be others that feel the same.... just not right.

My god. What a crock of sheet! Do certain types of mice and keyboards give you an ugly dirty feeling?

You either move to an OS or you don't. If you want want to upgrade to Vista then don't. Go and buy a Mac and be happy with gay looking hardware and the fact that the sun shines out of the Apple's butthole. I for one don't really care if a company pretends to be nice and friendly like Apple seem to. Apple are just as criminal as Microsoft in the way they get money out of people. But Microsoft don't market themselves the same way Apple do.

The long and short of the story is that to get the most out of your hardware in the next couple of years you're going to have to buy Vista if you like it or not.
January 24, 2007 12:15:46 AM

Quote:

The long and short of the story is that to get the most out of your hardware in the next couple of years you're going to have to buy Vista if you like it or not.

Can't argue with that, but that is the whole point
January 24, 2007 2:44:54 AM

I think Vista is a great Operating system. It is only the 64 bit version of the OS that has DRM built in. The 32 bit does not. This is why with 64 bit all the drivers must be digitally signed by Microsoft, or the driver install will fail. Microsoft was unable to get DRM to work with the 32 bit, so they left it out. MS claims that Vista 32 bit cannot playback any HD DVD or Blu Ray format. However, I have heard tell many people still download HD movies off the net, and play them back with programs like Power DVD 6.5 HD edition through Vista 32 bit. 64 Bit Vista will definitely cause problems for gamers. This code requires the OS to use more CPU cycles, thus causing EXTREME slow down. Forget about that so called high performance you expect from your CPUs and Video cards. The DRM software eats up CPU clock cycles while trying to check and see if you’re screwing Hollywood by trying to rip their content. In other words it is assumed that everyone is a thief. You have already been judged.
Microsoft claims it is not possible to disable the digital driver signing in Vista 64 bit within the OS, like we currently can with XP.

However, I have heard of a workaround. I did Alpha and Beta test this product since the beginning. So I'll share this insider knowledge.

In Vista x64, any driver that is not properly signed will not be able to enter the kernel and will fail to load."

"Think how many times you have ignored that warning that a certain hardware driver is not properly signed. With vista x64, if your driver has not be blessed by Microsoft, it will not work. Forget about it."

Like so many others, you are confusing a "signed driver" with a driver that has a "WHQL certificate". While WHQL certified drivers are signed by Microsoft and thus will install perfectly fine, your driver does NOT need this in Windows Vista x64!
Your driver does NOT need to "be blessed by Microsoft", at least not their hardware quality labs.
You can also just get VeriSign "Class 3 Commercial Software Publisher Certificate" and get a matching "Publisher Identify Certificate" from Microsoft. The VeriSign certificate will 'only' cost you 500$ ... a year...
So yes, unsigned drivers will not install and no open source developer will be able to afford the money for the certificate, but you don't really need Microsoft's blessing, an expensive VeriSign certificate will do fine ...

You can disable it...

By None on 12.01.2007 - 22:01
http://www.tech-recipes.com/microsoft_vista_tips1429.ht...

Likely this option will be removed before the final version of vista ships!

Turn off Digital Driver Signing Check in Vista:

1. Create a shortcut on the desktop to cmd.exe
(this recipe explains how to create a shortcut if you don't know how)

2. Right-click on the shortcut and select Run as administrator

3. When the command window opens, type or paste the following and press ENTER:

Bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks ON

4. Reboot and then try installing the driver.
January 24, 2007 10:14:43 AM

Your post is the most informative and useful I have read on this subject.

Thank you,
January 24, 2007 1:54:34 PM

starwhite

I agree with you except there is DRM in the 32 bit version. Just try and play a HD movie in Cyberlink Power DVD HD. I copied a bit for bit copy to my hard disc from a friend that has a home HD-DVD player to test my system.

I have all the so called right hardware and I get a black screen on my Dell 2407. According to NVIDIA, and Cyberlink it is supposed to work but it will not play anything over 780p with a certified NVIDIA graphics and Dell HDCP panel.
http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_pvhd_build.html

It plays all the extras but not the main movie as it is 1920x1080.Playing 780p pegs the cpu in Vista but WinXP it only runs at around 25%. I can play HD movies in WinXP.

When you install the 32 bit version they use MS DRM just like the music service to create 4 digital Id's for your computer. Once you have authorized and it says genuine, it calls MS once a week to make sure that you are still authorized and have not changed the hardware according to the new EULA.
http://wendy.seltzer.org/blog/archives/2006/10/19/forbi...

I do know they have not implemented the drivers in the 32 bit like the 64 bit version but there is plenty of DRM in VISTA.

As you probably know, Creative cannot get their drivers to work yet with Vista and it is because of DRM. AEC causes my system to BSOD if I have it enabled, Tilt Bits anyone. My video cam will not work properly without AEC enabled!

For the record I have a friend that is a programmer and they pay MS $50,000 for their WHQL certificates.
January 24, 2007 5:35:27 PM

Wow, I do not what to say with this DRM stuff; I hate it that's for sure. May take years of a tug-of-war with the hardware and software companies and consumers to get all this at a level that is acceptable. Pay $50K for certificate is total out of line... monopoly comes to mind. If more users would use an alternative OS then we wouldn’t be in this mess IMO. I downloaded SuSe last night and will install this weekend. I hoping that Linux will help me wean off M$ for good. Time will tell and I’m willing to try.

http://en.opensuse.org/Welcome_to_openSUSE.org
January 25, 2007 12:16:35 AM

Quote:
BTW on the vote with your wallet line, thought that it may be worth mentioning that MS has now pre-sold so many copies of Vista that they have asked their major customers to suspend any more pre-orders until after the 30th.

I don't know if they just did not produce enough media or are concerned about support.

See Amazon as an example: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Windows-Vista-Home-Premium/dp/B000KCIA3W/sr=1-18/qid=1169590800/ref=sr_1_18/026-2423703-9511619?ie=UTF8&s=software

"At Microsoft's request we have temporarily stopped taking pre-orders for this product. We will resume taking pre-orders soon. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
Discover Windows Vista & Office 2007 in our resource centre."

The above post just proves how many morons there are out there..
Furthermore I just read somewher in the last few days that Universal studios is doing away with DRM,it's a totally different licensing strategem.
And furthermore THAT microthief has an sp1 in the works for their new os??[read GUI] already ???
Sorry I can't provide any links ...:) 
Windoze is not an operating system,it's an infection that rides on top of DOS...
January 25, 2007 12:03:43 PM

I assure you DRM is not in Vista 32 bit. Do the research. Blu Ray DVD and HD DVD are not meaunt for playback with 32 bit period. I myself 'obtained' some of the HD movies, and I can play them back with power DVD Ver. 6.5. Of course, the problem might be your video card. Its not easy to say.
January 25, 2007 3:45:11 PM

starwhite

Quote:
I assure you DRM is not in Vista 32 bit.

I have done the research and Vista 32 bit running DRM big time.

Here is the proof:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/stream/output_prot...
http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/8/f/98f3fe47-d...
http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/b/9/5b97017b-e...
http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/8/f/98f3fe47-d...

Dave Marsh (Program Manager, Windows Media Technologies) has publically stated that DRM is being used in Vista over at the Windows Vista website under a MS employees blog:
http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/...

My Video card definitely is one of the problems with my playback because the NVIDIA driver turns on HDCP protection in my Graphics card. I will have to put one of my old video cards in to confirm this.
January 25, 2007 3:51:19 PM

"My Video card definitely is one of the problems with my playback because the NVIDIA driver turns on HDCP protection in my Graphics card."

OK, so HDCP is at your cabling level, so why is this an MS DRM issue? It would appear to be the NVIDIA hardware connector interface instead, right?
January 26, 2007 2:20:28 AM

I read every single one of the links you provided-none of them differentiate between 32 bit Vista and 64 bit. Trust me, only 64 bit Vista has DRM. Blu Ray and HD DVD content is not intended or designed to be played back in 32 bit Vista. Dude you don't know what you're talking about.
January 27, 2007 6:10:00 PM

You would think that but what happens in Cyberlink Ultra edition, is that the NVIDIA driver turns off my brand new Dell 2407 that is supposed to be HDCP compliant. It goes black and the sound it turned off too.

I went over to the Dell Forum and people that have purchased the monitors are furious. Apparently. MS modified the HDCP standards before release of the Gold Edition of Vista 6000 rendering our displays useless for Playing HD content.

Even people that have other brands with HDMI and owners of HD TV's are having problems.

It is not Dell's fault for trying to make the monitors compliant but since something has changed in the OS, our monitors are useless for watching HD movies via Software Players at this point in time.

Quote:
Starwhite
I read every single one of the links you provided-none of them differentiate between 32 bit Vista and 64 bit. Trust me, only 64 bit Vista has DRM.

That would be news to the world if true. I do not want to get into a pissing contest but it is astounding that you can make a statement like that contrary to everything that is published about the new OS including by MS.

I have it installed and there is so much DRM in the OS it is unbelievable. I think you are hung up on driver certification while ignoring all the DRM that is used to plug the analog hole.

The moment you click YES on the EULA, patented MS DRM technology goes to work to validate your install.

Look in C:\Windows\System32\licensing

What do you call all the encrypted licenses that reside there?

What do you call one of the first lines of code that phones home to validate your installation:
http://www.microsoft.com/DRM/XrML2/TM/v2 ( I deleted the last part to keep my ID confidential.)

You can put your head into the sand and believe what you wanna believe.
February 16, 2007 3:27:15 PM

Apologies for the old bump, but felt the need to respond to this. DRM -is- in the 32bit version. I know this for a fact, seeing as my HD-DVD drive (using the external X360 one) downsamples movies when played on a non-HDCP monitor.

As for overall playback performance, this is currently a driver issue with nVidia (the current driver sets do not have hardware accelerated video decoding in them, so it's unloading the processing onto the CPU instead of the GPU). As soon as they sort out some decent drivers, playback performance should easily equal XP.
!