Will Vista play well w/ XP Pro?

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Intend to load Vista Business and want to make sure it'll play well with the companys network. XP home needs some workarounds with XP Pro in the network server and I had considerable problems with IE 7 and had to get rid of it to make my notebook work with the server at work.

Wondering if I'll have the same problems with either my home network or with the comapnies remote server. My notebook is running is running XP Home.

If you have a company, it might better to either go with Vista Enterprise edition which is sold by volume and will prevent any incompatibilities between workstations. Or you could just stick convert entirely to XP Pro, and get a volume licence.

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
That isn't exactly my situation. I live on the west coast and the main office is on the east coast. We use MS exchange server for remote server access and email. I'm running XP Pro on my desktop so communication right now isn't a problem. Hardware and software on my end is my choice (and at my expense).

I travel to the east coast several times a year and end up connecting directly to the server with my laptop (XP home). This last time, there was a problem getting the server to recognize my system so the IT guy had to do some sort of workaround - not sure what he did but it had something to do with me having XP home on the laptop.

Since I was planning on eventually going to Vista on my desktop, thereare 2 situations that I'm concerned about:

1) Will Vista cause communication problems with my home network with XP home (laptop)?
2) Will Vista cause communication problems between my Vista desktop and the companies XP (2003?) based server?

Sorry I wasn't clear in the beginning.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
The problem you are having with XP Home is that your office is probably using Domains. XP Pro supports Domains, while the Home edition has to have a workaround applied since Home doesn't include Domain support.

The same is true for Vista. The Business and Ultimate editions support Domains, while the Home versions do not.

Upgrading to Vista won't affect your home network - and shouldn't affect your business server connection, but I would check with your IT department before you upgrade.

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
The problem you are having with XP Home is that your office is probably using Domains. XP Pro supports Domains, while the Home edition has to have a workaround applied since Home doesn't include Domain support.

The same is true for Vista. The Business and Ultimate editions support Domains, while the Home versions do not.

Thanks - that's what I was loking for.

That brings up something else. Vista will supposedly NOT allow drivers that aren't signed. What about security security certificates? Is that anywhere near the same thing or can I just click "proceed" as I do now? And yes, I will check with the "IT Department" first (LOL - it's just one guy- he used to not only have hair but it had color before he was given that job).