HP Mobile Printing & Bluetooth ( BPP )

a b α HP
July 15, 2005 6:07:54 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

Does the HP Mobile Printing Application has the support for Bluetooth
Basic Printing Profile?

Some webpages says the application supports BPP also. But i could't
find how the BPP can be used in this application for printing?

Can anyone help me?

regards,
Reghunath
Anonymous
a b α HP
July 15, 2005 1:14:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

Not sure about the profile reference, but BT printing using HP Mobile
printing thing is just like the other options. You start by defining a
printer. You start with a choice of BT, IR or network.If you select BT, you
next get a choice of searching for a nearby BT printer or just adding one.
If you elect to add, you get a list of supported printers, that presumably
are BT capable. Not having one myself, makes it difficult to tell what
happens next. I would expect you wind up with a BT printer in your list of
available printers, that can be selected when you go to print something.

--
Sven
MVP - Mobile Devices
"Reghunath" <reghu_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Does the HP Mobile Printing Application has the support for Bluetooth
> Basic Printing Profile?
>
> Some webpages says the application supports BPP also. But i could't
> find how the BPP can be used in this application for printing?
>
> Can anyone help me?
>
> regards,
> Reghunath

Anonymous
a b α HP
July 20, 2005 6:01:31 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

Thank You Sven, for the reply.

Yes, the steps required to add a BT Printer is exactly as you said.
When the Printing Application discovers (Device Inquiry) my Printer
too. Up to this step everything is fine.

But when selecting my device, the application performs a Service Search
(SDP Query - ServiceSearch Request). I sniffed the Bluetooth Protocol
Packets over the air. It was found that, the application requests with
UUID 0x1101 (SPP).

Another thing i noted is, the application requires Drivers for specific
Printers, if it has to be added in to it. But BPP (Basic Printing
Profile) is designed for Driver-less Printing . All these things force
me to think that, the Mobile Printing Application does not support
Basic Printing Profile.

It is still a wonder, why people say that the Device supports BPP. I am
not sure where i am mistaken.

regards
Reghunath
a b α HP
July 20, 2005 9:32:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

You are apparently much deeper into this than I. I would think though that
the printer would have to support this Basic Printing Profile as well then
too. I understood that the BT was just a media over which to pass the usual
printer data. In that case you would certainly need printer specific drivers
as each printer has it's own set of commands and data structure.

--
> Thank You Sven, for the reply.
>
> Yes, the steps required to add a BT Printer is exactly as you said.
> When the Printing Application discovers (Device Inquiry) my Printer
> too. Up to this step everything is fine.
>
> But when selecting my device, the application performs a Service Search
> (SDP Query - ServiceSearch Request). I sniffed the Bluetooth Protocol
> Packets over the air. It was found that, the application requests with
> UUID 0x1101 (SPP).
>
> Another thing i noted is, the application requires Drivers for specific
> Printers, if it has to be added in to it. But BPP (Basic Printing
> Profile) is designed for Driver-less Printing . All these things force
> me to think that, the Mobile Printing Application does not support
> Basic Printing Profile.
>
> It is still a wonder, why people say that the Device supports BPP. I am
> not sure where i am mistaken.
>
> regards
> Reghunath

Anonymous
a b α HP
July 21, 2005 12:05:42 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

There is more than one version of the HP Mobile Printing Application. Also
the built in version on some iPAQs is different than the down loadable one.
And which version you use will make a difference. Perhaps you have read a
reference to one, different than the one you are attempting to use? As far
as I know, (and that is limited) the HP Mobile Printing Application needs a
Bluetooth serial port for the Printer and a driver. That means the number of
printers supported is very limited.

--
David Hettel
Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices

This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
You assume all risks for your use.

"Reghunath" <reghu_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Does the HP Mobile Printing Application has the support for Bluetooth
> Basic Printing Profile?
>
> Some webpages says the application supports BPP also. But i could't
> find how the BPP can be used in this application for printing?
>
> Can anyone help me?
>
> regards,
> Reghunath

Anonymous
a b α HP
July 21, 2005 4:56:53 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

If there exists two versions, that may be the problem.

I am looking for the one, which supports Basic Printing Profile. Do you
have any idea of such a Printng Application with BPP, which can be
downloaded?

--
Reghunath

!