roamdog

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2004
I would like to create a few web sites and find a hosting service. While I am not quite the pointy-haired manager in the Dilbert strip, it has been quite a few years since I have been hands-on and written any code (and definitely have never done any HTML, XML, or web-based work).

So, I am looking for a site that is a primer on what to look for (and watch out for) from web hosting services (with perhaps some stats on reliability/longevity, etc.). I know that there a quite a few free hsoting services out there but the concept of "something for nothing" makes me a bit nervous and I am unsure how to evaluate/compare various hosting services. If the free services really are a viable alternative that is great; however, if not, I am not even opposed to paying a bit (but cost would have to be minimal as my sites are not really commercial ventures). I registered 4 domains a while back (seemed like a good idea at the time but I never got around to creating the content). So, I am looking for a service that will allow me to host several domains.
1. One of the domains is fairly static text with a bunch of pictures that will change more than the text but not every week.
2. One of the domains will require some forms to be filled in by the user and the data stored. The forms would have some fields that are pull downs based on either an internal table lookup or a search of an external site. But most of the fields would just be fill-in the blank with some rudimentary edits. Subsequently, the data would be used to perform some calculations and display results on the site. (I do realize that I may even have to hire somebody to handle some of this database stuff if I cannot figure it out myself).
3. One of the domains will have text that changes weekly (and maybe a picture or two).
4. The fourth site will have some text and some pictures but be fairly static all the way around.

I do not want to start a religious war about free vs. non-free providers but would welcome your personal recommendations (as well as pointers to more basic "how-to-get-started" info). I also do not want to start a religious war about my-provider-is-the-best-and-yours-is-terrible but would again welcome your personal recommendations (and why you would recommend a certain provider). I do realize that different providers and different plans will meet different customers needs better than others. So, for anybody that can provide a recommendation, I have tried to provide some info about my needs above and would also share that all 4 domains will be low-traffic sites. The picture and database sites will have more storage needs than the others but we are still talking small gigabytes rather than terrabytes (again, this is not really a commercial venture).
All of the sites will benefit from the availability of easily created/maintained/deleted email accounts. Perhaps 100 email accounts per site (maybe 200 for the database site).

Also, I run Windows and know nothing about Linux (again really really really not trying to start/continue that religious war, but just want to find the solution that will work best for me).

Thank you for your asssitance.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Most any free hosting service would be fine for your static pages. They do have drawbacks such as a lot of ads and pop-ups. Plus, I haven't run across a free hosting service that has a decent ftp upload (needed if you develop your pages offline using programs such as Frontpage), nor have I come across a free service that handles advanced features such as PHP or Pearl. As a disclaimer, however, I've only tried a couple of the free services - others may know of ones that do offer the above.

My advice to you is to go with a service such as Yahoo for now (http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting/compare.php#close). They offer all kinds of start-up and development kits and templates. Once you get your feet wet and know what you want, and how to do it - then start shopping around to see if anyone is cheaper.

As far as learning to develop HTML, go here:
http://www.htmlgoodies.com/
Definately the best source on the web. Covers everything from New to HTML straight through to advanced topics such as PHP, CSS and XML.

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
nothing for nothing but he can either pay yahoo 8$ a month for 5GB of space and 200GB of transfer.

or

he can pay 6.95$ a month for 1000GB of space and 1000GB of transfer.

now I don't personally recommend globat at all but that is the normal cost of webhosting and yahoo is just the worst place for hosting. for one thing they have all kinds of limitation of what you can do.

as for as building a site the links provided by psc are great you can also checkout dreamweaver which is an app for building websites for dummies its so easy, check it out and you will see ;)

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
with yahoo you don't get full control of your site either, with other places they allow you to do a lot more with your site. pllus its not that its pricy for the same thing, the difference in space is just crazy alone.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Sorry, I wasn't very clear on my advice here. I do not recommend Yahoo as any kind of permanent host. It is more money than it's worth in the long run. I was merely suggesting Yahoo as an initial start-up host - It's templates and design software are easy to use, and you could get a site going within a few minutes - once you have your site running, and know what features you need, then move on to a cheaper hosting service. I only recommend Yahoo, as it is "newbie friendly" - I would not recommend it as a permanent host.

If you're going to be using offline development software (such as Dreamweaver - suggested by edklite above) - then, by all means, go with a cheaper service.

To find a hosting service, try here:
http://www.findmyhosting.com/
(Note: I haven't personally used this site, so I don't know truly how "unbiased" it is.)

roamdog

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2004
Ah. Now I understand. Thank you for the clarification.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear on my advice here. I do not recommend Yahoo as any kind of permanent host. It is more money than it's worth in the long run. I was merely suggesting Yahoo as an initial start-up host - It's templates and design software are easy to use, and you could get a site going within a few minutes - once you have your site running, and know what features you need, then move on to a cheaper hosting service. I only recommend Yahoo, as it is "newbie friendly" - I would not recommend it as a permanent host.

If you're going to be using offline development software (such as Dreamweaver - suggested by edklite above) - then, by all means, go with a cheaper service.

To find a hosting service, try here:
http://www.findmyhosting.com/
(Note: I haven't personally used this site, so I don't know truly how "unbiased" it is.)