What's the difference between Enermax Galaxy and Galaxy DXX?

timehopper

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
Like the title says, what is the difference between these PSUs other than the fact that DXX has 3 6pin PCI-E & 2 8 pin PCI-E connectors and the regular Galaxy has 4 6pin PCI-E?

timehopper

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
So that is the only difference? Also, another question, will it work well in case where a PSU is mounted on the bottom, like Silverstone TJ09 for example?

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
Yeah, I think it would. Just the fact that I would get a little interested on the 120mm outtake fan on the harddrive bays. Looks like the wires would be in a tough cramp. If you still want the 8-pin PCI-E connectors, then look into the Silverstone Strider 1000w. It too also offers the 8-pin PCI-E connectors.

timehopper

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
Well, I think that a 1000w would be overkill in my case, i'm getting an fx-62 CPU, Gigabyte nforce 590 board, 2 HD, 2 optical drives, 8800GTS (Will probably add another later), zalman 9500, floppy and card reader, x-fi soundcard, speakers, 5 fans and case lights. I was (and still am) considering Silverstone Zeus 850W, but i'm intrigued by the Galaxy DXX 850W because it's quiter, modular and has 2 8pin PCI-E, which makes it futureproof. I just read a review of the 1000w version of this PSU at HarOCP and it says that it is a good unit to have for bottom-mounted PSUs because it has long wires, is this what you were talking about when you said that the wires would be a tough cramp?

randomizer

Champion
That's actually a big diffrence. The DXX is complient with the ne PSI-e 2.0 standard offering the new 8 pin PCI-e power connector. This will be the conector used by all new video card.
Wont most new PCIe 2.0 cards have an adapter for it anyway? I dont want to wait until its standard with most current psus b4 I buy one.

timehopper

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
That's actually a big diffrence. The DXX is complient with the ne PSI-e 2.0 standard offering the new 8 pin PCI-e power connector. This will be the conector used by all new video card.
Wont most new PCIe 2.0 cards have an adapter for it anyway? I dont want to wait until its standard with most current psus b4 I buy one.

Good point, i'm curious about that myself.

timehopper

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
Thanx for the info! Nevertheless, i'm leaning towards the Galaxy because it is supposed to be quiter than Silverstone and it's modular. This PSU is 8.7 inches long, hopefully it will it into the Temjin case which is almost 24" long.

Zisme

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
i have the galaxy PSU and the silverstone Tj109 and it fits perfectly on the bottom.no issues with the cables.and the big fan sucks all the air out adding an extra fan to the five you already get with the case.I love i can pull the mopbo out the back twaek what I need and then slide it right back in.also love the HD bay. I put a blue led fan in and it highlights the HD;s perfectly..great case and great PSU. and I am running 2 8800 in sli....

timehopper

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
i have the galaxy PSU and the silverstone Tj109 and it fits perfectly on the bottom.no issues with the cables.and the big fan sucks all the air out adding an extra fan to the five you already get with the case.I love i can pull the mopbo out the back twaek what I need and then slide it right back in.also love the HD bay. I put a blue led fan in and it highlights the HD;s perfectly..great case and great PSU. and I am running 2 8800 in sli....

Wow, thats great, looks like i'm planning a similar setup to yours. I appreate your help, thanks!

nicolasb

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
Wont most new PCIe 2.0 cards have an adapter for it anyway?
Yes and no. The problem is that you need two six-pin connectors plus an adaptor to make one 8-pin connector. That means that if you want to run R600 Crossfire and overclock then you will either need two 8-pin and two 6-pin connectors, or six 6-pin connectors (plus adaptors). (Or, I suppose, one 8-pin and four 6-pin). Many otherwise-high-end PSUs have only four 6-pin PCIe connectors.

An additional complication is that many PSUs which do come with 8-pin connectors actually have the wrong plug, because the PCI-SIG changed the specification at the last minute. (So you may need adaptors even if the PSU does have 8-pin plugs).