hdmi

Last response: in Home Theatre
November 18, 2004 9:10:19 PM

Any thoughts on the value of hdmi interface? Is it better than component
video and separate audio cabling? Do you get superior sound and video to
warrant its use? Knowing nothing about it I fear that I've been sold on
separate cables with some girth to them (ie Monster cable or equivalent).
The hdmi cable seems flimsy and unable to transfer. Please note that I am
coming from a completely ignorant position on this new cabling.

thanks

More about : hdmi

Anonymous
November 19, 2004 4:00:24 AM

You can send the video to your tv as either an analog or digital signal.
Here are the most common analog connections in order of increasing quality:
composite, S-video, component. Alternatively you can send the signal as
digital: DVI or HDMI. The DVI cable consists only of digital video data.
The HDMI cable can transfer both digital video and audio over the one cable.

Both DVI and HDMI are better than component since they keep the signal in
pristine digital format. Of course most people probably can't tell the
difference between DVI and component since they are both such high quality.

I think the most cost effective way to buy cabling is to get a DVI or HDMI
cable online somewhere. I just bought one for about $30 and it will provide
perfect (digital) video transfer to my tv. If you buy it from Best Buy it
will cost you $100. Rip off!

Brad

"edee em" <emarano@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
news:p X9nd.9992$hp3.1320365@read2.cgocable.net...
> Any thoughts on the value of hdmi interface? Is it better than component
> video and separate audio cabling? Do you get superior sound and video to
> warrant its use? Knowing nothing about it I fear that I've been sold on
> separate cables with some girth to them (ie Monster cable or equivalent).
> The hdmi cable seems flimsy and unable to transfer. Please note that I am
> coming from a completely ignorant position on this new cabling.
>
> thanks

Anonymous
November 19, 2004 8:49:29 AM

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 18:10:19 -0500, "edee em" <emarano@cogeco.ca>
wrote:

>Any thoughts on the value of hdmi interface? Is it better than component
>video and separate audio cabling? Do you get superior sound and video to
>warrant its use? Knowing nothing about it I fear that I've been sold on
>separate cables with some girth to them (ie Monster cable or equivalent).
>The hdmi cable seems flimsy and unable to transfer. Please note that I am
>coming from a completely ignorant position on this new cabling.
>
>thanks

Not sure but I'd suspect any all digital input will have a political
correctness approval function in the future ;)
November 20, 2004 7:12:00 PM

On 18-Nov-2004, "Brad Griffis" <bradgriffis@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I think the most cost effective way to buy cabling is to get a DVI or HDMI
> cable online somewhere. I just bought one for about $30 and it will
> provide perfect (digital) video transfer to my tv. If you buy it from
> Best Buy it
> will cost you $100. Rip off!

I searched on line for two days (I'm retired) and shopped most of the stoes
around here. Nearly all the stores including Best Buy, Circuit City, Radio
Shack, etc. have only a $99 Monster DVI or an even more expensive HDMI
--except Wal-Mart. They have a Philips DVI cable for $27.46 which I bought
yesterday and there is no shipping cost.. As far as I can tell it works as
well as the component cabling I was using and it frees me to use the
component connection for my DVD player.

--
John in Sun Prairie
!