Sign in with
Your question

Wireless via mobo?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
March 31, 2007 6:11:25 AM

I didn't know where to post this but I Thought this should be a good place.

I just purchased a nintendo DS and planning to get a wireless router soon. But I remember my mobo has a wireless device and I began to wonder. I pulled up the info on my mobo from asus...It's a bit old though...a Asus p5ad2 Premium...they discontinued the board but I was able to pull up the info regarding it's wireless network....

First off I have no experience with wireless....Through my 12 years of experience with computers I've always dealt with wired solutions. The Wireless Lan specifications states

54 Mbps IEEE 802.11g and backwards compatible with 11 Mbps 802.11b
- Access Point function (under WinXP, 2003)
- Bundle an external antenna
- One-touch wizard
Select Area
- Wireless bridge, a.k.a. WDS or wireless repeater (under WinXP, 2003)

The hardware that connects to the mobo via back connector is this weird hershey kiss looking device...

It also states

WiFi-g onboard (optional)
Wireless setup made affordable and easy!
WEP? SSID? Building a home WLAN used to be a hassle with
confusing acronyms and cryptic menus. With WiFi-g™and its one-touch
setup wizard, high-speed wireless network is just a few clicks away.
WiFi-g™serves as the access point of your network or if you already
have an access point, it is also a wireless adapter for PCs to access
existing WLAN.
(WiFi-g™compliant to IEEE 802.11g 54 Mbps data transfer)

....Now am I just dreaming..Or can I set up this sucker to run my nintendo DS without the need of a wireless router?...once again I have no experience with wireless..But from reading the info kinda sounds like you can...Although I don't know wireless terminology like I do from my other computing skills.

Looking forward to your response and to get my game on...(wow..that sounded cheesy..lol)

More about : wireless mobo

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 2, 2007 11:31:24 AM

You would have to enable ICS for the wireless connection and change the wireless adapter to Ad-Hoc mode and it might work.

Grumpy
April 4, 2007 8:15:05 AM

I'll set the sucker up tomorow and give it a go. Hopefully I can get it to work. I'll have to disable it though when I'm not using my DS so people around me can't steal my line ^.^
!