Your question

oh snap, did the c2d kill Amd?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
April 21, 2007 1:39:20 AM

Amd has lost eleventy billions?

More about : snap c2d kill amd

April 21, 2007 1:43:05 AM

Vote for AMD because if AMD goes away intel cpus will cost............

there, now the fanboys don't have to post that.
April 21, 2007 1:43:43 AM

This cat killed AMD:

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 21, 2007 2:11:28 AM

Quote:
...they will return this summer and pull back ahead of Intel garbage!

Eh? In what respect? Market share or performance?

Cats FTL!
:evil:  :evil:  :evil: 
April 21, 2007 2:31:35 AM

Good grief... enough of this useless posting.
April 21, 2007 3:08:20 AM

Hey, a 10GHz Netburst would be a 5GHz Conroe. As long as the TDP is under 100 watt it Sounds good to me.
April 21, 2007 3:18:03 AM

Quote:
This cat killed AMD:

I just hope that cat didn't have kittens in there.
April 21, 2007 3:34:27 AM

AMD is not dead. What makes you think it is?
April 21, 2007 3:40:29 AM

Oh noes... dont get me wrong, i hope AMD bounce back and kick Intel in the balls, even though im a little fanboy.

I just dont see amd BEATING Intel in the next 3-5 years.

Market share... i can confidently say amd will NEVER beat intel in my lifetime, and if they do, no1 will remember me saying it :p  :p 
a b à CPUs
April 21, 2007 3:59:22 AM

Quote:
This cat killed AMD:

Sorry
April 21, 2007 4:04:04 AM

inter will surely continue to lead as long as silicon wafers are used to make devices.
AMD will be forced into being a botique brand based on their inability to manage their money and any real ability to generate production capacity.
Their product I'm sure will be a sound one though, hell AMD is glighted intel talent.
a b à CPUs
April 21, 2007 4:05:36 AM

Maybe if you posted this in Q1 2006, we would have cared.
April 21, 2007 5:49:25 AM

April 21, 2007 6:31:17 AM

nice smiley!
April 21, 2007 6:33:22 AM

Who knows what god has instore for AMD?

A punishment i presume...
April 21, 2007 6:33:46 AM

Quote:
AMD will never go away, they will return this summer and pull back ahead of Intel garbage!

Hahah. You wish. At this rate AMD will be out of cash in six months. :lol: 

They can save a bit of cash by firing the entire management team now and hiring someone with half a brain to take over.
April 21, 2007 6:45:29 AM

Just so everyone knows, meltie is the biggest Inteliot troll to ever visit THG.
We love him. He can be sooo funny.
April 21, 2007 7:28:50 AM

ALRIGHT ALREADY: STOP WITH THE "AMD IS DEAD" S**T!!!!

For crying out loud, I've glanced at some of these threads and am shocked at some people's attitudes. If anything, we should be worried that AMD's flailing... As mentioned before, simple economics entails that if AMD goes, so do CPU prices - and that means UP!!!!
April 21, 2007 7:47:06 AM

Why? AMD is old news. Finished. AMD fanboys, especially ones that use stupid AMD logos as their Avatars, and Sharikou too. I'll happily pay a few more dollars for a CPU so that I don't need to put up with AMD and their annoying fanboys anymore.

I hope that AMD is found guilty in the cases againt SGI , MicroUnity and Opti Inc and has to pay them a fortune. That will accelerate AMD's BK.
a b à CPUs
April 21, 2007 8:17:40 AM

With that avatar, I'd be careful what you say about AMD.
April 21, 2007 9:28:30 AM

I like AMD.
I do regret, that there isn't some kind of sport event for CPU or CPU company, so we can all go, take some beer and shout at each other for, like one-two hours and then go home and sleep it off.

I'll take 50:50 market AMD/INTEL as OK!
No more, no less
April 21, 2007 9:40:24 AM

Quote:
Apparently you're oblivious to all the AMD news the last few weeks.
April 21, 2007 10:29:16 AM

Posting consistent Net Losses on the bottom line would be a good indicator.

AMD is walking a fine line right now and has to be very very careful. If they experience even minor delays or further problems with their 65nm processes they will tank. Yes someone will buy them out and AMD will continue, but the chances of AMD pulling anything out of the hat to beat the 45nm Penryn products from Intel this year or next are pretty slim...as in IBM would have to pull the biggest rabbit out of it's ass EVER for AMD (since thats the source of AMD's R&D).

I also take exception to anyone who classifies Intel products as "Garbage". That kind of wording pretty much kills your credibility as a Technologist.
April 21, 2007 10:36:27 AM

Quote:
No to mention we'll go back to Netburst 10GHz crap....

agreed

Quote:
Good grief... enough of this useless posting.

also agreed
a b à CPUs
April 21, 2007 11:17:30 AM

For once a noob that has a real point. None of this fanboy garbage.
April 21, 2007 1:45:15 PM

Quote:
Apparently you're oblivious to all the AMD news the last few weeks.Wounded, yes even bleeding is not the same as dead.
AMD has dropped their prices to maintain a competitive position. Losing money on the way, they still have over 1 billion dollars in cash. Whether AMD will bleed to death over time is speculation. I do not know their cost structure well enough to say if these new prices cover variable manufacturing costs. For the short term, cash is key. Retrenchment takes time. Even bankruptcy is a possibility. Declaring AMD dead is truly premature though.
April 21, 2007 2:30:03 PM

Quote:
Apparently you're oblivious to all the AMD news the last few weeks.Wounded, yes even bleeding is not the same as dead.
AMD has dropped their prices to maintain a competitive position. Losing money on the way, they still have over 1 billion dollars in cash. Whether AMD will bleed to death over time is speculation. I do not know their cost structure well enough to say if these new prices cover variable manufacturing costs. For the short term, cash is key. Retrenchment takes time. Even bankruptcy is a possibility. Declaring AMD dead is truly premature though.Ok...true enough, but it doesn't look too promising. :?
April 21, 2007 3:05:48 PM

I personally don't like AMD, but I hope for the sake of my wallet that it doesn't go away

I actually would like to see a 3rd competitor in this race, hey one can always dream....
April 21, 2007 3:17:14 PM

Have you guys forgot about the ATI merger. The R600 is posed to take the crown from NVIDIA's flagship 8800. Once that happens, they will get there money back. AMD has always lived up the the perfect storms

Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 1.66 Ghz
2 GB Dual Channel DDR2 @ 667mHZ
NVIDIA Geforce Go 7400 @ 450/333
April 21, 2007 3:18:11 PM

Quote:
I personally don't like AMD, but I hope for the sake of my wallet that it doesn't go away

Ditto. I haven't used an AMD CPU since the 29000, but the last thing we need is a world where Intel has no competition.
April 21, 2007 3:54:00 PM

Quote:
Have you guys forgot about the ATI merger. The R600 is posed to take the crown from NVIDIA's flagship 8800. Once that happens, they will get there money back. AMD has always lived up the the perfect storms

Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 1.66 Ghz
2 GB Dual Channel DDR2 @ 667mHZ
NVIDIA Geforce Go 7400 @ 450/333
Name them. :roll:
April 21, 2007 3:54:19 PM

Governments the world over would never allow Intel to have a complete monopoly over the CPU market.
April 21, 2007 4:47:46 PM

What would these "governments the world over" do? Subsidize AMD?
Unless Intel tried to buy AMD, or was found guilty of unfair pricing practices, AMD would just go away and leave Intel the only significant player.
I don't see either unfair pricing or a buyout happening.
April 21, 2007 5:02:59 PM

AMD would get crushed under the wheels of the C2D in the current price battle and go bankrupt.
Intel would be found guilty of business malpractice and would be split in four quarters and disintegrate immediately after that.
We'll all have a choice of VIA or IBM processors. :D 
April 21, 2007 6:37:45 PM

April 21, 2007 7:00:28 PM

Quote:
Amd has lost eleventy billions?

id say a combination of factors, mainly THE CAPACITY OF INTEL....
intel can put as many cores as they want ( IE, pushing quadcores at ludicrously low leels) at a speed AMD cant compete o_O
April 21, 2007 7:32:25 PM

Quote:
AMD will never go away, they will return this summer and pull back ahead of Intel garbage!

Hahah. You wish. At this rate AMD will be out of cash in six months. :lol: 

They can save a bit of cash by firing the entire management team now and hiring someone with half a brain to take over.

Hmmm do you know anything about cash flow? Did you listen to the earnings release call?

AMD has the cash, but they will likely raise some more because once they hit around 600M in cash they get a bit uncomfortable.

Cash flow is an issue, but there are ways to remedy it.

==heruur

ATI notoriously doesn't produce significant net income because of the lower margins. Also, the R600 won't be out until the 2nd 1/2 of May. Don't expect the R600 to save AMD in any way, it will provide a cash flow source, but it won't save AMD's losses.

--newf

government would likely subsidize AMD (which I think it already does) and guarantee their debt. If AMD goes under (which it won't) it would leave Intel with a monopoly in the consumer level CPU business and that isn't good.

If anything they will likely file chapter 11 bankruptcy (which I doubt they will have to file for at all) for protection and debt relief while they restructure.

--General reply

God people stop with this AMD is dead bullshit. You guys are so short sighted. I'm tired of these techy's playing market analysts.
Anonymous
April 21, 2007 8:26:23 PM

Just want to say. Have you ever AMD fan boys saw Intel fan boys shouting we are better. Answer is no. if your product is better people will come and buy it no need to say anything. In last two year I agree AMD was better then Intel. Since C2D launch they blew AMD out of the water and I bet Intel is not going to give the performance crown back to AMD any time soon. BUT we need AMD to drive Intel to come out with better product. I know this post is gone make AMD fan boys mad and they will shout a lot. But guess what Intel fan boy on this side. I don't need to speak at all forget about shouting.
April 21, 2007 9:05:56 PM

Despite my avatar (which just identifies the system I'm running - yes, it's lame), I'm not an AMD fanboy. I do agree with your point of view. I'm in an AP Econ class right now and I think that AMD influenced Intel to create a better product, which benefits us all with lower prices and better performance.

But hey, maybe if Intel gains so much market share from AMD, they might get lazy a few years from now and competition might increase right!
April 21, 2007 9:28:02 PM

Ah AP Econ... back when life was simple :wink:
Anonymous
April 21, 2007 9:57:50 PM

as i said man. We need AMD Without AMD INTEL will be a big boy in the market. IT"S AMD that forced INTEL to come out with C2D. I don't know exactly how much market share intel has but i won't like intel to get more then 70%
April 21, 2007 10:05:59 PM

Yes AMD is still needed in the playing field to put a pressure on Intel so that they dont go and put prices so high on their current processors. At least until computers become dirt cheap.
April 21, 2007 10:52:47 PM

Roffle at the stupid amount of one-star posts in this thread.

I am only buying Cyrix from now on. :lol: 
a b à CPUs
April 22, 2007 3:07:42 AM

Viva la VIA!!
April 22, 2007 3:38:02 AM

Bring back Motorola 68000s!
a b à CPUs
April 22, 2007 3:39:09 AM

Anything but Intel!
April 22, 2007 3:43:38 AM

AMD only has about six months of cash left.

They will need to raise double what they need, since Morgan Stanley get half.
April 22, 2007 3:46:11 AM

Your math would be accurate if they had no revenue at all during the next 6 months. I think they will do better than that...
a b à CPUs
April 22, 2007 3:53:02 AM

I'll be hacking Intels bank account(s) and "restructuring" their finances. :twisted:
!