SP2 will not complete installation

denster

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2005
After installing Windows XP Pro with SP1, when I try to update to SP2 the installer keeps crashing at the 'Performing Cleanup" stage. I even downloaded the SP2 version for multi-installs on another comp, saved it to disc, and tried to install it that way, and still the same results.

After a hard reset, Windows replies with an error message, indicating "SP2 did not complete successfully. System is in an unstable state. Please remove SP2 in 'add and remove programs'... blah blah blah"

I am running everything at stock speed and I did a complete reformat at the beginnning of the Windows XP PRO installation.

The trouble I am having is on the AMD system listed below.

As a side note: The same install, with updates installed successfully on the Intel Pentium D system below, without a hitch.

All installs were performed at stock settings. (Not at overclock as shown below)

There is nothing I know of indicating any hardware problems.

Has anyone ever experienced this same problem? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

I cannot find any help in Microsoft support or online.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Try slipstreaming the SP2 "download" (about 290mb or so) into your XP Pro cd. Plenty of info on how to do this at this forum - or Google it (plenty of hits). Print out a couple of versions & go for it.

Need:
cd burner
Burning app - preferably Nero (it's easy)
plenty of room on your hd
high quality cd-r discs:
The made-in-Japan only versions of Taiyo Yuden; Fuji; or Maxell.
Any Verbatim; TDK.

denster

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2005
Try slipstreaming the SP2 "download" (about 290mb or so) into your XP Pro cd. Plenty of info on how to do this at this forum - or Google it (plenty of hits). Print out a couple of versions & go for it.

Need:
cd burner
Burning app - preferably Nero (it's easy)
plenty of room on your hd
high quality cd-r discs:
The made-in-Japan only versions of Taiyo Yuden; Fuji; or Maxell.
Any Verbatim; TDK.

Never heard of "slipstreaming". But when I get a chance, I will check it out. Funniest thing, but last night, after about the 5th try and 8 hours later, after another failure and hard restart, I was searching microsoft and did find a critical update. I installed it, restarted and then I simply tried to install SP2 again, without uninstalling it first, 'Go Figure', and it completed!

It could have been something to do with my BIOS, which I did suspect, but my system is up to date. Never had this problem with 'Home Edition', only started with XP Pro, and my AMD. Had thought about setting the affinity to one core, although that should not have been a issue, I don't think) Not sure what actually solved it, the 'critical update', the 'over install', or both, but it is working now just fine. :) Now I can get to other medial tasks which I have been longing to do, like take out the garbage, kick the neighbors cat, etc, etc..... :tongue:

Will look up 'slipstreaming' for future reference, thanks again!

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
It's an excellent idea to have the O/S on a cd with SP2 already a part of it.

You never know when you'll need it to bail you out of trouble.

BTW, none of MS's updates have anything to do with your BIOS. They are all operating system changes.