lennydude

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
Hi there........

Need some help..............Ever since building this PC I have had issues with it. I keep getting similar messages below. Memory dumps?

I have a ASUS P5W Deluxe MB with 2GB Corsair memory, Conroe E6600, no overclocking, 250GB Seagate SATA III drive, MSI X1900XT 512MB video card, and a 550W ASUS power supply.

I have done the 24 hour memtest with perfect results. I have tried a new video card with no difference. Most of the time when this "dump" happens, it screws up my XP installation, slows the computer down bad, and many times I am forced to re-install XP and/or repair the MBR using the recovery console.

I am about to condem the hard drive....................have to try something.............. :(:(

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks for any help................

Lenny

PCWoes.jpg

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
These errors are almost always device driver problems.

BTW, you have an impressive mobo, cpu, and video card, but the power supply is nowhere near the quality of those three. You've spent a small fortune on them, you should get a better psu. Plenty of info in this forum.
Make sure you always ground yourself to the power supply (temporarily turn its switch off while working inside, but plugged in.)

Try these ideas:
Set the jumper on the hd for 1.5 operation

Disable Raid in the BIOS. Disable the Silicon controller entirely. Then you won't need SATA drivers. It will be seen as if its an IDE.

Make doubly sure the port your hd is on, is listed second in the boot order (third if you have a floppy drive) (should be cd drive, floppy, hd)

Make doubly sure the connection is secure (some people tape them). If you have red & black ports, use a black one.

Before you start another re-install, get a W98 (or ME) boot floppy - boot to an "A" prompt - invoke fdisk - remove all partitions. DO NOT FORMAT HERE!

When you come to the partitioning/formatting part of the install, choose the NTFS long format. Not the Quick. If it finds bad spots, it will isolate them. Quick does not surface scan.

Hopefully the install will go well. If so, I want you to run chkdsk before you do any updating. Keep your comp disconnected from the net all during this stuff. Right-click the "C" drive - Properties - Tools - Error Checking - check both boxes and reboot. When chkdsk completes (40-55 minutes), go to Control Panel - Admin Tools - Event Viewer - Application - look for Winlogon near the top on the right side. Open it and look about 2/3rds of the way down for a listing of bad sectors. Chkdsk is even more aggressive than format in isolating trouble spots. If you have none, your hd is okay - it is not the problem.