Remove icons from sys. tray without stopping the program ?

Lord-Ilpolazzo

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Is it possible to remove icons from the system tray *without* removing the programs they belong to? For example, i would like to be able to stop msn placing an icon in the system try when it is running. Some programs let you choose whether you want a system try icon, but not all. For example icons belongin to windows such as the LAN connection icon...

This is possible if the hide innactive icons box is checked in taskbar properties, one can hide whatever icons you want, but it means you have that little << expansion button arrow thingy on the left of the system tray to clikc which expands and shows the hidden icons, which id rather not have. I like to have all icons there are displayed and none hidden.

Strange request i appreciate, but id be grateful if anyone can suggest a way to do this

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
in the system tray, right click>choose properties>in this window make sure you are in the "taskbar" tab, at the bottom of this tab hit customize and in the new window you can set to show or hide options for the icons by right clicking on them.

Lord-Ilpolazzo

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
thats the exact thing im trying to avoid doing.. the only way to get to the customize is by enabling the checkbox which puts the taskbar in the mode where it gives the little << arrow thing to expand it..

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
but if you disable all the icons there will be nothing for it to show to have the << arrow ;)

however I think tweack UI has a setting for disabling those icons you can try that if you like

I'm not sure I see the point of what you are trying to do. Personally, when a program is running I like to know it's running by taking a quick glance to the system tray. If you remove the icon from the tray, it can be hard to tell if the program is running and if it is, difficult to open the program window or interact with the program.

Some programs do offer the option to remove their icons from the tray... and that is a good thing... however for those that don't, I'm not sure you have any options.

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
hey I just realized that freshui has feature that allows you to disable all the icons but the clock

its under taskbar settings>system tray/notification area options.