Probability of receiving a DOA component.

Marcus992

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
I'm from Paraguay and I want to buy my PC from Amazon via courier service miami-asunción (they buy you the stuff and you pay $16/Kg). Well the thing is I'm scared to death of receiving a DOA component because If the product fails I'm going to have to send it back and I don't have more money, so, what are the odds of receiving defected products?

BTW this is the rig I want to build:

- ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 LGA 1155
- Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8 GB
- Corsair Enthusiast Series 750-Watt 80 Plus Bronze
- Cooler Master Hyper 212+ 120mm
- Western Digital Caviar Black 500 GB SATA III 7200 RPM
- EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Superclocked 1024MB
- Intel Core i5-2500K Processor

I'm not buying monitor and case from amazon because of the weight, gonna buy them from my country.

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

Unfortunately, it's a reality that electronic components can fail to work straight out of the box or they can go on for years. I buy large amounts over the course of a working year and have maybe three or four DOAs as you call them.

Go ahead and buy - a reputable company would expect you to pay no more than the return postage in those circumstances and you might even get that refunded when the part is proved to be faulty and replaced.

Enjoy our build.

i've built 4 systems through newegg and never received a doa part once.

now..i've had parts fail on me... (mainly hard drives) and had to deal with replacements but never had a product which was faulty from the get go.

that isnt to say that it does not happen. there is always a slight chance. some products more than others. read the reviews...if an abnormally large percentage is claiming that they received a defective product then perhaps there is an assembly line problem and your chances are greater.

in general though....its not a problem

you should think about transportation though. if its via airmail....it may be in for a bumpy ride.