HDMI > Component on CRT HDTV?

Hi,

I'm currently using component cables to interface my CRT HDTV to the cable
company's HD STB.

Both the HDTV and STB have HDMI ports. I've been looking online for a
decently priced HDMI cable ($40 or less) to run between the two. My main
reason for using HDMI is to free up one set of component ports on the HDTV,
but could I also expect any improvment with HDMI over component? If I
remember right, I believe I read once that HDMI (or DVI) really only becomes
a major improvment with truely digital HDTV's (i.e., LCD) and wouldn't have
that much effect for a CRT?

Thanks..
-Eric
8 answers Last reply
More about hdmi component hdtv

    HDMI exists for only one reason....by keeping the signal digital till it's
    inside the set, Hollywood eliminates much opportunity for piracy. It was
    implemented for that reason only...not for "improving" the quality of your
    picture.

    "Eric" <none@nospam.not> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm currently using component cables to interface my CRT HDTV to the cable
    > company's HD STB.
    >
    > Both the HDTV and STB have HDMI ports. I've been looking online for a
    > decently priced HDMI cable ($40 or less) to run between the two. My main
    > reason for using HDMI is to free up one set of component ports on the
    > HDTV,
    > but could I also expect any improvment with HDMI over component? If I
    > remember right, I believe I read once that HDMI (or DVI) really only
    > becomes
    > a major improvment with truely digital HDTV's (i.e., LCD) and wouldn't
    > have
    > that much effect for a CRT?
    >
    > Thanks..
    > -Eric

    Curmudgeon, although Hollywood now insists on content protection for these
    digital connections, I think it is not accurate to say that "it was
    implemented for that reason only." DVI was originally developed by the
    computer industry and it was not always copy protected. Of course now
    everything needs to be DVI-HDCP, which that was definitely Hollywood's
    doing. Another perspective is that the all-digital transition has been
    going on for years. We've had the digital audio cable for some time and
    it's only natural to have a digital video cable as well. HDMI takes this
    one step further by combining the two.

    Eric, a CRT set is an analog display. Basically whichever piece of
    equipment has the better digital to analog converter should be used to do
    the conversion. If that happens to be the DVD player then use component
    cables. If it's the tv, use DVI or HDMI. Honestly though I am guessing you
    wouldn't be able to tell the difference. If buying an HDMI cable is cheaper
    than getting component cables then go ahead and get it. Either one will
    look fantastic.

    Brad

    "curmudgeon" <curmudgeon@buzzoff.net> wrote in message
    > HDMI exists for only one reason....by keeping the signal digital till it's
    > inside the set, Hollywood eliminates much opportunity for piracy. It was
    > implemented for that reason only...not for "improving" the quality of your
    > picture.
    >

    > "Eric" <none@nospam.not> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm currently using component cables to interface my CRT HDTV to the
    >> cable
    >> company's HD STB.
    >>
    >> Both the HDTV and STB have HDMI ports. I've been looking online for a
    >> decently priced HDMI cable ($40 or less) to run between the two. My main
    >> reason for using HDMI is to free up one set of component ports on the
    >> HDTV,
    >> but could I also expect any improvment with HDMI over component? If I
    >> remember right, I believe I read once that HDMI (or DVI) really only
    >> becomes
    >> a major improvment with truely digital HDTV's (i.e., LCD) and wouldn't
    >> have
    >> that much effect for a CRT?
    >>
    >> Thanks..
    >> -Eric

    > Eric, a CRT set is an analog display. Basically whichever piece of
    > equipment has the better digital to analog converter should be used to do
    > the conversion. If that happens to be the DVD player then use component
    > cables. If it's the tv, use DVI or HDMI. Honestly though I am guessing
    you
    > wouldn't be able to tell the difference. If buying an HDMI cable is
    cheaper
    > than getting component cables then go ahead and get it. Either one will
    > look fantastic.

    Hi,

    Thanks for the reply. I have a feeling that my HDTV might do a better
    digital-analog conversion than the digital cable STB (Time Warner's Pace
    HD). The main reason I'm looking to connect using HDMI (well, actually the
    box is DVI out and HDTV is HDMI, so I'll be getting a DVI-HDMI cable) is so
    I can free up a set of component ports on the TV. I've found the component
    passthrough on this Pace STB to not be very good. I want to hook up the
    device going through the passthrough directly to the TV. As for sound, this
    device has it's audio (fiber) going to a DD receiver, so thats not an issue.

    You forget that by using DVI or HDMI one often avoids additional digital to
    analog steps. Also, some DTV's simply have better digital conversion stages
    with additional setup features. This advantage is lost in such sets if
    analog inputs are used. It is dependent upon the hardware used.

    Richard.

    >>We've had the digital audio cable for some time and
    it's only natural to have a digital video cable as well. HDMI takes this
    one step further by combining the two.<<

    A "digital" audio cable ?!?!?! Bull hockey. Coax and component cables are
    just upscale versions of existing techology...no fundamental change to
    accomodate "digital" signals.Ditto optical cables. They both transmit "1"s
    and "0"'s.

    I promise you that manufacturers' would not have implemented HDMI had
    Hollywood not stamped their feet and demanded that there be no analog
    accessible signal outside the tv set chassis. I stand by my statement that
    this standard has nothing to do with picture/sound quality and everything to
    do with anti-piracy paranoia

    Any RCA audio cable will carry digital audio signals between two "coax"
    connections.
    And the optical cable is only a diffeent method of transmission

    On 18-Nov-2004, "Eric" <none@nospam.not> wrote:

    > I've been looking online for adecently priced HDMI cable ($40 or less) to
    > run between the two.

    Wal-Mart has a Philips DVI cable for $27.46; I bought one yesterday. It does
    free up a component connection but I can't see any difference in the video.
    --
    John in Sun Prairie

    > > I've been looking online for adecently priced HDMI cable ($40 or less)
    > > run between the two.
    >

    > Wal-Mart has a Philips DVI cable for $27.46; I bought one yesterday. It
    does
    > free up a component connection but I can't see any difference in the
    video.

    Hi,

    Thanks for the info! I found one online that I was thinking about ordering,
    ($34), but its even better to just pick one up at Walmart!

    John wrote:
    > On 18-Nov-2004, "Eric" <none@nospam.not> wrote:
    >
    >> I've been looking online for adecently priced HDMI cable ($40 or
    >> less) to run between the two.
    >

    > Wal-Mart has a Philips DVI cable for $27.46; I bought one yesterday.
    > It does free up a component connection but I can't see any difference
    > in the video.

    Now if it was a Monster cable, you would see the difference <sic>

HDTV HDMI Components CRT Monitors Home Theatre