Do these symptoms sound like a bad cpu?

FVK

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2005
MSI Neo2 - F
AMD 3000
2 512 mb kingston ram pc3200

So my computer stopped working one day, as soon as the power supply was connected and switched on, the motherboard would power up and the fans would spin.. all hard drives/optical drives etc would turn on. But there was no post, or beeps, just a blank screen (monitor led was flashing). So i narrowed it down that it must be the motherboard/cpu/or memory. I took it in to a technician to check all 3 components and see if one of these was bad, got it back and they said the motherboard was bad, (bad chipset) so the i RMA'd it back to MSI and I just got the replacement today. Problem is .. exact same problem as before, but now i check the D-Bracket diagnostic and it hangs at the first test with 4 red leds, indicating bad cpu..i have tried only one stick of ram, reseating the cpu, etc etc but nothing changed, no beeps from the pc speaker.

Does this sound like a bad cpu? would it cause the board to power up as soon as the supply is connected?

Thanks

meljor

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
when all fans start spinning when you plug in the power cable it`s most likely your ram that is incompatible. try a different brand to test this....

msi boards that i have are very picky about ram brands. i build computers alot and rebuild older ones but i have to say that i see a lot of dead msi mobo`s and this one (i use the p965 neo-f right now) is going to be replaced by an asus p5b because it has it`s flaws also.

no more msi for me, that`s for sure.

tehrobzorz

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
if the comp just hangs with the monitor sayin * no signal *

its most likely the bios. id reset it like verndewd said. im only saying this cause its happend to me countless times when i try to oc. i also fixed my dads friends computer the same way ^^

i could be wrong tho.

FVK

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2005
ive tried resetting the bios a couple times, ive taken the board out and set it on a static bag by itself with just memory, cpu and video card and still the same. The monitor does not say no signal, just a blank screen. THe PSU works fine in the motherboard for my PIV, so i am assuming it isnt that. The memory worked fine up until the 3 weeks ago.. so for almost 2 years it was ok.

greenmachineiijh

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2005
The memory, CPU, and video card are all the current common components and just do some component switching to find the bad one. I would say unfortunately CPU first then your video card may have an issue.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
FVK, I'm having the same issue.

My specs:

FX-60, Asus A8n32 SLI-Deluxe mobo, Corsair XMS ram.

System was running fine for a bit after upgrading to the FX-60, then wham. Bios errors.

I've replaced the motherboard once, and then replaced the bios chip in the new one because the new mobo still didn't work. I'm getting no beeps without the memory installed. I'm sending my CPU back for a replacement. I get fans and power to everything, I've tried using a different PSU too. It's like the system is on but nothing happens at all. Swapped vid cards too. No post, no beeps. Just fans. I'm pretty sure that Asus replaced my bios chip this last time rather than giving me a new motherboard. I asked them to test it to make sure it worked before sending it to me, so no idea. I've had issues with about 3 or 4 Asus boards now in the last 2 years, and I don't think I'll be buying from them anymore for a few years. Their website/tech support seems to have some issues as well. I'm sick of having to pay for shipping and tech support phone calls. Toll free tech support numbers should be standard, or at least live chat that actually responds. I don't care how big a company gets, they can pay to hire and train people for tech support if they're big. The more they sell the more cash they should have to devote to that sort of thing, otherwise they're going to lose my business. This is why in this industry, often the best component makers are the guys you've never heard of. They're not so big that they lack service.

FVK

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2005
so i let the cmos clear all night, tried minim boot with memory, cpu and video card, still the same.. only now the d-bracket indicates BIOS sign on i think.. except the leds are orange instead of green.. so i dont know what that means.

unfortunately i just finished the school term, so i have absolutely no money at the moment ether, so that kind of holds off troubleshooting with other parts for the moment, and taking it in for service

i got a different motherboard back because the s/n is different, i may just send it back and if it still occurs, then ill try a new cpu i guess

bigsby

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
My brother had the same motherboard when he got a computer kit. Because it didn't come with a graphics card he used mine for a little while and it worked fine, but then when he got his it didn't work ever again, we RMAd the board after a few weeks of trying EVERYTHING!!!!, we got a new PSU (the other one was underpowered anyways), we borrowed RAM from a few friends and tried the processor in two other motherboards (the RAM did turn out to be bad too but that wasn't the problem, we RMAd it as well).

Tech support told me there wasn't such thing as a Socket 939 Sempron 3000+, they said it didn't exist, but I proved them wrong (to be fair, there is no s939 sempron on the AMD site, at least that both of us could see).

Anyhoo, the ending of this sad story was that we got another one back and it didn't work either, we did some more extensive tests, got everything tested again, eventually brought it into a local shop where they tested everything as well, and were almost as stumped as we were. Luckily they just got in an MSI Neo4 motherboard, and they brought everything over from the old motherboard to that one and it booted perfectly!

We bought that motherboard, RMAd the other one again and haven't touched it since. His computer works great (except for when he screws it up, like right now, lol)

The Neo2 is just not a very good motherboard, lots of people having problems with it.

FVK

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2005
ok, so i am pretty sure my power supply has been zapping the boards... unfortunuately i lost 2 other mobo/s to figure this out.. but after i tried the power supply on other boards they did the exact same thing, (except they dont turn on automatically like the msi)

hopefully i can get an rma again for the board

YodaOfBowling

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
Hey,

I had the same symptoms when I forgot to plug in the 4 pin CPU power. No POST, no beeps, black screen. So, since I am sure you do have it connected, I wonder if it could be the powersupply not supplying power correctly to the 4 pin CPU power....

Just my 2 cents.

FVK

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2005
well i have a new psu on the way Silverstone ST50EF-PLUS 500W , i guess this is what i get for using a thermaltake TR2,

dragon, i had no overclocking running on anything,

FVK

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2005
ok.. so it might not be the psu at all then... because i just got one of the boards i thought it fried running...
then
i took the msi board out for another try out of the case, and with just cpu in i got the memory missing beep, so i put in the memory and got the normal startup beep, so i added a video card next, and it showed bios post, and that there was 1024 mb of ram, and an a64 3000+, if the ram was bad would it show up in the post, or cpu??
- then i thought i was good so i reinstalled into the case, now i am right back to where i started, no beep, no post, took it back out and put it on the foam pad, same thing, no beep, no post.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Turns out my FX-60 is bad. I took the FX-55 out of my mATX system, and plopped it into my SLI system. Hey, what do you know? I got beeps. This tells me it IS my CPU that's not functioning correctly. 2 motherboards later...sheesh. Probably wasn't even the motherboard in the first place. Unless the mobo screwed up the CPU....

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
ok.. so it might not be the psu at all then... because i just got one of the boards i thought it fried running...
then
i took the msi board out for another try out of the case, and with just cpu in i got the memory missing beep, so i put in the memory and got the normal startup beep, so i added a video card next, and it showed bios post, and that there was 1024 mb of ram, and an a64 3000+, if the ram was bad would it show up in the post, or cpu??
- then i thought i was good so i reinstalled into the case, now i am right back to where i started, no beep, no post, took it back out and put it on the foam pad, same thing, no beep, no post.

Sometimes whatever you do, there is simply something wrong....

Hmmm.
So it's not the PSU and you say you have OK ram. BTW did you try running memtest 86? At least you'd be sure if you pass memtest 86 that it's probably not (emphasis on probably) the ram.

Are you sure that when you put it back in the case you used the right screws? Cause my friend used the wrong screw(s) for the board and had a screwdriver sticking in the mobo (unknowingly) and he thought he fried the damn thing, turns out the board was just grounded. He replaced the correct screws, removed the screwdriver and everything went fine.

Oh yeah other things to check:

PSU - test on other similar or higher end system, maybe it isn't giving enough juice.

Proc - on another mobo, if it works with Prime95, then maybe it's the mobo.

Mobo - if it boots with a different proc, maybe your proc is bad.

RAM - if it works in a different system and Memtest86 says it's good, it's either you mobo is generally bad of the ram slots might just be dirty.

Video Card - maybe the vid card is just bad, try replacing with one that is confirmed to work. I did have a card once that doesn't display anything on screen but no beep from the board.

If you did replace the CPU and RAM and PSU from a different working system then it's probably the mobo.

FVK

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2005
well i have no way of running memory test because it is the only ddr mobo i have, and it wont start :(

i have another rma for the motherboard now though, so ill try it with the new psu when it gets in.. if it doesnt work then at least i know its the cpu or memory.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
If you get no beeps with your case speaker plugged in then it's not your memory. :) Most likely the CPU. If you plug in nothing but the power and CPU, and try switching PSU's, then it's your mobo or your CPU. If your mobo is under warranty, try a replacement maybe, or take it to a shop. Testing a part like your CPU at a shop might be cheaper than the shipping costs of getting a replacement mobo. Try calling a local shop and seeing what their prices are to test your CPU or mobo.

xXSanitariumXx

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
FVK,

honestly it sounds like your CPU has issues, and if you surf the web you can find cheap OEM replacements for most of the older CPUs like the one your using. I just had to replace mine as well which I will be replacing with an x2 AMD M2+ CPU & it was only $40.00 free shipping & handling.

To the other guy having problems with ASUS boards, its a shame as I can honestly say I have never had any problems with ASUS motherboards myself & before I got my Biostar A740G M2+ motherboard ASUS was my choice pick. I stick with Biostar now more so for the better upgrade features & the fact that Biostar is always quick to reply to any question or problems that I may face, and its free advice/help. Now days I refuse to buy a motherboard that doesn't support at least 16GBs + memory of DDR2/DDR3 memory, and has at least 6 SATA ports as IDE devices are a thing of the past for me.

As for the ram its also very easy to find good deal on good gaming memory online with free shipping as well. I am running 16GBs of DDR2 800 at the current time of Kingston gamer memory which is my choice memory.

Hope this helps,
xXSanitariumXx