Installing another operating system

Themoniter61

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
I Have a 400gb Hard drive partitioned into 2 parts. One is the 20gb C: partition were Windows XP (home) and some other programs are installed. The other is the 380GB E: partition were all my media, games and other large software apps are installed. In the next month i am either going to install Vista or upgrade to a 64 bit version of windows XP. Will i still be able to use my apps on the E: drive when i install the new OS onto C: (Assuming that the C Drive is Formatted)?

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
if you have just files in E you will be fine but if you have anthing actuall programs installed in E then no they won't work.

any apps on E are an extension of C if you will and without C will not run ;)

G

If you Upgrade to the 32-bit version of Vista, your programs would probably still work.

Grumpy

G

I said UPGRADE not INSTALL. Upgrades don't format the C: drive.

Grumpy

G

If you want a 64-bit version of WIndows, you're better off with Vista. You can't Upgrade 32-bit Windows to 64-bit so you need a clean install. From the FAQ about 64-bit XP Pro, "No, you can't upgrade. You can use the Technology Advancement Program until the end of July, 2005, to exchange your copy of Windows XP Professional for the x64 Edition of Windows XP Professional, but doing so replaces your existing license with the new license. The actual installation of Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is a fresh install, not an upgrade. All your programs will have to be reinstalled, and if you have data on the same drive as your operating system, it will be wiped out. Make a thorough backup of your important files before doing the installation."

Vista has better support for 64-bit.

Grumpy