First build questions, w/links...

phoenixrevival

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
Ok, I've decided against using cyberpowerpc (I think) and want to go back to my original idea of building it myself, BUT this will be the first time I've ever done it from scratch.

I'm pretty firm on most of what I'm going with here, but still want your guys' expertise on how you feel about my choices. My uses will be HTPC, light video editing (home movies), light gaming (maxing WoW options would be highest I need), and normal everyday tasks like Word, Excel, and internet.

Here's the list with my $1,500 budget:

Mobo - $128.99 - ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

CPU - $235 - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

GPU - $199.99 - EVGA 256-P2-N761-AR GeForce 8600GTS 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail

PSU - $84.99 - ENERMAX Whisper II EG565P-VE FMA(24P) ATX12V Ver 2.0 535W Power Supply 115/230 V UL, cUL, TUV, CB - Retail

Tuner - $89.99 - Hauppauge 1062 PCI Interface WinTV-PVR-150 MCE Kit Tuner Card - Retail

CASE - $78 - Tuniq IC-SYMI-SVBK Black/ Silver Aluminum front bezel, 0.6mm SECC chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

HDD - $139.99 - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

RAM - $129.99 - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

CARD READER - $59.99 - XION XON-ATC001 Thermal Control Panel - Retail

OPTICAL - $31.49 - LITE-ON 20X IDE DVD Burner - Retail

OS - $111.99 - Microsoft Windows Vista 32-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM

KEYBOARD/MOUSE - $134.99 - Microsoft 69Z-00001 Silver 101 Normal Keys 18 Function Keys USB Bluetooth Wireless Ergonomics Entertainment Desktop 7000 Mouse Included - Retail

SPEAKERS - $78.99 - Logitech X-540 70 watts 5.1 Speaker - Retail

Already have this 19" wide monitor (1440x900) and a 30" wide hdtv for TV and Video probably using overlay or something - going to upgrade the TV maybe end of the year.

Total is $1,504.39 and hoping the CPU comes down a little more in a few days here as rumored.

Pre-empitive critiques:

1. I know the speakers aren't the best, but will suit my needs just fine.
2. I'm going to overclock, but not until after I get everything set up so the fans and heatsink will be upgraded when I do that for better cooling.
3. I'm pretty partial to the case as it goes nice with my living room setup.
4. I don't think I need dual tuner right now, but can always add a second one in the future if I decide I want to.

Basically, I'm really just making sure that all of these components will work together as far as easy compatability for a first-time builder. I also want to know if I need to buy anything else like wires, or will everything I need be provided with each of the components on the list here?

Ravage777

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007
Im really new to this forum but for a video card i might suggest you look into those ovrclock brand video cards because if i recall correctly its about the same price but thier built overclocked and if its roughly the same price and your not using the sli option for the same price why not get a third more power for your punch,the one i seen was also 256 mgs.

Ravage777

Denaun

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Just my 2 cents RE the video card - there seems to be alot of negative press about the 8600GTS. I bought one about 4 days ago and it's been awsome thus far. I've never actually seen a higher end car in action though, so maybe i'm a bit biased.

phoenixrevival

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
Thanks for replies so far, keep 'em coming :D

mpilch - That psu I chose after looking at one of the links in you sig actually, lol. Your alternative puts me quite a bit over my price range especially when factoring in shipping...that enermax one should be good though right? I want to keep the option open for possibly SLI on the 8600gts down the road when they are only like $100-$150 or upgrading to an 8900 if I start playing more games like I used to.

ravage - it's $20 more for the oc'd version, which is something I can do myself IF I feel I need to, but I doubt I will for the only game I really play - WoW.

Denaun - what games do you play and with what settings on that card? have you tried the supposedly upgraded PureVideo watching a movie through it?

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
Pretty good start, not much to pick apart. You seemed to have thought it out and the parts look fine, That is the new CPU price. the only thing I would drop is the card reader.

phoenixrevival

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
ok, i updated my "cart" on newegg for the antec psu you suggested - i really don't know much about psu's so i'm going on what you guys say.

alcattle - yeah, that price just changed, but i'm hoping that post that has been flying around is more accurate because it had it down to like $215 i think. i knew someone would say to drop that card reader, lol. i need a regular card reader and kind of wanted a digital sensor so i found that and kind of like it for eye candy too :D I may have to drop it though for my budget unless I drop the cpu down to like the 6320 coming out or something (my original choice was the 4300 or 4400 so i may go that route too).

Also, what about my question: will everything I need be included in the packages so I can just sit down and build this thing?

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
Did you pick the 8600 for the dx-10? a x1950 beats it everything else. I was thinking about you might need the reader, and you want the eye candy, so be it.

phoenixrevival

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
i'm going with the 8600gts because my original setup was with a 7600gt that would do everything i need it for (i think anyway). after reading some of the new features for the g86 even over the g80 in terms of video, i figured i might as well get this one for slightly better performance and also be ready for dx10 - don't really care about how well it will perform for Cryis since I most likely won't play it anyway lol. and if i do, i'll just upgrade at that time i guess which isn't for quite a while still right?

so i'll have everything i need? great, thanks. do you know if newegg's return policy for doa or faulty is 30 after purchase or 30 days after arrival? i'm trying to plan out WHEN i should place the order as i'm still about 5-6 weeks from being back stateside, but i want to make sure the stuff is all there when i get back - alotting for possible backorders or shipment delays also. with my luck and all this stuff i'm ordering, i'm positive at least one thing will be jacked up. :roll:

phoenixrevival

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
i would, but the reasons on ordering it soon - like the next 2 weeks - are complicated, but it's a MUST that this system can be built the first week i'm back, and i have to use the money intended for it very soon to be safe also.