Sign in with
Your question

Still have AGP - which CPU & Motherboard?

Last response: in CPUs
April 21, 2007 11:26:04 AM

Hi,

Could really do with some advice. I currently run the following setup:

K8N Neo Platinum
AMD 64 3000+ (Socket 754)
2 Gig DDR1
Geforce 7800 GS (AGP 8x)

Can you see where this is going? I have a fairly new graphics card which I want to keep but I want to increase processing power.

It's been a while since I build this setup and I haven't been following the CPU progression (I'm not even sure what's the latest socket for Intel or AMD!).

But anyway - can anyone advise me as to what board and CPU I should get but I want to keep my graphics card and RAM? Or what options do I have?!

Less than £200 preferably.

Many thanks.

More about : agp cpu motherboard

April 21, 2007 11:36:28 AM

There are very few options available, AGP is all but dead, and most boards that have AGP slots are on there way out.

Your best bet would be an ASRock 775Dual-VSTA with a low end C2D, like the E4300. You get a C2D, awesome performance, and the Dual-VSTA has DDR1 and AGP support, so you can keep both your ram and gfx card.

I only know of like 1 uk store, so I wont/cant post links to the items, but it should come out to around £200.
April 21, 2007 11:48:10 AM

I agree with apt. Might be better of if you could sell that system.

But I can understand you would perhaps want to use what you've brought. I'm the same way... hehe

Since I'm in the USA, I only saw from NewEgg for AM2 MB with AGP X4/X8 here are some examples on both sides AM2/C2D:

MSI K9MM-V Socket AM2 VIA K8M800 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
&
BIOSTAR K8M800 Micro AM2 Socket AM2 VIA K8M800 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

On the Intel side:

PC CHIPS P27G (V3.0B) LGA 775 VIA P4M800 PRO Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

ASRock 775i65G LGA 775 Intel 865G Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

ECS P4M800PRO-M2 V2.0 LGA 775 VIA P4M800 PRO Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA LGA 775 VIA PT880 Ultra ATX Intel Motherboard

There are others for Intel, the last one I linked is not a micro ATX board. If you stick with AGP, you won't have too many choices to look at, and will as other limitations the boards may have, such as memory capacity, which may be a factor if you want to move on to vista.

GL on shopping.
Related resources
April 21, 2007 11:50:21 AM

Many thanks both for your help.

I think the ASRock 775Dual-VSTA will be a good option - as I can use this new setup for another year or so and by that time I can then move on and renew everything in one go.

I should have said I use my PC for gaming - can anyone give me some sense of what the difference between the AMD 64 3000+ and the E4300 would be?

Thanks.
April 21, 2007 11:55:30 AM

An E4300 at stock speeds is a little faster then an X2 4200+ in most things, so it will trample a single or dual core 3000+.
April 21, 2007 11:59:20 AM

Sounds good!

One last question - I've been looking at the web site for the ASRock 775Dual-VSTA and I can't figure out what it supports (in terms of the fastest C2D CPU)??

Any help?

Ta.
a c 159 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
a c 435 V Motherboard
April 21, 2007 12:22:55 PM

It should support all current cpus except the 4400 and 6420 (or any newer cpus released in the last 2 weeks). Bios version 2.50 supports the e4300.
April 21, 2007 12:24:58 PM

The Dual-VSTA will run every C2D out right now, besides the new ones like o1die said. A BIOS update would/will solve that though.
April 21, 2007 12:26:15 PM

Thanks - still a bit confused by all the different socket types and their CPU ranges but I'm off to research it!

Thanks again.
April 21, 2007 12:37:26 PM

I'm not sure that in building a system around your AGP card now, and then ditching all of it next year you wont be wasting more money in the long run.

If I were you I think that I would wait, stick with what yu've got, and save another £150 quid and make the switch over to a PCI-e based system in a couple of months (or longer if that's how long it'll take you to save). After all I'm unsure you'll see a significant games performance hike by changing your board and proccy but sticking with that card - I think that you may be dissapointed.

If you save, invest in a decent mobo with PCI-e, paired with a low end CPU, memory, mid priced gfx you will see a considerable perf hike....you will also be able to upgrade without buying a new board. You could do all that for around £350, cheaper by the time you have saved as the prices on components will have dropped by then.

Make sense?

PS - what games (I presume thats what you do) do you want to be able to play?
April 21, 2007 12:45:45 PM

Think I'm going to go for the E4300 - this should run right out of the box eh?

Anyone know good places to by the board and CPU?

Many thanks guys.
April 21, 2007 2:07:07 PM

Overclockers if u r in the UK....google it. Still think ur gonna be dissapointed, but its your cash m8....Also u should wait till monday as Intel will announce price cuts tomorrow and release the E4320.
April 21, 2007 4:13:50 PM

Quote:
Overclockers if u r in the UK....google it. Still think ur gonna be dissapointed, but its your cash m8....Also u should wait till monday as Intel will announce price cuts tomorrow and release the E4320.

Hadn't seen your post until I made mine. Just thinking if it maybe best to squeeze the last processing power my motherboard will allow i.e. the AMD socket 754 3700+

These are hard to get though - unless anyone knows of somewhere UK???
April 21, 2007 5:00:14 PM

Quote:

Hadn't seen your post until I made mine. Just thinking if it maybe best to squeeze the last processing power my motherboard will allow i.e. the AMD socket 754 3700+

These are hard to get though - unless anyone knows of somewhere UK???

Yep...I think your really going to struggle to find those cpu's in the UK, at least on line...you might get lucky if you pop along to your local small computer shop, maybe they have one gathering dust on a shelf.

Do you overclock your cpu currently? That may be one way to squeeze a bit more from it.

I guess you want to ask yourself what do want the extra power for? If its to run the latest games I think your bottleneck will be with GFX card anyhow.

Seriously...consider holding off on any spend now, save a bit more and move to PCI-e when u can afford it, because even if you buy a new mobo and cpu but stick with the AGP card you will not be able to play the latest titles in anything like their full glory.

I know waiting is hard but if you can, it'll be well worth while

EDIT: They can be had on ebay, just looked - £120 buy it now price ...so not cheap
April 21, 2007 5:34:02 PM

hi

me too am planning to get this cheap C2D E4300 / Asrock 4CoreDual-VSTA combo.

but would I be able to OC that to 2.6Ghz (289*9) with the following memory?

Kingston KVR667D2N5K2/2G, 2048 MB, DDR2, PC5300, 667 MHz (2x1024MB)

thanks in advance!
April 21, 2007 6:12:58 PM

Again...If you're planning on this as a gaming rig, what's the point of sticking with AGP, as no matter how much u oc the proccy you're bottlenecked by the gfx, in fact even without an oc you're still bottlenecked by the AGP - ie you will not see much, if any, gaming performance increase.
April 21, 2007 6:45:35 PM

no problem, I'm not planning to use this as a gaming rig

can somebody help me on my original question?
thanks
April 22, 2007 1:22:32 AM

...in that case, no, you shouldnt have a problem with that overclock. Just make sure that the RAM is compatible with the board...check the mobo forum and see.
April 22, 2007 1:29:36 AM

Quote:

i just ordered my 4coredualvsta and a e4400, i'd say go with the e4400 cause its only like 10 bucks more expensive.
April 22, 2007 1:33:43 AM

If you're gonna get a that Asrock mobo, you'd better act fast. Asrock may cancell it's production in favor of a newer design based on the PM890 chipset.
April 22, 2007 2:12:39 AM

if i were you i would spend the cash on an amd socket 939 CPU( very cheap now ) and an asrock 939 mobo, reason is you can keep your ddr1 ram and AGP card( and run it at ull whack ), it allows you to add an AM2 daughterboard( which supports AM2 & DDR2 ) and o course is sata 2.

Ive done that with my massivly OC'd agp 850pro, AMD 4200+ and old ram that i got for my old dell 4600 on my other build, it overclocks easily by 20% and is fantastic value for money( the mobo is only about £40 if you can find one id buy fast for both mobo and processor )

The performance of that other build is surprisingly good, 6600 in 3dmark 05, 54xx in pcmark, i was using my xfx7800gtx on that board also, theres 400 difference in 3dmark05 compared to my current cpu, mobo, ram and around 200 in 3dmark06( just to give you performance figures, makes you wonder about DDR2 :)  )

Otherwise go with the socket 775 asrock, but it will mean you have to scrap your ram
April 22, 2007 3:02:17 AM

Quote:
if i were you i would spend the cash on an amd socket 939 CPU( very cheap now ) and an asrock 939 mobo, reason is you can keep your ddr1 ram and AGP card( and run it at ull whack ), it allows you to add an AM2 daughterboard( which supports AM2 & DDR2 ) and o course is sata 2.

AM2 daughterboard? 8O Link?
April 22, 2007 5:50:54 AM

Quote:
Otherwise go with the socket 775 asrock, but it will mean you have to scrap your ram

ermm....The 4COREDUAL-VSTA/DUAL-VSTA boards support both DDR and DDR II ram.
April 22, 2007 3:16:31 PM

Quote:

ermm....The 4COREDUAL-VSTA/DUAL-VSTA boards support both DDR and DDR II ram.
you are right, just saw that, in which case i definately recommend the COREDUAL-VSTA/DUAL-VSTA boards to the OP
April 22, 2007 5:13:08 PM

Quote:

i just ordered my 4coredualvsta and a e4400, i'd say go with the e4400 cause its only like 10 bucks more expensive.
well it's 20 euro more in my shop, and actually I already ordered the E4300 anyway :p 
but the E4400 is also a good buy undoubtably

thanks for the replies everyone!

//edit
oh, would anyone happen to know if a scythe mine CPU cooler fits on this board (asrock 4coredual-vsta) ?
April 22, 2007 7:34:07 PM

Quote:

well it's 20 euro more in my shop, and actually I already ordered the E4300 anyway :p 
but the E4400 is also a good buy undoubtably

thanks for the replies everyone!

//edit
oh, would anyone happen to know if a scythe mine CPU cooler fits on this board (asrock 4coredual-vsta) ?
I have a scythe mine cooler, i dont see why it wouldnt, the mobo holes to attach it are the same on all 775 boards, just make sure you have a decent PSU and space in your case for it( its about 4 inches high if you put the mobo down flat )
April 22, 2007 8:59:58 PM

well I've had some problems mounting the scythe mine before because there were capicators in the way preventing it, so that's why I ask, but I have to admit in this case the area around the socket looks pretty spacy :D 
April 22, 2007 10:25:25 PM

Quote:
well I've had some problems mounting the scythe mine before because there were capicators in the way preventing it, so that's why I ask, but I have to admit in this case the area around the socket looks pretty spacy :D 

Ahh right get you now, the scythe mine is a pain in the a** to install, my thumbs are killing me still from installing it 2 weeks ago, ohh and whoever wrote the installation instructions should be shot, i had the fan blowing the wrong direction the first time i installed it( stupid mistake :)  ), grr, so OP make sure you dont do that and check the air direction first
April 23, 2007 3:22:29 AM

dude ebay it and start fresh - really don't hang on
May 25, 2007 10:54:29 AM

Well its been a while since I last posted here as I was happy just to leave my system as it was - unfortunately I managed to blow my board last night fixing a sat nav (don't ask), anyway now I have to get a new board and cpu.

I am going with the 4CoreDual-VSTA and E4400 chip.

What I would like to know is - how can you tell exactely which processors are compatible with these boards? All it says is:

compatible wih LGA 775 for Intel® Core™ 2 Extreme / Core™ 2 Duo / Pentium® XE / Pentium® D / Pentium® 4 / Celeron®

but does that mean it supports EVERY C2D in the range? How can you tell?!

Many thanks.
May 25, 2007 1:29:51 PM

Not every C2D, the new, unreleased, Core 2's with a 1333mhz FSB arent supported. Everything else is though. The board says it supports 1066mhz, 800mhz, and 533mhz FSB's, the E6xxx series runs off a 1066mhz FSB and the E4xxx series all use an 800mhz FSB. 800mhz FSB support + C2D support = E4400 support.
May 25, 2007 2:16:49 PM

Many thanks - relieved as I've just ordered the board.

Can't believe PC world now has CPU's cheaper than online - E4400 = £89 lets hope it works on the board without having to go through any BIOS updates.

Ta.
May 25, 2007 2:33:18 PM

Quote:
Many thanks - relieved as I've just ordered the board.

Can't believe PC world now has CPU's cheaper than online - E4400 = £89 lets hope it works on the board without having to go through any BIOS updates.

Ta.

It will work peachy, CPU's and memory prices are falling every day, its a great consumer market. Ohh and on my previous comments on the scythe mine cooler, installation was only difficult on asus boards it seems, took me all of 30 seconds to install it on the evga 680i
May 25, 2007 3:00:01 PM

cheers. :D 
!